Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.  (Read 6795 times)

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
You do realize that your child support wouldn't be that expensive, right? In WA state, at least, child support is a pre-determined amount that is split by the percentage of each parent's income. So, if she makes pretty much anything, she will get the bulk of the amount and you'll be ordered to pay a small percentage.

I have THREE kids, and at the time of our child support hearing, my ex and I made about 3k per month each. He pays $600 per month for all three, which is the amount in the state table (i.e. no strange deviation). The court apparently believes that it only costs about $1200 per month to provide for three kids.

The only iffy thing for you is what she decides for daycare. Child support isn't the big issue, daycare is. It is, again, split by income but it can be very expensive. If she stops working or has any kind of family care, you'll be fine.

Wow only $600 for 3 kids. My friends with children in the Army were paying like $400 or more per kid and thats off a very modest income for some people is was like half there income.

This may sound odd coming from someone whose pregnant right now....but cut the guy a break...we all make mistakes, and he will paying for his in one way or another for a very long time, child support could very well be the least of it. Or on the hand, it could be a very positive thing.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
Just got my biggest $$$ offer yet.  75% tuition (68.4K total) at Hamline.  That'd make tuition + Cost of Living under $15,000/yr.  Think I could make child support on loans alone?

I'm dead serious about this JAG thing, even if it turns out not to me mine, so the prestige of my law program might not matter as much. 

pfont77

• Twice as fast as your ass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »
It all depends on your monthly child support payment.  Whether its possible is entirely up to you.  I assume you're just finishing undergrad, and with just 1K of debt to your name, you seem to be financially disciplined.

I took a soldier of mine to the child support office a couple of years ago.  He was going to school part time, and he had just split with his wife.  They had three kids.  As they were computing his income from his LES, the guy at the child support office came up with a figure.  My soldier thought it was too high and started to complain that he had needs also and that he needed the money, also saying that the ex was just gonna blow it and she didnt need that much...blah blah.  The child support worker stopped writing and looked at him and told him "you don't have any needs"...and continued his work. So just be ready for some news that you might not like.

Good luck with JAG.  From what I understand, it is very competitive, especially AF JAG due to force restructuring.

Bottom line: Find out what the the exact figure is, as well as any insurance you may have to pay and plan your expenses around the child support, since it will be the most important expense you will have. 

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
PS if you're going to have black out drunk one night stands I suggest wearing a condom.

Oh man, I'm rolling on the floor laughing. I love this quote above and then reading "Prospective JAG" under your tar. Phew!  :D

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
I got my first acceptance last week.  Baby is due August 9th IF IT'S MINE.  How feasable is law school + child support?

I'm 23 with only 1K debt to my name, and I'm currently bartending to pay the rent.  How screwed am I?  2.7/167... should I just take a free ride from a t4 and pay CS on loans?  I'm strongly considering shooting for Air Force JAG, so I wouldn't need to go to the "best" school I can get into.

I know people who have done grad school and still made child support payments. It's doable. You just need to manage your finances well.
VIP.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »
Thanks font and villanova.

Hamline's offer includes a chance to do a fellowship that'd bring my tuition down to four grand a year TOTAL.

Indiana's tuition would be 50K more, for a much more reputable program, but with the baby thing, yikes.  I'm seriously thinking about going with the money.  Ultimately, I wanna do a lot more schooling and wind up an undergraduate professor.  I think 20 years in the service would be a good way to get there.

demian23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 01:23:11 PM »
Depending on how messed up mom is:  Take her along?  A long term relationship with a lawyer is a good investment for a woman with this kind of guile.  You may be able to negotiate a mutually beneficial arrangement.  Get custody?  If you have primary custody because mom is unfit, forget about CS payments out of your loans.  Financial aid gives you allowances for childcare expenses, and you'd have all the rewards of parenthood. 

I feel for you very strongly.  What this woman did was morally wrong.  HOWEVER, a previous poster said that your kid would be around forever, and that's true.  It's very easy for us young men to take a short-sighted and fearful view of pregnancy, boiling it down to numbers and such.  But think, assuming it is your child, you're talking about a person you will watch grow to adulthood and beyond, and who will probably be there at your deathbed someday.  The short term obligation and responsibility seems overwhelming, but the long-term rewards are unmatched.  If you're about to take on law school and all the hardships and tribulations involved, why not parenthood?

I say get the test and don't give up your dream OR your child.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 12:34:32 PM »
IT'S BROWN! HAHAHAHAOMFGLOL!!!!!!!!!111111111

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »
So I take it she had the UPS man's baby?

See what Brown can do for you.
Vanderbilt 2010

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
I pale face.  She also vanilla face.  Baby is CARAMEL FACE.  AHAHAHAHHAHAA!!!!!!