Law School Discussion

Took my first practice... now where to go

Took my first practice... now where to go
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:27:01 AM »

Ok, so ive been studying for months and finally took my first practive test for Oct 2. I was really scared because ive read about people getting 140s and 150s and was worried that would be me because for some reason i assume everyone who takes the lsat is smart, but apparently not. Well, i took it and got a 173. it was from the Feb 2001 exam. I figure this is a good way to start out. Ive been busting my ass on games and reasoning for about 3 months and it finally paid off. So heres the deal, with a 3.1 in chem and a masters, where can i confidently apply. My top choices are Boalt, Penn, NYU, GW and G-town, and columbia, I know the GPA sucks, so GW and Boalt are probably more likely than the others....right?.....can i get some input and suggestions please.

BTW....im not URM or anything. i have been independent since 7, no guardians or anything, so that may be a unique circumstrance for my PS and stuff...

thanks guys.

!@#$%

• View Profile
Re: Took my first practice... now where to go
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 06:17:03 AM »

I know the GPA sucks, so GW and Boalt are probably more likely than the others....right?.....can i get some input and suggestions please.

BTW....im not URM or anything. i have been independent since 7, no guardians or anything, so that may be a unique circumstrance for my PS and stuff...

thanks guys.

Um, not really.  Most schools place significantly more weight on your LSAT score, with Boalt being a notable exception.  If you run your numbers through Chiashu (www.chiashu.com/lsat.html), you will see that a 3.1/174 gives you about a 2% chance of getting into Boalt.  Of the schools you listed, GW would be your only "likely admit," and Georgetown would be a possibility.  The rest would probably classify as "reaches."

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »
I'm in a similar boat, but with a lower ugpa.  Same major as you w/grad work.

I'm applying to GW, GMU and G-town.  With #s like yours, I'd adise against using Chiashu too much (look for a thread on "chiashu accuracy" for my explanation), but to use the grids in the LSAC guide...you are at least above the 3.0 which seems to be magical...many schools don't seem to be able to stomach a 2.9 no matter how high the LSAT or how crazy the life experience, which is understandable.

GMU will be more likely than GW, which is a definite possibility, but G-town is gonna be a pretty big stretch.

The others on your list would be highly unlikely...if you can afford it, apply to all anyway, but I've scaled back on my "reach" ambitions a bit as the bill started getting bigger and bigger.

Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 03:45:44 PM »
Holden,

you're out everywhere. Try being more realistic.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 04:53:01 PM »
i dont think you can say hes out everywhere....there is more to an application other than numbers...

With that said, GW is certainly within reach

superiorlobe

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 04:58:43 PM »
Just jack the LSAT up to a 179.  That should put another one or two schools in play.

DOWNY

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 05:03:30 PM »
Just jack the LSAT up to a 179.  That should put another one or two schools in play.

Better yet, get a 180, and a 4.0 gpa, and then maybe be a Rhodes Scholar and cure cancer and also remember to be the son/daughter of the law school dean. That should put another one or two schools in play.

superiorlobe

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 05:35:05 PM »

Better yet, get a 180, and a 4.0 gpa, and then maybe be a Rhodes Scholar and cure cancer and also remember to be the son/daughter of the law school dean. That should put another one or two schools in play.

His GPA is already determined, you dumb ass.

superiorlobe

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 05:43:21 PM »
I see you reading this post, Downy.  Go ahead and say something.

DOWNY

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 05:48:28 PM »

His GPA is already determined, you dumb ass.

I guess someone is not very adept at picking up on sarcasm. The OP's parents' identities are also determined already and they are unlikely to become the deans of a law school- why didn't you point that one out, too?

inferiorlobe was obviously unable to discern that DOWNY was making fun of him.

inferiorlobe, you should really improve your logical skills, or you are doomed on the LSAT. If by chance you have taken the LSAT already you will still be doomed in law school. Law school requires the ability to discern with a scrutinizing mind the minute details and variations of complext texts. Your blatant inability to infer an obvious use of sarcasm in a two-sentence post portends your future failures.

The best part about your reply is not the outright stupidity it exhibits, but the manner in which you confidently assume you are right. You will be the dumbass in the back of the room who will shout a wrong answer, only to be ridiculed by everyone else.

You make me laugh, dipshit.

The next time you want to speak to me, try to at least forge a semblance of intelligence. I've spoken with bricks that could outwit you.

DOWNY owns you, female dog.