Law School Discussion

Univ. of Miami anyone?

Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up at Miami at this point.  You're probably attending law day as I post this, but please let us know if they share any important info.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
How was ASW?

broyle99

• Diet coke and coke diet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
my opinion on UM's ASW:

the campus looks like some sort of resort. it's huge and absolutely gorgeous. i felt like i was in the bahamas. their transportation system around campus looks great too for those who are groaning at the idea of trekking across campus. the buses come every 3 minutes and seem like they can get you anywhere. they're also have a/c and even a tv inside. muuuuuch more than i'm used to at case western. i've seen other campuses such as american, george washington, georgetown, nyu, columbia, princeton, and case western (my undergrad), and UM far surpassed all of them.

the wellness center (rec center) is fabulous. i can't imagine having to ever wait for a  machine because there are SO MANY. it's ridiculous. the place was just absolutely huge and state-of-the-art. it's about a 10-15 minute walk at a moderate pace from the law school.

i guess maybe the law school building/library isn't amazingly impressive, but it's very open which goes with the weather there. definitely not bad, just maybe not the best thing you've ever seen. it is equipped with wireless and plugs for everyone. i thought it was fine. library too. the law buildings are four sides of the law quadrangle which is a nice place to sit outside and study/hang out. there's also a subway right there so you don't have to walk all the way to the food court (sounded like it was a ways away).

we heard five professors speak. i was very impressed with professor vasquez and the tax law prof, and another woman who had to do with the litigation skills class (she was the last to speak if anyone remembers a name). prof vasquez is the criminal procedure prof so i'm very excited about having him 2nd semester. definitely intelligent and funny; you want to listen to this man talk. the tax law prof was also very entertaining, too bad i'm not interested in that type of law. the last lady struck me as very intelligent and logical as well. the other two professors, one of which was the dean, seemed fine, but they were overshadowed by these three. if this is a good representation of UM's faculty, i'm happy =)

we also were able to question a panel of current students. they were very happy about UM (obviously, or they wouldn't be on the panel). all of them mentioned that UM has a very close-knit community. no cutthroatedness here. also, they all seemed to think that as long as you were proactive, UM had the resources to get you a good job out of florida if you so desired. honestly, i can't remember much else of what they said because it was all stuff i already knew. i can only tell you that they all seemed like cool people i'd want to be around. very normal, very smart, very down-to-earth.

i don't remember much about the career center panel. i just ate a wonderful lunch and they weren't the most interesting folks. nice people, i'm sure, but i can't remember a thing. sorry.

other random things i can think of right now: the metrorail station is right on campus and looks great. parking is an absolute nightmare and expensive (don't know how much though, should have asked). of the admitted students who actually came to ASW, i was relieved to see they weren't the perfect barbie doll people i expected in miami. this is most likely because some 60% of students who come to UM law are out-of-staters. everyone seemed pretty normal-looking and acting, yay.

so, to sum up, THUMBS WAY UP for UM law. in fact, i turned in my acceptance letter and deposit at the end of the day.

BUT....housing is a different story. "affordable" is the key word. for a very standard, small 1 bedroom condo across from the school, the owner is asking 1500 a month (only sewer, water, and basic cable included). basically, after talking to a realtor, if you want to live in a secure complex within walking distance of UM, there are only three complexes. i would contact a realtor and go through them because it's easier for them to set up with the owners of these condos than you on your own. sure, you can find 700-1000 a month places within walking distance, but those are little cottages or house-like places. as a girl i'm not sure i would feel safe walking to or living in such isolated quarters. maybe it's fine, someone else who knows the area i'm talking about can elaborate (streets off SW 57th along the UM campus near the law school quadrangle). also, the isolation bothers me because i want to be around other UM law students since it would be nice to make friends and know a few people. i'm definitely going to decide on a complex rather than one of those, even if they are cheap in comparison. plus, complexes have pools/spas and sometimes exercise facilities.

another option, if you're looking to walk to class, is the university village. i didn't see the inside, but they're brand new and they look really nice on the outside. best yet, they're very close to the law school and have their own parking garage. a 1 bedroom is 1325 a month. there are three other types of apartments, but they require roommates. one type is a separate room and private bath even though two people are sharing the apartment. i don't remember the exact prices but they were somewhere from 700-900. however, from what i can make out, there are very few available for law students. someone threw out the number 37 spaces, but i don't know how reliable that info is. i also can't say how noisy, etc. these apartments are. that's why i'm still on the fence about doing dorm-living again in my first year of law school.

now, if you want a short drive, you have many more nice options. it sounds like for the first year, STAY CLOSE. short drive is fine, but not more than 5-10 minutes because you're going to be on campus much more than 2L's or 3L's. in south miami, check out places near Sunset Place, which is a cute shopping area a little further down US1 than UM. don't go too far south though because otherwise traffic is going to be a HUGE problem. i got more of a taste than i wanted of miami traffic. if possible, live to the north of UM and DRIVE SOUTH (away from downtown miami). that way traffic in the morning is going the opposite direction of you, while when you're driving home in the evening (if you're not in the library studying...) you're driving north while everyone else working in miami is trying to come south AWAY from downtown. the previous area i mentioned is south of UM, but so close that traffic won't matter very much. north-ish of UM is coconut grove (stay away from certain areas like grand ave) and more downtown coral gables. we drove around and saw a lot of signs with for rent signs, but i'm really set on staying close enough to walk so i didn't check out many places. if anyone went on the housing tour on saturday, maybe they could fill in some of these blanks.

basically, everything is extremely over-priced. i'm glad i have a big scholarship because a lot of it's going to go to living.

hope this is helpful, and others who went please add your input. i definitely want to know what other people's experiences were like.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:50 PM »
I'm turning down Miami to stay in Milwaukee and go to Marquette.  I'm worried that I'll regret this decision, but the difference in debt is HUUUUUUUGE.  $150k vs. potentially nothing.

broyle99

• Diet coke and coke diet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 05:00:07 PM »
I'm turning down Miami to stay in Milwaukee and go to Marquette.  I'm worried that I'll regret this decision, but the difference in debt is HUUUUUUUGE.  $150k vs. potentially nothing.

