Law School Discussion

Univ. of Miami anyone?

Re: Univ. of Miami anyone?
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »
this is a good group.

someone sell me on miami. :)

why miami over rutgers?

and don't just say sun.

sh*t, by the looks of things on this thread, i'll be the oldest guy in the class.

All right, I did my Masters degree at Miami.  Not going to law school there, but only because I live in Cleveland now (boo!), and it would be nothing short of moronic for me to move back to Miamiland.  Anyway, UM is a great school, and the law school is perhaps the most respected school in southern Florida.  (And don't female dog about lack of competition--there are plenty of UF law grads trying to work in Miami).  While I wasn't involved in the law school during my graduate work, I did meet a lot of law students on campus.  The law students are fiercely competitive, but they're also quite friendly.  The faculty at UM is highly regarded in the area, and all of the students I knew had excellent internships lined up for their first summers.

And yeah, the weather kicks the ever-loving sh!t out of Rutgers.

BTW--anyone looking for a great place to live...check out Nob Hill apartments on N. Kendall Dr.  I lived there for two years, and the rent was under $800/month for a NICE 1-bedroom, with incredible amenities.  There's a palm tree-lined driveway, tennis courts, pool, hot tub, etc.  Great location, too--one block from Publix, tons of restaurants, hotels, etc...I miss that apartment SO MUCH!

Also, if anyone has any questions about UM in general, or Nob Hill Apartments in particular, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!!

donvito

• Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
btw yanks, you decided btwn san diego and miami yet?

I have not made a definite decision, but right now I'm actually leaning heavily towards San Diego.  It has nothing to do with the schools, I think they're both awesome.  I just see San Diego (the city) being a better fit for me and my personality as compared to Miami.

That said, there's still a chance I'll go to Miami, albeit a very small one.  I might make another trip down to visit Miami and the school once more before I make a final decision... we'll see.  I did send in my deposit in the meantime.

i have to send my San Diego deposit by the 18th, but i don't think i will.  i really don't have the means of getting down there to check out the campus in time.  in addition, i feel more comfortable just going to miami blindly over san diego.  i just think the miami area, for me, has more potential than southern california. but i am pretty bummed that i wont be able to visit USD.

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
this is a good group.

someone sell me on miami. :)

why miami over rutgers?

and don't just say sun.

sh*t, by the looks of things on this thread, i'll be the oldest guy in the class.

All right, I did my Masters degree at Miami.  Not going to law school there, but only because I live in Cleveland now (boo!), and it would be nothing short of moronic for me to move back to Miamiland.  Anyway, UM is a great school, and the law school is perhaps the most respected school in southern Florida.  (And don't female dog about lack of competition--there are plenty of UF law grads trying to work in Miami).  While I wasn't involved in the law school during my graduate work, I did meet a lot of law students on campus.  The law students are fiercely competitive, but they're also quite friendly.  The faculty at UM is highly regarded in the area, and all of the students I knew had excellent internships lined up for their first summers.

And yeah, the weather kicks the ever-loving sh!t out of Rutgers.

BTW--anyone looking for a great place to live...check out Nob Hill apartments on N. Kendall Dr.  I lived there for two years, and the rent was under $800/month for a NICE 1-bedroom, with incredible amenities.  There's a palm tree-lined driveway, tennis courts, pool, hot tub, etc.  Great location, too--one block from Publix, tons of restaurants, hotels, etc...I miss that apartment SO MUCH!

Also, if anyone has any questions about UM in general, or Nob Hill Apartments in particular, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!!

wow i'm doing the opposite of you. i go to case undergrad right now, and i'm heading to UM law. i HATE cleveland with a passion. hate it hate it.

...enjoy...

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
regarding my previous comment--some people know how to have a good time anywhere. cleveland may work for you. gray weather really gets me down to the point that i don't and won't go outside. plus i work downtown and it's depressing because it's as if the entire city is dying. and it feels like all the people who go to case (at least undergrad) are really homogeneous.

this was supposed to sound more positive but that didn't really work out. hmmm.

« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2007, 12:06:12 AM »
It's all good, bittersweet--that's why people like me need to go to Case--to break up that homogeneity.  I've noticed that Cleveland people tend to stay in Cleveland, but I'm hoping Case takes me away....

Having not grown up here, I'm not sucked into the vortex of the lousiest economy in the US.  Can't wait to get out...

As for Miami--it was 82 degrees today.  In Cleveland, we had just enough cold rain to melt away the most significant piles of snow.  How friggin' exciting :P

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2007, 06:46:13 AM »
i kind of hate to bag on cleveland since i've live here most of my life, but i cannot help it.  it just seems to end up toward the bottom in a lot of things (economy, public education funding, housing market, etc).  today, i read about the high incidents of gonorrhea.  it's time to get out of here.  i wonder if in a few years i will miss it?!?!?!

« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »
i kind of hate to bag on cleveland since i've live here most of my life, but i cannot help it.  it just seems to end up toward the bottom in a lot of things (economy, public education funding, housing market, etc).  today, i read about the high incidents of gonorrhea.  it's time to get out of here.  i wonder if in a few years i will miss it?!?!?!

Yes.  Get out of Cleveland.  Especially if you grew up here.  I've never lived somewhere where SO many middle-aged people grew up there as well.  I'm not sure why people get stuck in Cleveland, but it's pretty depressing.

My situation is different, so I don't really mind Cleveland that much.  Didn't grow up here, and don't plan to stay more than I have to.  Hopefully Case will open up some opportunities elsewhere.

But this is a thread for UM, so enough about Cleveland, right?  You should all be talking about sun and palm trees and having a drink at the Rathskeller :)

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2007, 08:32:32 AM »
yeah the rathskellar looked so cute! why, oh why is august so far away??

last comment on cleveland: there's actually sun out today. it's pretty crazy. yesterday i almost got blown into a construction hole from the horrible wind. today there's a blue sky and everything. i think it's interesting that the weather always gets better just as i'm LEAVING the city, ie i'm going to toronto today for the weekend.

have a nice weekend!

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
yeah the rathskellar looked so cute! why, oh why is august so far away??

last comment on cleveland: there's actually sun out today. it's pretty crazy. yesterday i almost got blown into a construction hole from the horrible wind. today there's a blue sky and everything. i think it's interesting that the weather always gets better just as i'm LEAVING the city, ie i'm going to toronto today for the weekend.

have a nice weekend!

Have fun in Canadia!

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »
I'm attending weddings in state all summer and going to try and work, so I'm moving down late July/early Aug.  

I believe Orientation is on Aug 13th so I'm giving myself about two weeks to get acclimated with the area.

I plan on studying on the beach if thats what it takes to get there!

Ditto, ditto and ditto. Actually I don't finish UG until the end of July  :P