Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28251 times)

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #310 on: June 13, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
So is anyone going to defer until 2008? I found the e-mail to be intresting especially the fact that so many people chose Miami this year.
Ah, well. More friends. More competition

I thought seriously about writing back, "Sure, I'll defer, if you give me some money!"
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 13, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
So is anyone going to defer until 2008? I found the e-mail to be intresting especially the fact that so many people chose Miami this year.

I thought seriously about writing back, "Sure, I'll defer, if you give me some money!"

I thought the same thing!!! I was like-- well, maybe if you give me enough to make it matter than we can work something out. But I am too far deep to defer now- loan, housing, etc. I guess all that stuff can be reversed but I keep telling myself I'm too far deep as to say "there's no backing out now"
UMiami c/o 2010

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:29 PM »

I thought the timing of the e-mail was also interesting.  A lot of schools have 6/15 second deposit dates, so some may have withdrawn had they waited a little longer.  That they didn't indicates the level of over-enrollment I guess - very.   

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:04 PM »
Realistically, for all we know they send this out every year as a way to get people to withdraw if they aren't attending. If it is unusual, I just hope it doesn't cause the section sizes to be much bigger-- I didn't sign up for a 100-person-section-size!

Jilli, I keep saying the same thing about not backing out. I am freaking out a bit now...I mean I've had a job since I was 15! I don't think I've ever lived on 7k a year! (7k is what is left over after tuition and assuming 12k/year for housing).  :P
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
Realistically, for all we know they send this out every year as a way to get people to withdraw if they aren't attending. If it is unusual, I just hope it doesn't cause the section sizes to be much bigger-- I didn't sign up for a 100-person-section-size!

Jilli, I keep saying the same thing about not backing out. I am freaking out a bit now...I mean I've had a job since I was 15! I don't think I've ever lived on 7k a year! (7k is what is left over after tuition and assuming 12k/year for housing).  :P

with an acceptance rate near 39%, I'm sure they do it frequently....what blows is that most can't receive scholarships because there are so many admits and people dying to get in off the waiting list....I'm also pretty sure that one wouldn't keep a scholarship if he/she deferred.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

OSU_Fiji

• AOL Instant Messenger - mofanny77
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
Has anyone already purchased their all sports pass??  Being only $52 I figured I would go ahead and purchase it but I'm not sure how I go about doing that or if it is automatically added to my tuition unless I request otherwise or what.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2007, 09:46:21 PM »
I'm deferring.  I hope I'm making the right decision, but I wish all of you good luck this fall!

why?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »
Well, to be honest I need to get my finances and life straightened out before I move down.  I was going to have my parents help me out but it would have put a huge strain on them.  Taking the time to work and make some extra cash/pay my debts seems like the right thing to do.  I really wasn't thinking about deferring until they sent the email, but after considering my options it started to make a lot of sense.  Plus, I'm only 21--I'm in no rush.

smart girl!

Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »
Well, to be honest I need to get my finances and life straightened out before I move down.  I was going to have my parents help me out but it would have put a huge strain on them.  Taking the time to work and make some extra cash/pay my debts seems like the right thing to do.  I really wasn't thinking about deferring until they sent the email, but after considering my options it started to make a lot of sense.  Plus, I'm only 21--I'm in no rush.

so your request was approved???
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2007, 05:03:25 PM »
and im withdrawing.  gotta call up admissions so i can get my partial deposit refund.

i got a last second acceptance to brooklyn.  they're giving me 15k/yr, whereas miami was giving me none.  for me to turn down a 3rd school with a hefty scholarship over miami with no money would be just stupid.  in addition, i was never blown away with the area.  i just got back from NYC and loved the city.  i do eventually plan to end up in S FL...but maybe 5-6 years from now.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.