Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham  (Read 4304 times)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »
I think that is probably correct.  Of course, you need decent grades and yadda yadda.  But the W&L name will travel fine to Philly if you can convince them you have a reason to be there.  It is certainly more portable than Rutgers-Camden.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
Though I firmly believe there is an advantage to W&L over Emory, whether that advantage is "significant" may depend upon the market in question.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »
I've gotten the impression that W&L's alumni base is much stronger, in terms of loyalty and trying to help out other alums. Can anyone attest to this?
W&L Class of 2010

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »
I think the issue is whether you really can tell where you want to live for the rest of your life at this stage. I'm in a similar situation, accepted at Washington and Lee and SMU. W&L would give me a much portable degree, and would do fairly well in Texas, but SMU would do very well if I wanted to be in Dallas. I just feel that there are too many possibilities for change in the future (for example, wife getting a job somewhere else and needing to relocate, etc.) to choose a school knowing that I will basically be stuck in the same city for me to have the best job options. Also, as previous posters and myself have mentioned, W&L does very well in DC, which I consider a border city (meaning you wouldn't be stuck in the South).

That being said, you could always go to a school like Villanova or Pitt, get a job in a Biglaw firm in Philly or Pittsburgh, work for a while there, and then transfer to another office, even where those schools aren't valued as highly.
This would be an option if I went to SMU (work in Dallas, transfer to Austin after a few years), or W&L (work in DC, transfer to TX after a few years). With those scenarios, however, you never can really plan on things working out according to plan.
W&L Class of 2010

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
My situation is I'm honestly not sure where I want to be after school, so in choosing between W&L and  regional (Pitt, Nova, Rutgers), I looked at how they do in any place I'd POSSIBLY go...

W&L wiped the floor up with Rutgers and was head and shoulders above Pitt 

What I found interesting though was that Temple seems to do surprising well outside of Philadelphia; Villanova does ok, but not nearly as good as W&L

Until Temple is satified with all their Feb LSAT's, right now, it's W&L.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »
I've heard great things about Emory.  A lady I work with, her son got accepted there... Both are great in the Southeast and little bit outside of the region.

Did I love W&L (the school).  Definately Yes.

Did I love Lexington....No. 

But like I said, if they offer a good scholarship (5-10K), I'm going there barring a miracle from GULC.  Just gives me more options after school.  Rutgers relegates to Philly, Indiana=DC and Midwest, Pitt=PA and DC if you do well.

That being said, I'll most likely need an extension from Indiana, to see what money W&L offers
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
yeh W&L gave me 20k .. its kinda hard to turn down... I'm visiting Emory on friday and W&L on the 24th open house...  i guess for me it'll just come down to if i absolutely hate the atomsphere at either school and if Emory matches the money W&L gave me

I've heard Emory's is a beautiful campus, and I can tell you now that you will not hate the atmosphere at W&L.  I've visited once, and it is the feel and atmosphere of that school that has propelled it to the top of my list, despite the fact that I have acceptances to schools that would better suit my professional ambitions.  Nearly everyone I've come across that visited W&L came away quite charmed.  Sorry to say, I think your decision will be a tough one, unless someone throws some money at you  ;).

By the way, I'll see you at the 24th open house at W&L...
W&L '10

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »
Yeah, honestly, if you are trying to convince yourself not to go to W&L, for whatever personal reason that may be, I would suggest not visiting the school.  The setting is bucolic, the atmosphere is relaxed and the student body is unbelievably inviting.  Visting the school led me to choose it over marginally higher ranked schools, and that is the case for a lot of my friends.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
yeh W&L gave me 20k .. its kinda hard to turn down... I'm visiting Emory on friday and W&L on the 24th open house...  i guess for me it'll just come down to if i absolutely hate the atomsphere at either school and if Emory matches the money W&L gave me

I've heard Emory's is a beautiful campus, and I can tell you now that you will not hate the atmosphere at W&L.  I've visited once, and it is the feel and atmosphere of that school that has propelled it to the top of my list, despite the fact that I have acceptances to schools that would better suit my professional ambitions.  Nearly everyone I've come across that visited W&L came away quite charmed.  Sorry to say, I think your decision will be a tough one, unless someone throws some money at you  ;).

By the way, I'll see you at the 24th open house at W&L...

Why thank you :)
testing testing 1 2 3

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:22 AM »
...I can tell you now that you will not hate the atmosphere at W&L.  I've visited once, and it is the feel and atmosphere of that school that has propelled it to the top of my list, despite the fact that I have acceptances to schools that would better suit my professional ambitions.  Nearly everyone I've come across that visited W&L came away quite charmed. 

Yeah, tell me about it.