Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Miami anyone?  (Read 28032 times)

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Univ. of Miami anyone?
« on: March 03, 2007, 11:22:40 PM »
i'm still waiting on a few schools, but i'm leaning towards miami. just wanted to know if anyone else is making the same decision, and if it's worth visiting on March 30th. i honestly don't know much about the city itself or the law school, so any key info would be very helpful...i made enough mistakes with undergrad, don't want to repeat <sigh>.

also, any housing advice? i might need to think about a roommate too. so much to think about! exciting though.  :)
attending: most likely U Miami
in: U Miami ($$$), Cardozo ($$), U Maryland, American, UNC
out: Georgetown, NYU, Fordham
pending: GW
wait-listed: WUSTL

LSAT:164 GPA:3.65

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:42:26 PM »
I'm an undergrad at Miami. I think you should definetly visit here if yu are thinking about coming. It really is different that any other city in the country. Have you already gotten into the law school? If you don't get a scholarship its pretty expensive. The housing will cost about 700-800 a month with a roomate. The houses aren't that great, but you can find some pretty nice aparments and condos here. Message me for anymore questions.

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:39 AM »
I just graduated from there and am headed to Emory for law.  I have a ton of law school friends and can answer any questions you have about the city.  I love Miami and it will absolutely kill me to leave here.  I have a small apartment 2 miles from campus and I pay 980/month but it was built in 2000 and is gated so I probably pay more for that.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I know a few students who will be attending in the fall also.  Good luck on your decision and I would visit if you can.  Many people say that Miami is full of crime but Coral Gables is one of the nicest places you live.  Every city has its ghettos but south Miami is amazing and you will love it.  GO CANES!!
Emory '10

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:01 AM »
I'm not, but I know somebody who might be. Not sure why I bothered post this...well, I found it interesting anyways.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:31:41 AM »
i'm still waiting on a few schools, but i'm leaning towards miami. just wanted to know if anyone else is making the same decision, and if it's worth visiting on March 30th. i honestly don't know much about the city itself or the law school, so any key info would be very helpful...i made enough mistakes with undergrad, don't want to repeat <sigh>.

also, any housing advice? i might need to think about a roommate too. so much to think about! exciting though.  :)

I'm leaning towards UM also and don't think you'd make a "mistake" by deciding to attend.  Just about everyone loves the weather, beautiful people, diversity, and the fact that Miami is sort of the gateway to Latin America.  I heard somewhere that Miami is, after NYC and Charlotte, one of the better cities on the East Coast for International Banking and Finance, and has many opportunities for those wanting to work in the Sports and/or Entertainment industries.  Also, I'm assuming that a large part of the economy revolves around the Restaurant, Tourism, and Hospitality industries.  If you're from NYC, LA, Chicago, or Houston, I don't know if this will impress you a whole lot b/c those cities are "arguably" better in all areas I mentioned above.

In terms of what people don't like, high cost-of-living, drugs, crime, and the club culture definitely top the list.  I'm told from current and former residents that you really have to be involved with the wrong crowd to really get caught up in all of this.  That being said, as law students, I don't think we'd have to worry about this much.  I'd say that the city lacks a good public transportation system so you'd definitely need a car.  I'm not sure where most of the firms reside, but if they're located in the financial district, which is pretty much downtown Miami, I'd peel out of the parking lot as soon as I punch the clock.  In my experience that area of the city pretty much empties at five and becomes a scary ghost town, similar to a Hartford, St. Louis, or Ft. Worth.
***I apologize to anyone living in those cities that may have been offended!

I actually don't know a whole lot about the Law School itself, so am hoping to gain more insight if/when I go for ASD this month.   From what I hear, housing in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables is on the high side, but affordable places are available if you look hard enough. Friends tell me that guest houses around the law school are frequently advertised at "affordable" prices (btw $700-$1000) dollars/month. The higher side of that range is more than I want to pay, but for me, proximity to campus is key- especially as a 1L.  I emailed Emily Burr requesting housing information and she responded with about 8 or 9 helpful links.

For what its worth, I went to FSU for UG and wouldn't mind settling in the state.  In my opinion, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and to a lesser extent, the nicer side of Orlando are all decent cities.  I've lived up and down the east coast and would put Florida up against any other state on that side of the country (NC, and DC- although not a state, might have it beat though).

