Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 27915 times)

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
Culture tip for those who are moving to Miami for the first time: it is customary to kiss somebody of the opposite sex on the cheek hello, even if you have never met them and even in professional settings. I know a lot of people get wierded it out by this at first, but that's how it works in Miami. To some, not kissing hello is interpreted as being rude (as in "she doesn't look like she's nice", or "we wouldn't make good friends"). You'll get used to it. When I moved away from Miami when I was in high school, it was very difficult to adjust to not doing it!

then i will fight right in.  ;D

we do this all the time in brazil.

Yeah, it's not so strange to me as an Italian either. However, the women also kiss other women (but the men only kiss women). Keele, are you saying that the women don't do that?

Thanks for the cultural tip-- keep em comming!
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »
Culture tip for those who are moving to Miami for the first time: it is customary to kiss somebody of the opposite sex on the cheek hello, even if you have never met them and even in professional settings. I know a lot of people get wierded it out by this at first, but that's how it works in Miami. To some, not kissing hello is interpreted as being rude (as in "she doesn't look like she's nice", or "we wouldn't make good friends"). You'll get used to it. When I moved away from Miami when I was in high school, it was very difficult to adjust to not doing it!

then i will fight right in.  ;D

we do this all the time in brazil.

Yeah, it's not so strange to me as an Italian either. However, the women also kiss other women (but the men only kiss women). Keele, are you saying that the women don't do that?

Thanks for the cultural tip-- keep em comming!

Yes, of course, I forgot to mention it, but that is also the norm in Miami.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

What_Now?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »

That's not going to work with me. I have a "comfort zone" and I don't want people getting all up in it. I think that may be the latin influence. If they think I'm rude then I'll just let them think that. I really don't want herpes on my cheek  :P

Don't worry about it.  Not EVERYONE in Miami does this, mostly the Cubans.  In fact, if you get to campus and walk up to somebody you don't know and try to kiss them on the cheek, they'll probably do to you what you'd do to them if they tried the same.  Yes, you'll SEE a lot of people doing this, but it doesn't mean you have to.  And yeah, it's almost exclusively the middle-aged Cuban women who do it.

No worries :)

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »

That's not going to work with me. I have a "comfort zone" and I don't want people getting all up in it. I think that may be the latin influence. If they think I'm rude then I'll just let them think that. I really don't want herpes on my cheek  :P

Don't worry about it.  Not EVERYONE in Miami does this, mostly the Cubans.  In fact, if you get to campus and walk up to somebody you don't know and try to kiss them on the cheek, they'll probably do to you what you'd do to them if they tried the same.  Yes, you'll SEE a lot of people doing this, but it doesn't mean you have to.  And yeah, it's almost exclusively the middle-aged Cuban women who do it.

No worries :)

It isn't even a Cuban thing. It's a South American thing. Saying it's only the middle-aged Cuban women that do this is ridiculous. It isn't. It's common through all age groups, throughout the entire city. It is most definitley less common on say, UM's campus, where students come from all over, but kissing hello on the cheek is the traditional greeting in Miami, and people eventually adapt to it. When someone doesn't kiss hello, that's usually the first sign to a local that they aren't from here.

"Kiss Hello" article on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing

Quote from a quick blog entry:
"This being Miami, land of the kiss-hello, there was plenty of lip-smacking going on all night."
http://allpurposedark.blogspot.com/2006/04/patrick-mcmullan-kiss-kiss-party.html

And it's common enough that if you pick up a Miami travel guide, they'll often mention this practice in the "local customs" section of the guide.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2007, 03:05:59 PM »

That's what everyone says when they first move to Miami. After a year in Miami, you won't even give it a second thought. It's an essential part of being a Miamian.

It's still very weird to me, even though around some circles of friends that's how we say hi to each other.   :-\

bsl241

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »
Is anyone going to the NYC Alumni event?

tenderhooligan

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »
Hey. has anyone seen the University Village on-campus apartments? I was offered one today, and I was just wondering if they are decent places to live. Are they are furnished? How far are they from the school of law? Do they mostly consist of grad students or undergrads? I would appreciate any info you might have.

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Hey. has anyone seen the University Village on-campus apartments? I was offered one today, and I was just wondering if they are decent places to live. Are they are furnished? How far are they from the school of law? Do they mostly consist of grad students or undergrads? I would appreciate any info you might have.

don't know all the answers but they are pretty close and mostly consist of UG's...I think they said they reserve 40 spaces for Law Students.  Congrats!  What are they running like, $1300/room?
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

tenderhooligan

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »
I think they said they reserve 40 spaces for Law Students

wow. i feel feel special (seriously). The 1Bed/1Bath runs 1350 a month with parking, and wireless included. I just really really want to know if the things have furniture or not.

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2007, 10:06:51 PM »
Anyone know how far of a walk it is from the metrorail stop to the section of the campus that houses the law school.  From what I see, it looks like the metrorail stop is on the Southeast side, and the law school is on the northwest side.

Anyone have any thoughts on the metrorail there?  From what I have seen, if I live near the dadeland south station, it is only like a six minute ride to the campus; to make the deal even sweeter, you can take your normal bike on the metrorail.  I worked in D.C. for a time and the only bikes you can bring on the Virginia Railway Express are foldable bikes, huge plus Miami doesn't require that...although they do require some sort of bike permit which I am going to mail out for soon.  The way I figure it, the metrorail seems to be a viable option to expand the area that I can be with minimal effort to get to campus.

Also, from a cost perspective; $400 for a year long parking pass and having to fight for a space; or $56 a month for unlimited rides on the metrorail, and then free rides on any buses from there.  I frankly could buy a car, but would rather go this route since my girlfriend is bringing her car and I don't see needing a car very often.  Also it seems that without a car, the ride from Dadeland South to Miami Beach, with only one transfer from metrorail to bus, is roughly 40 minutes.  That might seem long, but last time I was in Miami Beach, it was impossible to find a parking space, so 40 minutes without any cares doesn't seem bad.

Anyone from the area, or that has visited, have anything to say about commuting with the metrorail to campus?
University of Miami Class of 2010