Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.  (Read 6825 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:51:13 PM »
I got my first acceptance last week.  Baby is due August 9th IF IT'S MINE.  How feasable is law school + child support?

I'm 23 with only 1K debt to my name, and I'm currently bartending to pay the rent.  How screwed am I?  2.7/167... should I just take a free ride from a t4 and pay CS on loans?  I'm strongly considering shooting for Air Force JAG, so I wouldn't need to go to the "best" school I can get into.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Re: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »
I got my first acceptance last week.  Baby is due August 9th IF IT'S MINE.  How feasable is law school + child support?

I'm 23 with only 1K debt to my name, and I'm currently bartending to pay the rent.  How screwed am I?  2.7/167... should I just take a free ride from a t4 and pay CS on loans?  I'm strongly considering shooting for Air Force JAG, so I wouldn't need to go to the "best" school I can get into.

Not as screwed as she is!

Actually, she was TRYING to get pregnant.  Truth.  She's also crazy in thinking I won't demand a paternity test.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »
PS if you're going to have black out drunk one night stands I suggest wearing a condom.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »
Air Force JAG is competitive.  I don't know how much it matters what school you go to, but I wouldn't automatically assume that you'll be head of your class at a T4 and therefore be an auto-admit to JAG.

You might be able to defer court mandated child support until after you graduate law school.  Of course that'll suck for your child, but depending on the county, they base how much child support you pay based on your income, and if you don't have income, there's not much you can do. Of course they might write into the agreement that your case is reevaluated when you graduate and have income.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:24:29 PM »
According to a google search, you can do a paternity test at the end of the 1st trimester. So, theoretically, if you do one now, you may have your answer before you have to make your, ahem, deposit.

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
You might be able to defer court mandated child support until after you graduate law school.  Of course that'll suck for your child, but depending on the county, they base how much child support you pay based on your income, and if you don't have income, there's not much you can do. Of course they might write into the agreement that your case is reevaluated when you graduate and have income.

I don't know to what state the above discussion refers, but judgment entries ordering child support in Ohio don't get deferred.  After any applicable tests to establish paternity, the non-custodial parent's financial obligations begin with the date of entry.  If the non-custodial parent has no reportable income, the support accrues as arrears.  In addition, the state of Ohio will take professional licenses, Social Security payments and tax refunds to offset arrears.  And there's always jail time--CSEAs in Ohio's counties are getting more aggressive about putting deadbeat parents in prison.  "Wanted" posters with pictures of deadbeat parents and the amounts of their arrears are now posted at interstate highway rest stops.

And if there is a change in the non-custodial parent's income level, either parent can request a modification hearing.  A non-custodial parent graduating from law school may trigger a modification hearing--of course, child support arrears may prevent that new JD from sitting for the bar exam in Ohio.

Get the paternity test ASAP.  Better yet, get a lawyer who knows the applicable family law in your jurisdiction.
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
PS if you're going to have black out drunk one night stands I suggest wearing a condom.

Dooder, sorry to hear about this.

When I was in hs, my gf at the time got pregnant. Pretty much the scariest time of my life.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »
"According to a google search, you can do a paternity test at the end of the 1st trimester. So, theoretically, if you do one now, you may have your answer before you have to make your, ahem, deposit"

not without her consent.  It's invasive.  She doesn't want one but doesn't know how dead set on getting one eventually that I am.

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
Oh. That makes sense.

I would think you'd have a right to insist on one before being required to pay child support....

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »
Oh. That makes sense.

I would think you'd have a right to insist on one before being required to pay child support....

I do.  I'm not signing *&^%.