Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28234 times)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2007, 08:43:20 AM »
I just think its funny that people think that just because of stricter building codes another Andrew sized storm won't be as bad. Sure, not as many places will collapse but it doesn't take much for the entire city to be under water.
And there are still some places that don't have power, I was reading about it yesterday.
UMiami c/o 2010

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
I just think its funny that people think that just because of stricter building codes another Andrew sized storm won't be as bad. Sure, not as many places will collapse but it doesn't take much for the entire city to be underWATER.
And there are still some places that don't have power, I was reading about it yesterday.

true dat  :(
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »
I live in Florida, and the news always says it's going to be a bad hurricane season.  My sentiment is that it's only bad if one hits you...

But seriously, hurricanes aren't anything to be too scared about.  It just causes a lot of property damage b/c of high winds and minor flooding.  But I guess I'm not an expert, I've only been in a category 3 (and 2 and 1 and 1....) before in the '05 storm season.

Plus, hurricane parties rock. 

TITCR

It's really not that big of a deal. Yeah, the power being out sucks when it's hot out but you've never HAD pizza till you've cooked a (previously)  frozen one a charcoal grill  ;D

If you are worried about the power going out, try to get a place near the hospital (forget the name of the one near UM) since they are always the first to get their power back.

The advice somebody gave about gas is good but I'd add that things like batteries tend to sell out quick too. Also, you might consider getting a good weather radio with SAME technology (allows you to program only specific counties for which you want an alert so the thing isn't going off all the time).
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »
I just think its funny that people think that just because of stricter building codes another Andrew sized storm won't be as bad. Sure, not as many places will collapse but it doesn't take much for the entire city to be under water.

Actually, thanks to the storm draining systems in the counties, it takes a lot for the city to be underwater.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »

Actually, thanks to the storm draining systems in the counties, it takes a lot for the city to be underwater.

right. But where does it drain to?
UMiami c/o 2010

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2007, 06:25:31 AM »
The middle of UM campus  :)
University of Miami Class of 2010

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:02 PM »
Aside from all the Hurricane predictions, I was scared out my ass today in class just off the thunder and lightening. The trees looked like they were going to fly in the classroom! It didn't seem to surprise anyone else, except for the only other student from Cali. My friend said not to worry about it, and that lightning is normal out here and a few people have gotten struck but it's something you'll get use to...sheeet not me! Not only that but the rain is very odd. It rains in some spots and not in others. Today we were walking and it began to rain, my friend said "stand right here"(about 2 feet to the right) "it's not raining right here" haha this is crazy. It was funny cuz the right side of my outfit was wet but the left side wasn't, how crazy it that?

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2007, 09:51:12 PM »

pretty much sums it up.  so i guess we can expect some sort of rebel bay area crew at UM that will always complain about the humidity and 90 degree summer weather.  haha.

i was actually really homesick in my first year of undergrad at michigan.  the main difference was that i knew that i would return home upon graduation.  for law school, i likely won't return home for good until maybe 5 years after graduation.  so yeah, i will probably move to coral gables early enough so that i can adjust to the humidity and homesickness.  haha.
[/quote]

Yea we already have a rebel crew, but it's more of a Cali crew. We tend to come together and stick together for some odd reason, no matter how different we are from each other. It's like we understand each other better than everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone up here is coo too, especially the one's from Florida. I'm still homesick tho :-[ but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that i'm sitting in this jail cell looking dorm in this awful weather, and I can't leave cuz I don't have a car out here. While my friends in Cali are all enjoying the Cali sun.

OSU_Fiji

• AOL Instant Messenger - mofanny77
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »
I just wanted to make sure you all knew about the discussion board on the UM site for incoming 1L's:

http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/law%5Fmiami/

and give you the link to the facebook group incase you haven't joined it yet:

http://okstate.facebook.com/p.php?i=17102137&k=4f2b37c819

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
I just wanted to make sure you all knew about the discussion board on the UM site for incoming 1L's:
http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/law%5Fmiami/

and give you the link to the facebook group incase you haven't joined it yet:

http://okstate.facebook.com/p.php?i=17102137&k=4f2b37c819

Does anybody post to it tho?
The hottest chicks go to UMiami