Law School Discussion

Univ. of Miami anyone?

Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 06:45:50 AM »
jump did you look at housing at asw or are you going to go look another time?
I didn't go and am planning on a serious housing hunt around the end of april, I've gotten mixed responses on how helpful they were at asw

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »
Do you recall the square footage of the condos that are within walking distance?  Or at least can we ask the size of yours? 

i can't remember exactly but i'll be heading home this weekend and i'll find the info on the apartment and let you guys know.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »
For those that are attending, when are you planning on actually moving to miami, Im thinking early July so I can get a feel for the town before I start school and have no time

I live about 3 hrs from Miami so I plan on looking now- until July. I work for my parents and wont be able to make the move until the end of July or August- but as long as I have a place to stay I don't care.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 05:21:53 PM »
I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Orlando is like 2 hours away from Miami- they are lucky- a different highway

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm still undecided, but Miami looks great.  One thing though - it seems like everyone has to commute in order to get to campus.  I know there are a few condos for a small ransom to rent which are close by, but is the only economical option to live a drive away?  Or am I just totally off?

In UG I could get to class every day by walking as opposed to driving on campus (then again, i went UG in a very rural area) - and isn't the parking on campus a bit rough too?  If i'm wrong I'd love to know so.  I guess i just have this ideal in my head that after class on the random Friday or whatever i can get a beer with my classmates, shoot the sh*t, and not have to worry about commuting home after a long week of working in the library.  Thanks for your thoughts.

On a side note, all you guys seem really cool on this site - it'd be fun to be classmates.  Thanks,

-J

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
I'm from Seattle, that's why my head is in the clouds.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »
Look on craigslist for rooms and shares under housing. they have a ton a places for rent and new every day, thats where i found my place to live for next year.

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 06:51:25 PM »
I'm from Seattle, that's why my head is in the clouds.

I'm actually in Seattle this week...its my first time and its pretty awesome....Miami will definitely be alot different from what you're used to.

In terms of your question about getting beer with your classmates....The students I spoke to party pretty hard and I know a few kids from UG that went to grad school and UM and said the Law Students definitely party....The night of ASW was there Barrister's Ball (law prom) and I ran into a few people in formal attire at some of the bars in the grove.  It seemed like everyone knew how to relax and have a good time....

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 11:01:55 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm still undecided, but Miami looks great.  One thing though - it seems like everyone has to commute in order to get to campus.  I know there are a few condos for a small ransom to rent which are close by, but is the only economical option to live a drive away?  Or am I just totally off?

In UG I could get to class every day by walking as opposed to driving on campus (then again, i went UG in a very rural area) - and isn't the parking on campus a bit rough too?  If i'm wrong I'd love to know so.  I guess i just have this ideal in my head that after class on the random Friday or whatever i can get a beer with my classmates, shoot the sh*t, and not have to worry about commuting home after a long week of working in the library.  Thanks for your thoughts.

On a side note, all you guys seem really cool on this site - it'd be fun to be classmates.  Thanks,

-J

nono, there are places within walking distance for 650-1000 a month. they aren't in complexes though. they're cottages, or little houses, etc. also, if you get a roommate, even in the expensive complexes, it'll be about 850 a month. you just have to be willing to compromise. i don't want a roommate i don't know, so that's where the issue comes in. i think if you have the time to look, if you live nearby, then you're in a position to find inexpensive nearby housing. i live in ohio, i'm still in school, i won't be in the country for most of the summer; hence, i had to scramble and take whatever i found in three days.

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 11:05:12 PM »
Hey thanks guys,

I will miss Seattle - except for the constant rain, clouds, etc.  I hope Miami has a cool music scene.  Like the typical Seattle guy I'm not a fan of the "club" thing.  Nothing against em, just not my flavor.  But I'll take the sun and a beach any day.  Guess it doesn't matter too much though, seeming as how we'll be staring into a book most of the time.