Law School Discussion

Univ. of Miami anyone?

Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
i didn't actually ride the metrorail, but i did see the university stop. it's in a very public, safe-seeming place. it is on the other side of campus from the law school, but it's not a very long walk from the metro stop to where the campus buses stop at the ponce de leon garage. there may even be a closer bus stop.

the campus buses run every three minutes and take you to a stop right outside the law school so if you wanted to forgo the walk, you could definitely make it there fast.

hope that helps.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
Trains in Miami are very reliable. There are three - Metrorail (the eleveated train/subway), Metromover (the monorail - it's free), and TriRail (commuter train, runs all the way to Palm Beach).

Busses however, are not. And sadly, the trains only cover limited ground. The nice thing, though, is that a huge amount of bus service in the city is 24-hours.

« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »
Trains in Miami are very reliable. There are three - Metrorail (the eleveated train/subway), Metromover (the monorail - it's free), and TriRail (commuter train, runs all the way to Palm Beach).

Busses however, are not. And sadly, the trains only cover limited ground. The nice thing, though, is that a huge amount of bus service in the city is 24-hours.

i'm not sure if you're harking back to my comment on buses, but to clarify, the buses i was talking about were the university of miami shuttles. if you weren't, ignore this  :P

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:08 PM »
Hey. has anyone seen the University Village on-campus apartments? I was offered one today, and I was just wondering if they are decent places to live. Are they are furnished? How far are they from the school of law? Do they mostly consist of grad students or undergrads? I would appreciate any info you might have.

I was also offered an apartment at the University Village.  They do come fully furnished, even with a washer and dryer.  Here is the link to the Village website:

http://universityvillageatum.com/templates/template_university_miami/default2.asp?w=universityvillage-miami&c=jpi.onesite.realpage.com&e=1049405&s=1093427&t=template_university_miami

It is 10 minutes from the Law School and there is a Canes speedy bus or something that runs all the time, taking students to the campus.  There is also free parking and the only undergrads that have the possibility to live there are jrs and srs but from what they told me, mostly law students and grad students live there and maybe only a few ug.  I hope that better answers some of you questions

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2007, 11:59:25 PM »
I suppose I am going to do this soon, but has anyone talked to the University yet about health insurance?  I know my undergrad offered some at a decent...but not incredible rate.

Also, has anyone talked, or know if students get a discounted monthly rate on the metrorail unlimited ride price?  I know that it is $56 a month for other, which is pretty affordable, but hey...every little bit helps.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:02 AM »
I suppose I am going to do this soon, but has anyone talked to the University yet about health insurance?  I know my undergrad offered some at a decent...but not incredible rate.

Also, has anyone talked, or know if students get a discounted monthly rate on the metrorail unlimited ride price?  I know that it is $56 a month for other, which is pretty affordable, but hey...every little bit helps.

$56.25 is the student rate. It is $75 otherwise.

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2007, 12:48:13 AM »
Nevermind about the health insurance, I was doing some digging on the email and MyUM system and found the informations.  Looks like it's just built into the tuition from the get go...Here is a link if anyone else is interested.

http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2553-1;31032-2,00.html

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2007, 05:41:37 AM »
About student housing- I am a little confused. Do we just fax in the sheet or do we also send in the $450 for app. and security deposits.
The application said they all need to be in at the time of the application but the e-mail I got said that they application needs to be by Monday and at a later date everything else would be due.
Hmmm... I guess I should just call.

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2007, 05:44:47 AM »
About student housing- I am a little confused. Do we just fax in the sheet or do we also send in the $450 for app. and security deposits.
The application said they all need to be in at the time of the application but the e-mail I got said that they application needs to be by Monday and at a later date everything else would be due.

Are you talking about University housing or just housing in general? Either way I don't know the answer to your question.  :D

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:36 AM »

Are you talking about University housing or just housing in general? Either way I don't know the answer to your question.  :D

I was talking about University Housing.
Thats okay, at least your thought about it