Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.  (Read 6868 times)

momtothree

• View Profile
Re: Oops. She's pregnant, and she's hoping it's mine.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »
You're going to make a great dad.
My thoughts exactly.

pfont77

• Twice as fast as your ass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 09:13:21 AM »
The following is written with some sarcasm....

As far as you not signing anything....good luck with that.  You don't have to sign anything to be on the birth certificate.  The mother of the child can put you on there....its your responsibility to prove that you are not the child's natural father.  That may mean going to court and getting a court ordered paternity test, which could take months, while your child support starts at birth. 

Also, even if you are a student and not working, many times you will be responsible for paying a percentage (usually anywhere from 20-35 percent, depending if the child has special needs) of what a normal person would working forty hours a week.  Also, if your baby's momma is working, you could be responsible for half of the daycare expense for the hours that she works or in school, on top of regular child support.  You also could be responsible for providing medical and dental insurance for the child.

If you should happen to fall behind in child support, as stated above, you will go into arrears and possibly to jail if you fall behind enough.  If you are behind in your child support you might be able to take the bar exam, but you will NOT be able to enter the military. 

Once you are in the military, thats where the fun begins.  You will be an O2 (LT) for about six months.  The current O2 base pay is 2844 a month.  BAS is 192 a month.  Now your BAH (housing allowance) will depend on where you live.  Lets say it will be about 1500 a month, which is average.  Thats 4536 a month. Your child support will fall anywhere from about 1000-1600 a month.  Dont worry about paying it, it will automatically be deducted from your check every month, you wont even have to see it!  Your child will have free medical coverage, and dental is only like 25 bucks a month. 

The best part of all this is that you have NO say in where the child support money goes.  Anything that you give directly to the child is not counted in child support.  The best thing to do, if you are the dad, is to go to court for child support right away, or have the local child support office figure it out for you, and they can have a judge sign it.  Then, make arrangements to PAY THE STATE DIRECTLY.  People do this (myself included) because the mother can be dishonest and say "I never got the money" and you find yourself in arrears.

End sarcasm.....

Seriously though, be a man and step up and face your responsiblity, both financially and morally.  You should to be in the child's life and be a good dad.  You may have to put law school off for a bit or go part time.  Your law career might work out and it might not...but your child will always be there. 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:17 AM »
Defer law school for another year and wait to find out if the baby is yours. If it is and you are financially responsible, you should consider PT school and working FT
Vanderbilt 2010

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
So persuading the mom not to keep it is out of the question? I mean, look at the situation here... you don't appear to want to be a Dad, and the mother is **HOPING** that it's yours, meaning it could be someone else's. Doesn't sound like this is the right environment for either person to be bringing a child in. Make her an offer right now to cover the costs of any medical treatment if she decides not to keep it, regardless of paternity. Get it in writing. Let her also know that if she decides to keep it, you're going to make paternity a fight. If she's right and it is yours, then you're pretty much SOL. If it's not, and she's just hoping to land some money from a future lawyer, then she's taking a pretty big risk here.
Yeah, this sounds pretty cold... but what's worse? Bringing an unintended child into a single-parent relationship with a mother that doesn't even know who the father of her child is? That sounds like a pretty harsh environment to bring a kid into...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
So persuading the mom not to keep it is out of the question? I mean, look at the situation here... you don't appear to want to be a Dad, and the mother is **HOPING** that it's yours, meaning it could be someone else's. Doesn't sound like this is the right environment for either person to be bringing a child in. Make her an offer right now to cover the costs of any medical treatment if she decides not to keep it, regardless of paternity. Get it in writing. Let her also know that if she decides to keep it, you're going to make paternity a fight. If she's right and it is yours, then you're pretty much SOL. If it's not, and she's just hoping to land some money from a future lawyer, then she's taking a pretty big risk here.
Yeah, this sounds pretty cold... but what's worse? Bringing an unintended child into a single-parent relationship with a mother that doesn't even know who the father of her child is? That sounds like a pretty harsh environment to bring a kid into...
Rob

TITCR
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
You're going to make a great dad.

:D :D :D

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
does springer pay his guests?
there's a potential source of income

pfont77

• Twice as fast as your ass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
does springer pay his guests?
there's a potential source of income

Go with Maury...he gives you a flight, hotel room, and he'll pay for the test.  What a deal!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
this thread makes me miss umass

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »
On a related note, did you know that they sell the morning after pill OTC?  I remember debates about it, but I didn't think anything ever was resolved.  Then I switched pharmacies, and noticed in the new one, they have tags hanging by the condoms.  You take one up to the pharmacy and they ring up the morning after pill.  If you're <18, you need a prescription.

I'm all for it, but it just seems like it totally slipped by me.  How did that happen when people in TX are flipping out over HPV?

Anyway, knowing that...OP could have bought a stash of morning after pills, keep them in his kitchen, and then make breakfast for all one night stands...a nice bowl of oatmeal (sticks to your ribs) with a ground up morning after pill (makes sure nothing sticks).
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*