So much for being concise, but I hope this helps you out a bit.  I guess I wrote so much in an effort to have others reading this speak to what they know and/or correct any wrong assumptions I've made.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

mason338

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
bittersweet I'm really leaning towards Miami unless I get into UF , but I won't be going to the openhouse because plane tickets are way too much during that time. My friend is going to a wedding at the end of april in Miami and flights are going to be cheaper so I plan on going down and taking a look at the school and hopefully finding some housing down there, I know if your looking for a roommate they have that roommate referral service but I don't know how helpful it's going to be, but I'll put my name in there to see what they find.

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »

I'm leaning towards UM also and don't think you'd make a "mistake" by deciding to attend.  Just about everyone loves the weather, beautiful people, diversity, and the fact that Miami is sort of the gateway to Latin America.  I heard somewhere that Miami is, after NYC and Charlotte, one of the better cities on the East Coast for International Banking and Finance, and has many opportunities for those wanting to work in the Sports and/or Entertainment industries.  Also, I'm assuming that a large part of the economy revolves around the Restaurant, Tourism, and Hospitality industries.  If you're from NYC, LA, Chicago, or Houston, I don't know if this will impress you a whole lot b/c those cities are "arguably" better in all areas I mentioned above.

In terms of what people don't like, high cost-of-living, drugs, crime, and the club culture definitely top the list.  I'm told from current and former residents that you really have to be involved with the wrong crowd to really get caught up in all of this.  That being said, as law students, I don't think we'd have to worry about this much.  I'd say that the city lacks a good public transportation system so you'd definitely need a car.  I'm not sure where most of the firms reside, but if they're located in the financial district, which is pretty much downtown Miami, I'd peel out of the parking lot as soon as I punch the clock.  In my experience that area of the city pretty much empties at five and becomes a scary ghost town, similar to a Hartford, St. Louis, or Ft. Worth.
***I apologize to anyone living in those cities that may have been offended!

I actually don't know a whole lot about the Law School itself, so am hoping to gain more insight if/when I go for ASD this month.   From what I hear, housing in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables is on the high side, but affordable places are available if you look hard enough. Friends tell me that guest houses around the law school are frequently advertised at "affordable" prices (btw $700-$1000) dollars/month. The higher side of that range is more than I want to pay, but for me, proximity to campus is key- especially as a 1L.  I emailed Emily Burr requesting housing information and she responded with about 8 or 9 helpful links.

For what its worth, I went to FSU for UG and wouldn't mind settling in the state.  In my opinion, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and to a lesser extent, the nicer side of Orlando are all decent cities.  I've lived up and down the east coast and would put Florida up against any other state on that side of the country (NC, and DC- although not a state, might have it beat though).

So much for being concise, but I hope this helps you out a bit.  I guess I wrote so much in an effort to have others reading this speak to what they know and/or correct any wrong assumptions I've made.

thanks for the info  :)

i've actually started looking for housing already, contacted a realtor. already have a few properties i'm going to check out when i'm down there next week. i'm thinking maybe going for a condo instead of just an apartment.

and i've definitely heard good things about the law school so all in all, i'm pretty steady on my decision. wasn't a few weeks ago, but lots of helpful people have told me what i needed to know.

bsl241

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:47:43 PM »
bittrsweet...

I'm going to the ASW next weekend also and I was wondering if you were paired up with someone from Miami or if you are getting a place by yourself or whatever your situation is because I wanted to look for places while I was there also but I don't know any people there yet...thanks

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »
bittrsweet...

I'm going to the ASW next weekend also and I was wondering if you were paired up with someone from Miami or if you are getting a place by yourself or whatever your situation is because I wanted to look for places while I was there also but I don't know any people there yet...thanks

well i'm going to ASW with my mommy. lol. so we're obviously staying together. i know another person attending the event contacted me and said we should get a few other people together and meet beforehand. i thought that was a cool idea, if you're interested i can put you in contact with her and we can all hang out. my plan is to look for condos with the realtor we contacted on thursday, then friday is taken up with tours. there's a housing tour and talk on saturday (don't know if you guys knew about that) which i'm also going to attend. they also have a realtor come and talk to you then. and then i guess i'll look at more housing all that day too. sunday i head out. we're doing the early housing tour on saturday if you're interested.

bsl241

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Oh I see yeah my parents are coming as well, but when I referred to you living alone I meant during the school year in like a 1 bedroom apartment.  Um yeah I would def be interested in meeting up with some people because I will only be there with my parents and little sister and would like to meet some of my future classmates possibly.  Thanks for the info...