That's fair.. good enough reason.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »
to further the housing search:

i've turned in a deposit for a condo. i'll be living at university inn condos which is directly across US1 from the garage on ponce de leon where we all parked for ASW. i'm paying 1475 a month for a 1 bedroom and the lease starts on July 1st. yeah, this seems like a rip-off. on the other hand, it's a 24 hour secure building, right across UM so you don't have to pay for parking or worry about traffic, just have to walk. as i'm out of state and don't have a heck of a lot of time to fly to miami and wander around trying to find a safe, cheap place to live within walking distance, we took it. next year i'll try for cheap. this year, convenient.

but i've been researching the area even more and there are ONLY THREE condo building within walking distance: university inn condos (mine), royal caribbean, and villa capri. the last two are older buildings and unless the particular condo you rent has been updated, it ain't going to be so hot. university inn was built in 1990, it looks really nice on the outside, and it's not bad on the inside. really like the pool area, and the apartments are fine, if not brilliant. all three of these are very close to each other across US 1 from UM.

there's a realtor right in the middle of all three of these buildings called EWM. we worked with a woman named SUSAN FIX and she was very nice and very honest about real estate and condo rents, etc. she was even willing to send us to another realtor she knew if it helped us find the right apartment.

fix.s@ewm.com
305-667-8871 ext. 373 (office)
305-333-3823 (cell)

i happen to know she has two listings right now in villa capri and university condo. i looked at an updated 1 bedroom in villa capri. it was, i thought, very nice. my mom didn't like the older building though, but otherwise the condo is much bigger than the one i actually ended up with at university inn and has built in shelving and 1.5 baths. it's going for 1500 as well, but at least space-wise, is more worth it. as far as i now, it's still on the market.

ms. fix also had us look at a university condo on the 2nd floor, although we ended up settling on one two floors up. this one is on the second floor, it's a 1 bedroom, we did a walk-through and it looked like it was in good shape. tile floor. bathtub not just shower. clean. it's going for 1500 starting june 1st. i would try negotiating the lease date if you're like me and not moving in til late july/early august. and see if you can get the price down. apparently these apartments go very quickly, although that may be a gimmick to get people to sign an agreement quickly. ms. fix seemed to think that more condos would open up, it's just not guaranteed so she didn't want to leave us in a bind if nothing became free.

hope that helps. and if anyone actually does take the university condo apartment, i'll be the apartment exactly two floors above you...come knock on my door! lol.

Re: Miami Admitted Students Weekend
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
to further the housing search:

i've turned in a deposit for a condo. i'll be living at university inn condos which is directly across US1 from the garage on ponce de leon where we all parked for ASW. i'm paying 1475 a month for a 1 bedroom and the lease starts on July 1st. yeah, this seems like a rip-off. on the other hand, it's a 24 hour secure building, right across UM so you don't have to pay for parking or worry about traffic, just have to walk. as i'm out of state and don't have a heck of a lot of time to fly to miami and wander around trying to find a safe, cheap place to live within walking distance, we took it. next year i'll try for cheap. this year, convenient.

but i've been researching the area even more and there are ONLY THREE condo building within walking distance: university inn condos (mine), royal caribbean, and villa capri. the last two are older buildings and unless the particular condo you rent has been updated, it ain't going to be so hot. university inn was built in 1990, it looks really nice on the outside, and it's not bad on the inside. really like the pool area, and the apartments are fine, if not brilliant. all three of these are very close to each other across US 1 from UM.

there's a realtor right in the middle of all three of these buildings called EWM. we worked with a woman named SUSAN FIX and she was very nice and very honest about real estate and condo rents, etc. she was even willing to send us to another realtor she knew if it helped us find the right apartment.

fix.s@ewm.com
305-667-8871 ext. 373 (office)
305-333-3823 (cell)

i happen to know she has two listings right now in villa capri and university condo. i looked at an updated 1 bedroom in villa capri. it was, i thought, very nice. my mom didn't like the older building though, but otherwise the condo is much bigger than the one i actually ended up with at university inn and has built in shelving and 1.5 baths. it's going for 1500 as well, but at least space-wise, is more worth it. as far as i now, it's still on the market.

ms. fix also had us look at a university condo on the 2nd floor, although we ended up settling on one two floors up. this one is on the second floor, it's a 1 bedroom, we did a walk-through and it looked like it was in good shape. tile floor. bathtub not just shower. clean. it's going for 1500 starting june 1st. i would try negotiating the lease date if you're like me and not moving in til late july/early august. and see if you can get the price down. apparently these apartments go very quickly, although that may be a gimmick to get people to sign an agreement quickly. ms. fix seemed to think that more condos would open up, it's just not guaranteed so she didn't want to leave us in a bind if nothing became free.

hope that helps. and if anyone actually does take the university condo apartment, i'll be the apartment exactly two floors above you...come knock on my door! lol.

i posted this elsewhere...

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »
Do you recall the square footage of the condos that are within walking distance?  Or at least can we ask the size of yours? 

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »
For those that are attending, when are you planning on actually moving to miami, Im thinking early July so I can get a feel for the town before I start school and have no time