Law School Discussion

UIUC or Vanderbilt?

Re: UIUC or Vanderbilt?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »
edit: I just saw that Illini07 posted more or less the same thoughts I had on the matter before me but in that I already typed this out, I'm just going to leave it.

I think you should also factor in what you want to do when you graduate. If you want to go DOJ or something else in government/public interest, not being up to your ass in debt will be a huge help. I'm likely going JAG when graduate and that was part of my decision in going to UIUC.

If you are looking BigLaw, UIUC is not this death sentence to work in Chicago. Obviously we send tons of our grads there but if you have solid grades, DC/NYC/LA (assuming you want a major market) is well within reach. Just including people I am close friends with here, I've got one buddy going to Skadden's NYC office and another Gibson Dunn's DC office. We also have this cool/totally lame Great American Cities program where partners (UIUC Law alums) of major firms/other hot shots from bigger cities across the country and talk about how to get into those cities as an attorney.

So, while most of us do go to Chicago/St. Louis, you aren't geographically signing your life away.

Best of luck to you.

PS: I'm also happy to address any UIUC specific questions/concerns you have if you want to PM me.