Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can't Get In!  (Read 5945 times)

twarga

Re: Can't Get In!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 09:55:12 AM »
Not everyone who takes the LSAT realizes that it is far different from the SAT in terms of taking it a second time.  I remember when I took the SAT the first time I figured if I didn't do well I'd just take it again.  I've been in a military environment for the past 12 years (in the JAG office with lawyers, luckily) and I know that unless there's someone in your life to stress the importance of the LSAT, you simply won't know.  Last year, when I decided to take the LSAT, I didn't know how important it was or that I needed to really study for it, etc. until one of the young JAGs pulled me aside and told me.  If I had been working on the flightline instead of the legal office, I can guarantee you I would not have been given that advice.  Military people usually take distance learning courses or classes on base offered by colleges like OU and UMUC.  The LSAT buzz that goes around on traditional campuses just isn't there for non-traditional students like military members.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 10:24:54 AM »
Not everyone who takes the LSAT realizes that it is far different from the SAT in terms of taking it a second time. I remember when I took the SAT the first time I figured if I didn't do well I'd just take it again. I've been in a military environment for the past 12 years (in the JAG office with lawyers, luckily) and I know that unless there's someone in your life to stress the importance of the LSAT, you simply won't know. Last year, when I decided to take the LSAT, I didn't know how important it was or that I needed to really study for it, etc. until one of the young JAGs pulled me aside and told me. If I had been working on the flightline instead of the legal office, I can guarantee you I would not have been given that advice. Military people usually take distance learning courses or classes on base offered by colleges like OU and UMUC. The LSAT buzz that goes around on traditional campuses just isn't there for non-traditional students like military members.

As someone with a military background, I sympathize with your situation but I just don't agree that you need someone else to tell you about it firsthand.  There are plenty of people who have been out of school for quite some time that figure out the importance of the LSAT.  It is clear from just about every law school admissions source-whether from each school individually or any of the numerous admissions guidebooks and LS-oriented websites-that the LSAT is a major factor.  Heck, people even study for the ASVAB!

To me, it's just like any other pre-requisite for any job/career path.  It is your responsibility to do the research and figure out what the pre-requisites are and the relative importance of each. 

As far as taking the LSAT multiple times, that is addressed in the LSAC Registration Book and most school admissions materials state whether they average the score or not.
Fed gov't atty

twarga

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »
Of course, I can only speak from my own experience.  I just got back from a 5-year tour in Germany and the buzz on the base was about the mission and upcoming exercises, not grad school entrance exams (even though many people take classes on base).  What really drove it home for me was last weekend I did my reserve drill and had lunch with a sergeant who's taking the LSAT in the fall.  His "academic advisor" told him to take it cold to "get a feel" for the test and to sign up under a false identity to keep from having a bad score stick to him.  And she assured him that he can always just take it again (like the SAT).  I was shocked!  Many of us just live in a bubble, I guess. 

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Of course, I can only speak from my own experience.  I just got back from a 5-year tour in Germany and the buzz on the base was about the mission and upcoming exercises, not grad school entrance exams (even though many people take classes on base).  What really drove it home for me was last weekend I did my reserve drill and had lunch with a sergeant who's taking the LSAT in the fall.  His "academic advisor" told him to take it cold to "get a feel" for the test and to sign up under a false identity to keep from having a bad score stick to him.  And she assured him that he can always just take it again (like the SAT).  I was shocked!  Many of us just live in a bubble, I guess. 

You guys are arguing about something pointless and just personal opinion, although i would tend to agree with you - I don't think that someone telling you that the LSAT is important is a bad thing!

I'm more curious about where you are applying with your numbers? They are close to where i am GPA-wise, and my LSAT-preps are around your score (i'm studying for the June test, applying next cycle). I'm a older non-trad, never done the military thing, but 10+ years in the high-tech field. I'm looking at the D.C. area, and i assume you are there if you are JAG.

twarga

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 07:12:36 PM »
JAGs are at every base in the world, not just D.C.  In fact, I've been stationed at Dover, Spangdahlem and Willow Grove, but never Andrews or Bolling (or the Pentagon).  I want to get a 90-day deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan before school starts this fall (see, we even play in the sand  ;) ).