Law School Discussion

UIUC or Vanderbilt?

-

UIUC or Vanderbilt?
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
Both offered $15K/yr., however, I'm an Illinois resident, so UIUC would be considerably cheaper.  I'd like to practice in the Midwest or the South after I graduate.  I'd like to avoid Chicago, though.  Is Vanderbilt worth the debt? 

Re: UIUC or Vanderbilt?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
If I were in-state at UIUC and offered 15K, I would go there over Vandy in a heartbeat.  Then again, I have debt phobia and base my decision on debt first, rankings a close second.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
If you plan to go into any kind of medium or large private firm job go with Vandy.  Even more so since you don't want to be in Chicago.  UIUC is an excellent school, but it obviously puts a significant amount of grads in the Chicago market.  There is certainly something to be said for being debt-free, but there is also something to be said for being right there with the T14 in private firm placement
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1168423325385

-

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:24:44 PM »
Would my job opportunities be significantly better if I attended Vanderbilt?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:57:24 PM »
Yes.  They have better OCI and more national placement.

Ravynous Elegance

• aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Since you could get a great job in chicago at UIUC, I would go there. Especially considering that most large firms have branches in chicago and if you really wanted to avoid it, you could (in theory) suck it up for a few years, then transfer within the firm to a different office. I have a good friend that did that, and it worked out fine for her. She ended up in London from NYC.

Plus, I think debt is a huge factor. Theres a good chance I'm going to graduate with tons of it in loans, and that scares me. I want to be financially free as soon as possible. I'm sure most other people do too. 

-

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
Since you could get a great job in chicago at UIUC, I would go there. Especially considering that most large firms have branches in chicago and if you really wanted to avoid it, you could (in theory) suck it up for a few years, then transfer within the firm to a different office. I have a good friend that did that, and it worked out fine for her. She ended up in London from NYC.

I really, really want to avoid Chicago.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »

I really, really want to avoid Chicago.

Another Illini, that's what I'm talkin bout.  If you want to avoid Chicago, I'd say go with Vandy.  How long have you been in C-U?  For me, I applied as a safety, but I really don't think I could handle 3 more years here, especially since I did UG here.

-

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »

Another Illini, that's what I'm talkin bout.  If you want to avoid Chicago, I'd say go with Vandy.  How long have you been in C-U?  For me, I applied as a safety, but I really don't think I could handle 3 more years here, especially since I did UG here.

I'm from Champaign-Urbana.  I'm not completely committed to attending an out-of-state law school, but it would probably be nice.  I've visited Vandy and I really enjoyed my time there.  UIUC isn't bad, though.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »

I'm from Champaign-Urbana.  I'm not completely committed to attending an out-of-state law school, but it would probably be nice.  I've visited Vandy and I really enjoyed my time there.  UIUC isn't bad, though.

I understand the hesitancy.  I love UIUC, and I love Champaign-Urbana - they've given me an absolutely incredible 4 years that I wouldn't trade for anything.  But I feel like it would be a little depressing to go to law school here, see the undergrads and the familiar surroundings and think "man, I remember when this school was fun"

I also would like to experience going to law school in a bigger city, to get a different experience and perspective.

All that being said, a JD from UIUC is nothing to sneeze at, and it isn't like it will be impossible to get a job anywhere but Chicago.  Do you have any idea what you'd want to do after law school (BIGLAW, mid-size firm, govt, etc)?