Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham  (Read 4334 times)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »
Darn it!!!  Am I the only person going on the 30th?!   ???
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
Right now I would not be able to afford the deposit.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 08:05:41 PM »
Right now I would not be able to afford the deposit.

Hmm, well you should probably find a way to remedy that fairly soon because any school you choose is going to want a deposit.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »
Yea, and the federal government will want $762 dollars by April 15th...

deadlines, deadlines....   :(
IU-B '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »
I'm starting to get pissed at Temple (its been a solid 2 months now)...

anyway, if you are dead set on Philly, I'd go Temple.   

If you want to keep options open at all for location on the east coast, that's something you'd want to weigh out first
IU-B '10

anon775

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2007, 02:48:01 PM »
yeh W&L gave me 20k .. its kinda hard to turn down... I'm visiting Emory on friday and W&L on the 24th open house...  i guess for me it'll just come down to if i absolutely hate the atomsphere at either school and if Emory matches the money W&L gave me

I've heard Emory's is a beautiful campus, and I can tell you now that you will not hate the atmosphere at W&L.  I've visited once, and it is the feel and atmosphere of that school that has propelled it to the top of my list, despite the fact that I have acceptances to schools that would better suit my professional ambitions.  Nearly everyone I've come across that visited W&L came away quite charmed.  Sorry to say, I think your decision will be a tough one, unless someone throws some money at you  ;).

By the way, I'll see you at the 24th open house at W&L...

Anyone want to elaborate on Emory's campus?  Going to school in Atlanta sounds awesome, but the pictures of the campus online leave a little to be desired.  Not that that'll be the deciding factor or anything.  I'm just curious.

anon775

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »
This is great to hear.  Their campus map makes it look like the law school is more or less connected to the undergrad campus.  Is that how it works?

As far as endowments go, I really, really hope we luck out in the financial aspect of this whole process.  I FINALLY submitted my css candidate profile.  Hopefully their endowment and the fact that they're decreasing the size of this fall's entering class will help us out!

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
Yep! everything is connected! The undergrad buildings are right nearby. Actually I heard some great news from an admissions person while there! The new Dean (taken from W&L) .. wants to give every single accepted student a scholarship... the school is just waiting on approval for the bigger budget. I"m not sure how large the scholarships will be but looks like everyone will be getting some money! With smaller class sizes and most likely a decreased yield from the scholarships Emory should improve in rankings as well!

I guess one person's "taken" is another person's "given" or "good riddance," it just depends on who's spinning the story.  To wit:

Isn't giving each student a scholarship the exact same as reducing tuition (which Emory certainly can stand to do) by the amount of the lowest scholarship?  This sounds like a typical Partlett (readily given by W&L) marketing gimmick.

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 08:06:11 PM »
Isn't giving each student a scholarship the exact same as reducing tuition (which Emory certainly can stand to do) by the amount of the lowest scholarship?  This sounds like a typical Partlett (readily given by W&L) marketing gimmick.

Either way, I'd love for Emory to offer me money, no matter what you call it.
Emory '10

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »
I actually thought the same thing myself. I did some research on the new Dean at W&L and he sounds wonderful. Can you tell me more about Partlett? were there problems with him at W&L?

I only know Partlett from a talk he gave at the ASW last April (before he left).  I thought he was a boring speaker.  I'd heard rumors that some Alums were unhappy w/W&L's place in the rankings under Partlett, but that's mere speculation. 

I've heard the new W&L dean (Smolla) speak at a 1st-Amendment lecture, and he is an amazing speaker.  He also looks like a great fit for W&L.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .