Law School Discussion

Univ. of Miami anyone?

Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2007, 11:19:11 AM »
orientation starts the 15th actually, so you'll have two more days, yay.

i'm heading down the 4th of august, but i'll also be down in june sometime to furnish the apartment. by then i hope i know my way around.  :)

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »
thanks for the info guys.

i am also a NE ohio native - worst place ever.  when you are there  it really does have the feeling that you are in a dying area. people wear the gloom on their faces.

I have moved around a lot. i am moving for good when i start law school. when I decided on law school, my goals were NYC or somewhere warm. i lived in ny/nj before and loved it. despite the cold, you can't beat ny energy.

what about miami - is it a growing city? i am not trading rust belt blight for southeastern blight am I?

from xoxo

Date: March 29th, 2007 10:27 AM
Author: PoopMcGee
Subject: Miamuh

hey peeps

im a 1L at miami (miamuh, as some of the old school coral gables residents call it here). couple things:

1. there is a terrible course here called 'elements' that you have to take. we lifted it (along with a bunch of faculty from u-chicago when soia mentschikoff (one of the drafters of the UCC) came down here in the early 70s). this course sucks.

2. the grade curve is C+. Ostensibly, this is a function of our dogshit rank, basically to make our top people look better.

3. people who think you cant get a job outside of miami/SE from here are total idiots whose entire knowledge of law school is based on distillations on these dumb message boards. i, for one, will be in boston this summer with the Atty Gen's Office and have friends that will be in NY, DC, Chi, SF, and LA this summer. as the song goes 'dont believe the hype.'

4. if you like being outdoors, running, biking, surfing, sailing rather than turning into a pasty white overweight BigLaw android in NYC who thinks that this is some kind of 'accomplishment,' go to Miami. Be a lawyer.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2007, 05:06:12 PM »
I got an e-mail today acknowledging my seat deposit.

broyle99

• Diet coke and coke diet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
btw yanks, you decided btwn san diego and miami yet?

I have not made a definite decision, but right now I'm actually leaning heavily towards San Diego.  It has nothing to do with the schools, I think they're both awesome.  I just see San Diego (the city) being a better fit for me and my personality as compared to Miami.

That said, there's still a chance I'll go to Miami, albeit a very small one.  I might make another trip down to visit Miami and the school once more before I make a final decision... we'll see.  I did send in my deposit in the meantime.

One other thing yanks, did you figure out what to do with the lady friend?

donvito

• Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »

did you send it via fedex or priority mail?  i sent mine out last saturday so i think it shouldve arrived by now.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2007, 06:22:30 AM »

did you send it via fedex or priority mail?  i sent mine out last saturday so i think it shouldve arrived by now.

I just sent it certified through the post office- it went to their post office box not their actual physical address.

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
Just so everyone knows, this is the updated Calendar for UM Law School next year.  The link above is from last year.

http://www.law.miami.edu/calendar/academic/2007-2008/index.html

I sent my seat deposit on Tuesday and I called Friday and they had received it, and I just sent it regular United States Postal Service ground. 

If you haven't already joined and you have facebook, join the Miami Law Class of 2010 group:

http://okstate.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2254474629

I already posted this on there as well, but I was curious if the Recreation Center has only one basketball court (as it appears in the pictures) or if there is more than one??  We have about 12 courts here at OSU!!

donvito

• Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
Just so everyone knows, this is the updated Calendar for UM Law School next year.  The link above is from last year.

I sent my seat deposit on Tuesday and I called Friday and they had received it, and I just sent it regular United States Postal Service ground. 

If you haven't already joined and you have facebook, join the Miami Law Class of 2010 group:

I already posted this on there as well, but I was curious if the Recreation Center has only one basketball court (as it appears in the pictures) or if there is more than one??  We have about 12 courts here at OSU!!

where did you find the phone number?  on the admissions site?  i'll probably call on monday.

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »
btw yanks, you decided btwn san diego and miami yet?

I have not made a definite decision, but right now I'm actually leaning heavily towards San Diego.  It has nothing to do with the schools, I think they're both awesome.  I just see San Diego (the city) being a better fit for me and my personality as compared to Miami.

That said, there's still a chance I'll go to Miami, albeit a very small one.  I might make another trip down to visit Miami and the school once more before I make a final decision... we'll see.  I did send in my deposit in the meantime.

One other thing yanks, did you figure out what to do with the lady friend?

I wish.  Quite a dilemma right now...  :-\

I got an email acknowledging they received my seat deposit too.

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

No, there's probably four or so courts.  It's been three years since I was at school there, but you go into the recreation center, go upstairs, and I'm pretty sure there's at least four full courts, with a raised track around the courts.  They've got a great facility, too--sometimes Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas (Dolphins) would come work out.