Law School Discussion

U.S. lawyers practicing in Canada?

U.S. lawyers practicing in Canada?
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:16:27 PM »
What happens if a one attends law school in the US, and then for reasons unrelated to one's career, ends up living in Canada? Is the degree usable in Canada, or is there an LLM or similar course to be able to practice there?  This isn't something I ever would have thought of before, but due to some recent happenings, there's a slim chance it might be something I'll have to consider.  I'm a US citizen, which probably won't help.  I'm afraid to take on a lot of law school debt if I won't be able to pay it off...but I don't want to automatically choose my cheapest school and sell myself short if the Canada thing doesn't work out or if rank matters equally either way.  Unfortunately, I won't have any idea about whether Canada is on the horizon until well after I've started school...sigh. Help?

Lil Orphan Annie

Re: U.S. lawyers practicing in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »
If you graduate from a higher ranked US school (T14 or so) I think you can get away with practising in Canada if you take an equivalency exam of some sort. Or you can take an extra year of Canadian law courses to supplement your JD.  It's not easy practising in Canada with an US law degree, but certainly not impossible.