Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28258 times)

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2007, 07:22:01 AM »
Perhaps run around yelling that you have no clue what to do with all of the money in your wallet at 3am could be the gold standard?  Someone try that and get back to us?  ;D

On another note; I don't think that the summer movie list is going to have any bearing on our studies, but has anyone else started watching these movies?  I've watched Brazil, The Sweet Hereafter, and Double Indemnity; I have and am planning on watching The Thin Blue Line; Lastly, I've seen A Civil Action, Twelve Angry Men, and Bladerunner.  The last one is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; anyone seen this yet?

As far as the movies I'll assume most haven't seen before.  Double Indemnity was a great 40's flick (try and make a drinking game out of taking a shot everytime the main character says 'Baby'...you'll die trying...), The Sweet Hereafter was really a great movie about how if you become a lawyer everyone will hate you and your life will be in ruins (Speaking of which...isn't it great that everyone...even the law schools tell you not to go to law school...and yet you take out a billion dollars in loans and still go...I wish I could come up with a product to sell that easily...), and lastly Brazil (extremely Kafkaesque, and if you don't know what Kafkaesque is...that is why the law school has put this on the list).

Lastly, I'm headed down to Miami earlier now...start of May; I'll make sure and give everyone my impressions of the different areas around the school to look for housing.
University of Miami Class of 2010

lifewasted

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »
mason, i have been looking at 1 bedroom apartments.  i figure the first year i should have my own space and look to go the roommate route in the future.  i'm going to assess my financial situation to be sure.

i will definitely share as much info as possible. keep us posted on what you find out.  i think you should walk the streets about 1:00 am to get a real feel for the area. 

I think you may have a better chance at seeing what the place is like at 3 in the morning. 1 seems a little too early for Miami

damn....maybe i am getting old.

mason338

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
Funny you would bring up the 1 in the morning thing, I got drug down to downtown miami by these girls I knew from the area that supposedly "knew" where they were going. You don't want to be where I was at 1 in the morning, very bad. However I talked to some other people and they said around campus (grove, gables, south miami,) is fine as long as you have some common sense.
South Beach was fantastic although it would be a long drive to school that I don't plan on making my first year. I'll prob live somewhere in the grove or south miami, I looked at a few places that weren't too bad and were less than 15 minutes driving.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »
Thanks.  This seems a little counter-intuitive though.  Isn't most of the affordable housing to the north?

Most affordable housing in Miami is way north...north of downtown, in the North Miami Beach/Little Haiti area, as well as west and in Broward county. Other affordable housing is south, in the Kendall area, and the area around Coral Gables is relatively affordable.

Rush hour traffic heads towards downtown. If you are south of downtown, which is where Coral Gables is, you want to drive south in the morning/north in the afternoon to avoid traffic.

No one going the the U shoud be living anywhere north of downtown.

MiamiHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »
I think common sense means not being out by yourself at 1 a.m., anywhere in Miami.  It's a city, even if you aren't downtown.

My experience has been that students generally live in Coconut Grove, the Gables, South Miami and Kendall.  Kendall is kind of a schlep, (I wouldn't really want to live west of 117th Ave.), but now, being almost done with two years of law school in a city where I do have to do a significant commute, it really isn't that big of a deal to even have an hour commute. 

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »
This definately clears things up.

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
This Just In!!!!

Miami is Sweet!!!

Oh Yeah...TAG
University of Miami Class of 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
Hey- just wanted to tell you guys that the admitted student page has been updated with FAQ's. It has answers to questions I didn't even know I cared about like Cane Cards. Hmmm.. and also our pictures will be in a New Faces book for all the law school to see- so get excited. I'm the worst picture taker ever so that should be fun

http://www.law.miami.edu/admitted/faq.html
UMiami c/o 2010

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »
well i finally bought my ticket to visit miami.  i shall be there for part of the memorial day weekend and i have already arranged for some sort of tour of the law school.  i was also surprised that it only cost me $250 total with taxes...and this is for a cross-country flight too!

i am still on the fence about miami and it's driving me nuts.  i called up admissions today and they said that all the scholarship money was gone or something and that they were unable to match the 42k that my local school, Santa Clara, is offering me.   :-\

so yeah, i don't know what to do, but hopefully the visit will clarify things, although i suspect that i will have to cough up the deposit for santa clara, since it is due next week.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2007, 04:06:31 AM »
Hey where did you get a ticket that cheap??? I'm also going to be going out there from Cali on May 27th, but for the 5-week institute. Not that i'm paying for the ticket, but I think this important to know for future flights to Miami...wait is that one way? No that must be one way, right???