Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.  (Read 12889 times)

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2007, 04:51:39 PM »
Bush is not a war criminal, he is not remotely similar to Adolf Hitler, he has persued policies that are in no way comparable to those of Adolf Hitler. Comparing him and his actions to Adold Hitler implies that the holocaust and the actions of the Nazi Reich "weren't that bad," and it IS offensive to me. Ann Coulter illustrating that we have become overly obsessed with political correctness by using a very politically incorrect example, is not offensive to me. YOU DO NOT HAVE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO BEING OFFENDED.....please, think

actually, bush related to hitler on his mother's side.  they third cousins, or something like that.

sorry.

THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.  It would be slightly clever had I used the word "related."
W&L '10

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »
I'm curious, AJF. Do Anne Coulter's comments not offend you because you think her hate speech is just the bluster of a pundit who wants publicity (and you would be similarly unoffended by her calling Barack Obama an n-word)? Or is it because you just don't think that homosexuals are a category of people deserving of protection from hate speech the way blacks, jews, etc. are? Or another reason?

I don't like the word faggot, I don't use it. I think if you examine the context of what she said, she was illustrating that our society has become overly sensitive, because when the Grey's Anatomy Actor (I forget his name) called another Greys anatomy actor a "faggot" he was forced to go to rehab, or lose his job. I think that this is an overreaction, and I think the response to Coulter's comments are also an overreaction. When Senator Byrd, Democrat from West Virginia said "ive seen alot of white niggers in my day" on national TV 5 years ago, where was the outrage from the left? That seems far more offensive of a statement, so the response to Ms. Coulter's offensive remarks can be seen as strictly political, and can be dismissed just as quickly. As far as what I find offensive, I think the word "n-word" has extremely deeply rooted historical components and I think it is probably more offensive than the word "faggot" in my mind. I am personally offended by hate speech against Jews. Im sure faggot is very offensive to the homosexual community but remember, she didnt say "you're a faggot," "I hate faggots," "Faggots are inferior," or really anything of the sort. She just implied that if she HAD called someone that word, she would be sent to rehab. If that is hate speech, then most Richard Wright and Mark Twain books would be banned because they address the issue, not participate in it.

julie just think a.c. want call j.e. that name.

Agreed.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »
Bush is not a war criminal, he is not remotely similar to Adolf Hitler, he has persued policies that are in no way comparable to those of Adolf Hitler. Comparing him and his actions to Adold Hitler implies that the holocaust and the actions of the Nazi Reich "weren't that bad," and it IS offensive to me. Ann Coulter illustrating that we have become overly obsessed with political correctness by using a very politically incorrect example, is not offensive to me. YOU DO NOT HAVE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO BEING OFFENDED.....please, think

actually, bush related to hitler on his mother's side. they third cousins, or something like that.

sorry.

THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE. It would be slightly clever had I used the word "related."

never heard of dna?

putz.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »
I'm curious, AJF. Do Anne Coulter's comments not offend you because you think her hate speech is just the bluster of a pundit who wants publicity (and you would be similarly unoffended by her calling Barack Obama an n-word)? Or is it because you just don't think that homosexuals are a category of people deserving of protection from hate speech the way blacks, jews, etc. are? Or another reason?

I don't like the word faggot, I don't use it. I think if you examine the context of what she said, she was illustrating that our society has become overly sensitive, because when the Grey's Anatomy Actor (I forget his name) called another Greys anatomy actor a "faggot" he was forced to go to rehab, or lose his job. I think that this is an overreaction, and I think the response to Coulter's comments are also an overreaction. When Senator Byrd, Democrat from West Virginia said "ive seen alot of white niggers in my day" on national TV 5 years ago, where was the outrage from the left? That seems far more offensive of a statement, so the response to Ms. Coulter's offensive remarks can be seen as strictly political, and can be dismissed just as quickly. As far as what I find offensive, I think the word "n-word" has extremely deeply rooted historical components and I think it is probably more offensive than the word "faggot" in my mind. I am personally offended by hate speech against Jews. Im sure faggot is very offensive to the homosexual community but remember, she didnt say "you're a faggot," "I hate faggots," "Faggots are inferior," or really anything of the sort. She just implied that if she HAD called someone that word, she would be sent to rehab. If that is hate speech, then most Richard Wright and Mark Twain books would be banned because they address the issue, not participate in it.

julie just think a.c. want call j.e. that name.

Agreed.

you fine american.

Steak Pita

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self 'tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »

Why should anyone deserve protection from "hate speech?" I can't stand Ann Coulter (mostly because she is a blowhard who makes conservatives look bad, which they aren't), but I don't think what she said was a big deal. This is mostly because I'm not some oversensitive creampuff who gets my panties in a bunch every time I hear a naughty or offensive word.

I'm not offended by people calling George W. Bush a Nazi either. Sure it's an exaggeration, but he certainly seems to have some fascist tendencies.

I just wish everyone would stop claiming how offended they are by what other people say. Everyone seems to be competing for the title of biggest victim. I'm sick of it.

Whiners and crybabies, all of you!
WUSTL '10

annab

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »

Why should anyone deserve protection from "hate speech?" I can't stand Ann Coulter (mostly because she is a blowhard who makes conservatives look bad, which they aren't), but I don't think what she said was a big deal. This is mostly because I'm not some oversensitive creampuff who gets my panties in a bunch every time I hear a naughty or offensive word.

I'm not offended by people calling George W. Bush a Nazi either. Sure it's an exaggeration, but he certainly seems to have some fascist tendencies.

I just wish everyone would stop claiming how offended they are by what other people say. Everyone seems to be competing for the title of biggest victim. I'm sick of it.

More likely, you're just not a member of a group that faces incessant societal discrimination.  :)

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »

To be clear, I was only expressing being personally offended by calling bush a Nazi to make a point, I completely agree with you...
W&L '10

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
You know who's really a present-day Hitler?  Ronnie Earle!

Quote from: Tom Delay
I believe it was Adolf Hitler who first acknowledged that the big lie is more effective than the little lie, because the big lie is so audacious, such an astonishing immorality, that people have a hard time believing anyone would say it if it wasn’t true.

You know, the big lie — like the Holocaust never happened or dark-skinned people are less intelligent than light-skinned people. Well, by charging this big lie about money laundering, liberals have finally joined the ranks of scoundrels like Hitler.

That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »

julie hate you.

Mr. Bitterness

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2007, 07:20:51 PM »

More likely, you're just not a member of a group that faces incessant societal discrimination.  :)

Parable:

One time, when I was working my third 75-hour-week in a row last year, a friend of mine (who is a trust-fund baby and has never worked a day in her life, to my knowledge) asked me to go to her "I'm leaving the country and will visit Paris, Prague, and other exotic locales for months!" party. I declined, saying I was too tired to party and that I had to work early the following morning. She then berated me for being a crybaby who only ever whines about work.