Law School Discussion

65% Chiashu percentage at a school

JTG

• View Profile
Re: 65% Chiashu percentage at a school
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
My Chiashu numbers were 64% at Virginia and 68% at Michigan, and I've been waitlisted at both schools. Definitely don't consider them safeties. I'd say a safety is something north of 90%.
[/quote

You've got quite a huge split goin on though right? It appears that way.

jamas

• Two-Fisted Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
Yeah, but according to LSN, they're relatively splitter-friendly schools (which is why I spent my money applying to them instead of, say, Boalt). Northwestern is extremely splitter-friendly according to LSN, my percentage there was 73, and I've been deferred there and maybe waitlisted again after that.

My point is that this late in the cycle you can't take anything for granted, least of all a Chiashu percentage in the sixties.

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
Yeah, but according to LSN, they're relatively splitter-friendly schools (which is why I spent my money applying to them instead of, say, Boalt). Northwestern is extremely splitter-friendly according to LSN, my percentage there was 73, and I've been deferred there and maybe waitlisted again after that.

My point is that this late in the cycle you can't take anything for granted, least of all a Chiashu percentage in the sixties.

Oh no, I'm not taking it for granted at all. Don't get me wrong . I just talked to somone after getting my score and he says i am f*****. I think that I am still in decent shape though with a 38th percentile GPA and an 85th or so percentile LSAT, right? Just checked and BUffalo last year was 157 for 75th and i got a 158. i still have a decent shot right?

I mean my application is still in a week before the deadline for the school. that's not incredibly late right? remember buffalo has a late deadline of march 15th.

can i take an 89% and 95% chiashu for granted though?

jamas

• Two-Fisted Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »
A decent shot, sure. But I wouldn't call it a safety, no.

95% I would call a safety.

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »
Gotcha. Does it help that i saw this list of important factors to various schools, like the most important factors after LSAT and GPA, and buffalo's was letters of rec. Both of my letters of rec are stellar like A's. This should push me into the admit if I wasn't there already, right? Like If I'm borderline?

Thanks.+-

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
bump

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 03:59:47 AM »
I think the most important difference is that one of you is talking about T14 schools and the other is talking about Buffalo. How many applications do you think Buffalo gets at their 75percentile?  I think if you can credibly commit to the school that you’re interested in going if admitted, you’ll get an offer. 

funky cold, this cycle. my lsat is actually 82nd percentile for buffalo. My GPA is between 35th and 40th percentile. I will tell that I am interested in going somewhere in my personal statement and follow up with a visit as well to the admissions office if possible.

Good?

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
I think the most important difference is that one of you is talking about T14 schools and the other is talking about Buffalo. How many applications do you think Buffalo gets at their 75percentile?  I think if you can credibly commit to the school that you’re interested in going if admitted, you’ll get an offer. 

funky cold. my lsat is actually 82nd percentile for buffalo. My GPA is between 35th and 40th percentile. I will tell that I am interested in going somewhere in my personal statement and follow up with a visit as well to the admissions office if possible.

Good?

JTG, step 1, relax. Are you applying this cycle or next? If it's this one, then you need to get your apps in ASAP. That's really the only thing that I see keeping you from an acceptance. FYI, My LSAT was @ 75% and GPA @ ~ 40% for both my acceptances. Plug your #s into the LSAC predictor and see what pops up, however I believe that it underestimates your true chances.

As for your personal statement just using an [insert university name here] format is a bit insincere. If you really want to signal your commitment, be sure you write all the Why X essays you’re allowed, and it doesn’t hurt to talk about what about you will enrich that school specifically. That and by burning bridges behind you of course. Finally, relax.

buffalo doesn't have any why X  essays. they have a generic personal statement option(hardships overcome, interesting experiences) or a tell your story option. i'm doing the generic one because i have a great story to tell about hardships overcome. the second essay is to write about two books that i've read recently and what i thought about them. the app will be in on monday with both done. what else can i do?

thanks.

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
thanks for your help as well protagon.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

funky cold. my lsat is actually 82nd percentile for buffalo. My GPA is between 35th and 40th percentile. I will tell that I am interested in going somewhere in my personal statement and follow up with a visit as well to the admissions office if possible.

Good?

JTG, step 1, relax. Are you applying this cycle or next? If it's this one, then you need to get your apps in ASAP. That's really the only thing that I see keeping you from an acceptance. FYI, My LSAT was @ 75% and GPA @ ~ 40% for both my acceptances. Plug your #s into the LSAC predictor and see what pops up, however I believe that it underestimates your true chances.

As for your personal statement just using an [insert university name here] format is a bit insincere. If you really want to signal your commitment, be sure you write all the Why X essays you’re allowed, and it doesn’t hurt to talk about what about you will enrich that school specifically. That and by burning bridges behind you of course. Finally, relax.

buffalo doesn't have any why X  essays. they have a generic personal statement option(hardships overcome, interesting experiences) or a tell your story option. i'm doing the generic one because i have a great story to tell about hardships overcome. the second essay is to write about two books that i've read recently and what i thought about them. the app will be in on monday with both done. what else can i do?

thanks.

Well most schools allow you to attach "any additional materials" that they would find helpful in making a decision on your application.  That is why you would write a "Why ____" essay and indicate to them that Buffalo is your #1 choice.  You'd have a much better chance at admission.