Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring...what do I have to do?  (Read 2764 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring...what do I have to do?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 11:18:29 PM »
I agree with Pam.  Plus Jolie said that theres a dude at Mich who transferred there form Cooley.  Obviously, ANYTHING is possible, you just have to work for it.  It seems that the essay is important too, as they want you to have a good reason for transferring.
Columbia 3L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 11:33:48 PM »
Okay, so it's clear now that nothing will change in my cycle. I'll probably get dinged/WL from the rest of the schools pending with the exception (perhaps) of GW (PT) and Fordham. I'm fine with all of these schools, but I always wanted UPenn (for several reasons) and am not ready to give up on this dream. To transfer up to a T10 school from a school ranked 17-27 what do you need to do? Top 15%? Top 10%? What? Anyone have any experience with this? How competitive is it...? I had several great opportunities to transfer from UG and, at the time, my class rank wasn't nearly as great as it ended up being. Is it similar for LS?

I'm going to choose a school based on what feels right for me, and knowing full well that I might be unable to leave but I would still like some insight into how this process works, because I'll do whatever it takes to position myself best to fulfill my dream.

You should also post this on xo since they have more ls students there and ppl who have actually transferred into the t10.  GL

I'm terrified to do that. They crucify everyone who posts anything over there...

Don't be...in all honestly, I find xoxo most informative that lsd when it comes to those who are actually in LS.

Well, Beer deleted his post while I was trying to quote it, but MCB obviously flirts with the dark side! She's an xoxoer!

LOL.  Actually, I just read...no posting for me (at least not yet, i may start once i'm in ls  ;))
Columbia 3L

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »
I imagine it'd be pretty awkward and difficult to ask professors at a very good school for a LOR to transfer to a better school.  Plus, if you're rejected and have to stay put they'd brand you a traitor and nod disapprovingly when you enter the room.  I don't think I'd have the guts. 

Well, the LORs are definitely key for transferring.  I don't really think professors would behave like that, though.  It's not like they stay at the same school for their entire careers (except at H and Y, and who's trying to transfer AWAY from H and Y?), and chances are they didn't graduate from the school they're teaching at, either.  If your interests and abilities are obviously such that you'd be better off in another school, I think professors would encourage you, not hold it against you.

And again with some anecdotal evidence, my SO has a good friend who transferred from Penn to HLS, so obviously it worked out fine for him to ask Penn professors for LORs.  :)
UPenn '10

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 07:15:33 AM »
I imagine it'd be pretty awkward and difficult to ask professors at a very good school for a LOR to transfer to a better school.  Plus, if you're rejected and have to stay put they'd brand you a traitor and nod disapprovingly when you enter the room.  I don't think I'd have the guts. 

I don't think it'd be awkward, with the possible exception of transferring from GW to Georgetown or BU to BC/vice-versa (but no one would do this).

Whatever. I'll go wherever I go happy with my decision/options, and not expecting a thing. If I have the opportunity to get to Penn, then   that'll be icing on the cake.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 07:53:58 AM »
check out the students and graduates section of this site.  Their message board has a section for transfers, though I haven't looked at it so I don't know how helpful it would be

There are tons of transfer posts- much more so than on this board. Although on that side it's usually people who have gotten their grades and wonder what their chances are.

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 09:13:57 AM »

Well, the LORs are definitely key for transferring.  I don't really think professors would behave like that, though.  It's not like they stay at the same school for their entire careers (except at H and Y, and who's trying to transfer AWAY from H and Y?), and chances are they didn't graduate from the school they're teaching at, either.  If your interests and abilities are obviously such that you'd be better off in another school, I think professors would encourage you, not hold it against you.

And again with some anecdotal evidence, my SO has a good friend who transferred from Penn to HLS, so obviously it worked out fine for him to ask Penn professors for LORs.  :)

I was exaggerating about the disapproving nods, but good points.  The toughest LOR's to obtain would probably be from tenured or tenure-track professors invested in the school. 
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 08:27:26 PM »
Bump. I (still) have no idea where I'll be next fall, but it won't be where I started. Though nothing is ever a certainty, my grades suggest that my transferring/job opportunities are unbounded although my dream is still to attend Penn for personal and professional reasons.

I'm not posting this to brag, but to remind those of you who have a dream that it can be done. Don't let what you perceive to be your failures ("bad" LSAT, disappointing GPA, etc.) limit you. Remember that hard work does pay off, and -- above all -- nothing is worth your good health. I'd also like to derail the notion that your LSAT score defines your capacity to succeed during 1L to whatever extent my own anecdotal evidence suffices in this regard.

I'm happy to take questions about 1L life, transferring, jobs or anything else...

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
I'm happy to take questions about 1L life, transferring, jobs or anything else...
where are you in? What was your class rank? How was the transfer process?  Is it like applying to ls all over again (minus the LSAT)? How does this affect your summer job (if at all)? Any advise for those who may at some point transfer?

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
where are you in? What was your class rank? How was the transfer process?  Is it like applying to ls all over again (minus the LSAT)? How does this affect your summer job (if at all)? Any advise for those who may at some point transfer?

1) GW

2) Not exactly sure because they only tell us whether we're 1-15% or 16-35%; based on numbers alone, I'm close to if not at the very top but I can't provide any degree of precision.

3) Transferring is more paperwork. I'm not applying to a lot of schools, but generally speaking each school has their own way. Some want everything through LSAC, others won't accept that way, etc...be prepared with everything so when you get your grades back you can work quickly and decisively.

4) Hang in there. As this post history hopefully conveys, I was very dejected and not expecting much at all. Don't let those feelings get you down...I almost did, and I would not have been nearly as successful if I didn't keep it all in perspective.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »
Sorry I should have clarified. When I asked where you were in I meant where has your transfer application been accepted? On a related note, where all did you apply?