Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28103 times)

broyle99

• Diet coke and coke diet!
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »

Good Morning "Jilli" my favorite, fellow early bird!!! So, it seems like a large percentage of posters here who applied for UM housing got it. I should have applied  >:( I just thought I read that you couldn't move in until orientation so I decided not to apply. But heck, I could have just rented a hotel room for 2 weeks! Dammit I'm so stupid! Anybody need a roommate?  :P
[/quote]

Roommate?  I do!

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »
Thanks.  This seems a little counter-intuitive though.  Isn't most of the affordable housing to the north?

Most affordable housing in Miami is way north...north of downtown, in the North Miami Beach/Little Haiti area, as well as west and in Broward county. Other affordable housing is south, in the Kendall area, and the area around Coral Gables is relatively affordable.

Rush hour traffic heads towards downtown. If you are south of downtown, which is where Coral Gables is, you want to drive south in the morning/north in the afternoon to avoid traffic.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2007, 05:21:54 AM »
Anyone know how bad the metrorail is in the morning?  I'm thinking of perhaps getting a place that I can bike to the Dadeland South stop and then ride it to the university.

I'm headed down to Miami to find a place in the first couple of weeks in May, I'll give my two cents when I get back from that on what I saw as far as housing.
University of Miami Class of 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
Does anyone know a good site for learning the streets of Miami and Gables? My google searches don't end so well.My mom told me that I would need to learn the streets because there are a lot of one way streets and if you get lost there are a lot of spanish speakers- so I need to learn those streets because I don't know a lick of spanish other than "I like to clean my kitchen and walk my dog".
UMiami c/o 2010

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »
Does anyone know a good site for learning the streets of Miami and Gables? My google searches don't end so well.My mom told me that I would need to learn the streets because there are a lot of one way streets and if you get lost there are a lot of spanish speakers- so I need to learn those streets because I don't know a lick of spanish other than "I like to clean my kitchen and walk my dog".

lol! I know how to introduce 'my wife'...But I'm female and unmarried...

The hottest chicks go to UMiami

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »

two options:

1) go to google maps, keep zooming in until you get the really detailed street maps. the negatives with this is that you can only look at small areas at the time. the best way to do this would be to divide UM and the nearby area into four zoomed in quadrants, and then print out each part and paste it together...this sounds like a lot of work, but i did it before i went down and i pretty much knew exactly where we were going. soooo helpful because people aren't kind about you driving slow and there's a lot of "no left turns here" to screw you up.

2) if you're part of AAA, stop by and get a map from them, it's free. or visit a realtor and not only get info on what complexes have apartments for rent, but get a whole folder of maps and coupons. and it's all for free, you don't pay the realtor unless you book something through him/her.
attending: most likely U Miami
in: U Miami ($$$), Cardozo ($$), U Maryland, American, UNC
out: Georgetown, NYU, Fordham
pending: GW
wait-listed: WUSTL

LSAT:164 GPA:3.65

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »

If you get lost, I promise that you will have no problem finding someone to give you directions in English. Spanish might be the dominant language, but everybody speaks English.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

mason338

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2007, 08:16:14 PM »
Im in Miami for the weekend, I looked at a few houses pretty close to campus that weren't too expensive. You can talk to a car rental place or something and get a good map of miami and the area, or they also have a housing packet they give out when you visit here that has alot of good info on it. The campus was great today,

Life, what kind of housing are you looking at? Apts or houses, and with how many people, honestly, for myself moving down here I'm taking the more the merrier approach just to help out with the area and meeting people and so forth.

Im looking at some other places tomorrow as well so I'll keep you guys updated.

lifewasted

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »
mason, i have been looking at 1 bedroom apartments.  i figure the first year i should have my own space and look to go the roommate route in the future.  i'm going to assess my financial situation to be sure.

i will definitely share as much info as possible. keep us posted on what you find out.  i think you should walk the streets about 1:00 am to get a real feel for the area. 

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
mason, i have been looking at 1 bedroom apartments.  i figure the first year i should have my own space and look to go the roommate route in the future.  i'm going to assess my financial situation to be sure.

i will definitely share as much info as possible. keep us posted on what you find out.  i think you should walk the streets about 1:00 am to get a real feel for the area. 

I think you may have a better chance at seeing what the place is like at 3 in the morning. 1 seems a little too early for Miami

UMiami c/o 2010