Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28164 times)

J Five

• View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
In the 80s and 90s you could get away with getting a good legal job in Miami without speaking Spanish or Portuguese. Today, no way. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese (or French Creole for some firms), it is extremely difficult to get a good legal job in Miami. Spanish is the primary language spoken in Miami, not English. Just like you can't find a good legal job in Montreal if you don't speak French.
If this truly is the case, then I feel that I've been lied to by UM Law's office of admissions.  I outright asked a law admissions officer if Spanish would be required to get a good job out of law school, and while I was informed that it would be to my benefit to have at least a moderate level of competency, I was outright told that it is absolutely not necessary to know Spanish/Portuguese and a lack of understanding of either language shouldn't be of major concern in landing a good legal job.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
In the 80s and 90s you could get away with getting a good legal job in Miami without speaking Spanish or Portuguese. Today, no way. If you can't speak Spanish or Portuguese (or French Creole for some firms), it is extremely difficult to get a good legal job in Miami. Spanish is the primary language spoken in Miami, not English. Just like you can't find a good legal job in Montreal if you don't speak French.
If this truly is the case, then I feel that I've been lied to by UM Law's office of admissions.  I outright asked a law admissions officer if Spanish would be required to get a good job out of law school, and while I was informed that it would be to my benefit to have at least a moderate level of competency, I was outright told that it is absolutely not necessary to know Spanish/Portuguese and a lack of understanding of either language shouldn't be of major concern in landing a good legal job.

did they say it wouldnt be a problem in miami, or just it wouldnt be a problem?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2007, 11:48:04 PM »

Well, the definition of "good legal job" is pretty vague. When I used it, I should have said BigLaw, because that was what I was referring to, so sorry I did not make that clear. If you don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, BigLaw in Miami is difficult to get if you don't have something extraordinary to make up for it. Though it is still possible to get BigLaw in Fort Lauderdale, and certainly possible to get it in West Palm Beach, which pays identical to Miami (and has a cheaper cost of living).

I would assume any public interest law in Miami would absolutely require Spanish, Portuguese, or French Creole, because those are the native languages of the people you would mainly be working with.

I would definitely call up some firms in Miami or go to their websites to get definite answers. I personally did look at some, and everything said "Spanish or Portuguese fluency required" or "strongly preferred" (which is basically a nice way of saying "required"). Some firms even listed Hebrew, Italian, and French (all three which are pretty widely spoken in parts of Miami, especially in Miami's business circles), though in general, I didn't see one that didn't ask for a second language. 
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 09, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
hey, not to do away with these more serious subjects, but is anyone going to the pre-orientation south beach thing this saturday night? i met a very nice girl at law day and we're definitely going to meet up, and i have my best friend visiting so we're going to go. i was just wondering if anyone else would be interesting in meeting up beforehand, possibly i could host some sort of pre-gaming event at my apartment since it's right across from campus, and we could all head down to this club jazid afterwards. i have a car, albeit a very teeny sporty-ish one. maybe the metrorail (does it go to south beach?) or splitting cab fair would be more practical.

i'm a little wary of posting my cell on here, but here's my AIM sn: bittrsweet27. little easier to communicate than on here.

anyway, hope everyone is settled in and getting used to the heat! i suppose i'll be seeing all of you very soon =)
attending: most likely U Miami
in: U Miami ($$$), Cardozo ($$), U Maryland, American, UNC
out: Georgetown, NYU, Fordham
pending: GW
wait-listed: WUSTL

LSAT:164 GPA:3.65

mason338

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: August 09, 2007, 02:08:02 PM »
From what I've heard everone I have spoken to is definately going to the south beach thing. So it will be good to meet alot of other 1Ls.

OSU_Fiji

• AOL Instant Messenger - mofanny77
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »
I'll be going to the South Beach thing and the other event tonight sponsored by APALSA.  So I'm getting excited for the awkwardness of not knowing a soul when I walk in! lol

*Sonali I got your fb message today as well and think it would be awesome to get a group together before hand at your place or wherever.  I'll call you tomorrow to make sure its still on.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »
I got your message on facebook today too. sounds like a great idea except I wont be down until the next day-- I've been spending the last days of my life packing and packing and packing.
See ya'll at orientation.

BTW, anyone else doing the HOPE thing?
UMiami c/o 2010

law-school graduate

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2007, 01:26:33 AM »
Keelee,

You are misinformed.  Proficiency in Spanish--and Portuguese, to a lesser extent--is important in Miami.  But you don't need to be able to speak them to land job in a large firm.  The most important factors that large South Florida law firms take into account are top grades or a top school or both and ties to South Florida.  Many students with ties to South Florida speak Spanish.  But language proficiency is not a prerequisite to landing a job in a large firm.       

lifewasted

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
jillibean, i will be doing the HOPE activity tomorrow.

to those who went, how was the south beach night?  i was not able to make it...kind of a bummer.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 15, 2007, 11:36:47 PM »
I'm having a really tough time rooting y'all out.  I've been asking people if they used this site and they have no idea what I'm talking about.  On the plus side it makes me feel like I might know a thing or two more about what to expect in 1L, but I feel a little guily (and nerdy) that I know too much.  OMG could this be a violation of the honor code?  ;D  Come say hi to me if you spot me.

<--- White girl with big red hair.