Law School Discussion

merit aid: LSAT or GPA?

foxnewssucks

Re: merit aid: LSAT or GPA?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 05:20:33 PM »
tuition is just around $32,500 for this year

That is some nice money your roomate got.  He have any special degrees or anything?

r_poster

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 05:22:37 PM »
You are certain that was all merit and not merit plus need?

Emory is notoriously stingy with its aid.  Not because it gives less aid, but because it does not distribute it widely.  The only people I know who got scholarship offers from Emory recived full tuition "Emory Scholarships" everyone else seemed to get loans despite their impressive (to me) stats.

dgatl

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 05:24:26 PM »
tuition is just around $32,500 for this year

That is some nice money your roomate got.  He have any special degrees or anything?

He has a business degree (BS).  Don't know if he is considered URM, because he is indian, but he's from trinidad. 

In the past month we've lived together, I think I've spoken with him for a total of 15 minutes, so I can't help you much more.

You are certain that was all merit and not merit plus need?

Emory is notoriously stingy with its aid. Not because it gives less aid, but because it does not distribute it widely. The only people I know how got scholarship offers from Emory recived full tuition "Emory Scholarships" everyone else seemed to get loans despite their impressive (to me) stats.

This could be why I didn't get anything  >:(  I filled out the FAFSA for the first time and took the federal sub stafford this year, but I doubt i'll take it from next year - waste of time dealing with them fuckers.

r_poster

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

This could be why I didn't get anything >:( I filled out the FAFSA for the first time and took the federal sub stafford this year, but I doubt i'll take it from next year.

Would not be surprised at all.  If you look at their fin aid stats for earlier years (don't know about the most recent one), less than 1% of students got scholarships, but the average scholarship was full-tuition. I guess that's one way of recruiting...