Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham  (Read 4381 times)

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
W&L v. Emory v. Fordham
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
Any thoughts? I'm not really interested in living in NYC or Lexington, but which school is the "better" one or clear front runner? or is it mostly up to me to pick the region I like best? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L v. Emory v. Fordham
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:18:10 PM »
More important question: where do you want to live/practice after law school?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
I would cut Fordham out of the equation - the investment is certainly not worth it, especially if you're not bent on NYC.

I am heavily biased in favor of W&L, but I couldn't say that you'd be an idiot to pick Emory if you were leaning heavily that way for some reason.  But, all things equal, I'd say W&L has the edge.

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »
I am interested in a Clerkship after graduation, but have no strong preference for where I want to practice, I just know I will never want to live in NYC. So yes, I think cutting Fordham out of the equation would be smart. If for some reason i have a change of heart I can work my way into NYC rather than be "stuck" in it unsurely. I feel like Emory gives me more geographic mobility than W&L, am I wrong? Why the bias towards W&L? ;) inform me of its many virtues:).......... I live in PA right now and probably want to live in the surrounding are. Maryland, NJ, DE, NC, possibly some parts of VA but not as rural as Lexington.

I don't know how much geographic mobility you'll have from Emory vs. W&L. My sense is that both will place strongly in the South, and you could do well nationally from either school if you are in the top third of the class. Washington & Lee seems to attract a slightly stronger group of students than Emory, but Emory may have more faculty and institutional resources. I think you should visit both schools, talk to students and then go with your instincts about which would be a better fit for you.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
This is just my impression:

Atlanta: W&L = Emory (maybe slight edge for W&L among Atlanta-based firms, like King & Spalding, because of Alumni loyalty?)
Every other city in the South: W&L > (slight edge) Emory (many Southerners view Emory almost as a Northern school because of how many northerners go there, though this may be more true for UG).
DC: W&L > Emory > Fordham.
NYC: Emory = Fordham > W&L.

Feel free to speak up if you disagree, this is just my impression from different lawyers who I've spoken with.
W&L Class of 2010

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
This is just my impression:

Atlanta: W&L = Emory (maybe slight edge for W&L among Atlanta-based firms, like King & Spalding, because of Alumni loyalty?)
Every other city in the South: W&L > (slight edge) Emory (many Southerners view Emory almost as a Northern school because of how many northerners go there, though this may be more true for UG).
DC: W&L > Emory > Fordham.
NYC: Emory = Fordham > W&L.

Feel free to speak up if you disagree, this is just my impression from different lawyers who I've spoken with.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the last point. For NYC, I think Fordham > Emory. But the OP doesn't want to practice in NYC anyway, so it's the first three observations that are really important.

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, as well, but I'm weighing W&L and Notre Dame... So, tag.
W&L '10

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
East Coast: W&L > ND
Chicago/Midwest: ND > W&L
West Coast: ND > W&L
W&L Class of 2010

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
Does anyone know how well W&L would actually place in the Northern cities?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 08:39:45 PM »
I think it places decently (it's still a Top-25 school), but some of the northern cities have comparably ranked schools that would probably trump it (Boston: BC, BU, NYC: Fordham (though much lower ranked). For Philly I have no earthly idea.
W&L Class of 2010