Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.  (Read 12458 times)

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »
ok, so faggot is an offensive word, fair enough.  Do I condone the widespread use of the word "faggot"? no.  But I hope you become equally outraged when the President is called a nazi, terrorist, or murderer?  Just because the gay rights movement is en vogue for young college students doesnt mean that other young college student causes dont engage in the same hateful tactics.

I think you need to try a little harder to tease out the differences between calling someone a murderer vs. a faggot and the lunch table at the student union vs. a major political conference.

Dennis Kucinich, a US Rep. attended the anti-war march in DC that called Bush all of these things.  This is a man who spoke at the DNC 2 years ago. Theres video of him applauding the hate rhetoric.  Hardly a lunch table.  Ann is a pundit, she gets payed to say this stuff.  Why is this so concerning or surprising, Al Franken says crazy stuff to Democrat 527s all the time, ever heard of moveon.org? that is also a PAC.
W&L '10

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »
do you know what a PUNDIT is?

that is coulter.

I don't see how this applies to the issue at hand. Simply stating that a so-called shock pundit's job is to shock doesn't in and of itself excuse the offense, or does it?

do you accept what colbert does or stewart or miller as offensive?

aye find them mildly amusing and frankly ineffectual...like coulter and huffington...sorry :-\
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
ok, so faggot is an offensive word, fair enough.  Do I condone the widespread use of the word "faggot"? no.  But I hope you become equally outraged when the President is called a nazi, terrorist, or murderer?  Just because the gay rights movement is en vogue for young college students doesnt mean that other young college student causes dont engage in the same hateful tactics.

I think you need to try a little harder to tease out the differences between calling someone a murderer vs. a faggot and the lunch table at the student union vs. a major political conference.

Dennis Kucinich, a US Rep. attended the anti-war march in DC that called Bush all of these things.  This is a man who spoke at the DNC 2 years ago. Theres video of him applauding the hate rhetoric.  Hardly a lunch table.  Ann is a pundit, she gets payed to say this stuff.  Why is this so concerning or surprising, Al Franken says crazy stuff to Democrat 527s all the time, ever heard of moveon.org? that is also a PAC.

black panther is losing his touch with this one...looks like  BP reflects the dems: running out of ideas...bush still calls the shots...even after soooo many "democrats"...wink wink...were elected.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »
AJF, I refer you back to my post re: the distinction between value judgments of a single person vs. of an entire group.

Blue, your argument is diversionary and evasive.

don't colbert and stewart and miller get hired by entire groups to "shock" and "entertain" them?

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »
AJF, I refer you back to my post re: the distinction between value judgments of a single person vs. of an entire group.

a.) yep, also the word choice and context are important variables.

b.) lol (no offense at all) - but seriously, just organize your thoughts more clearly with regards to what details you are actually trying to address and/or respond to and you'll make more sense to others.

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 01:06:22 PM »
UMN '10

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »

ok, i see your point but consider this:  I (gasp) supported/still support the action in Iraq.  You see, when Bush is called those things, its also calling me and all the millions who agree with me, those things.  Bush is the President, but he stands for an administration, and millions of Americans who put him there.  Indeed, there are more Republicans in this country than homosexuals.  Im just saying, Ann Coulter using the word "faggot" should not be any more remarkable than calling Bush/hawks (like myself) nazis.  I dont get all worked up about being called a nazi because I know its absurd....you see what I am saying?
W&L '10

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
Did the media jump all over this though?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »
 :D :D :D :D

so...are we going to not get our panties in a bunch when coulter or colbert are hired by groups to "entertain" them now...and place our displeasure with things that really count...like a role-model named tim hardaway, who expresses genuine hatred?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
don't colbert and stewart and miller get hired by entire groups to "shock" and "entertain" them?

They're hired to entertain them. Occasionally an opinion might be shocking. Shocking is not the same as offensive, which is the crux of your diversionary tactic. Now, on to the evasion, for which I quote my previous question to you:

Simply stating that a so-called shock pundit's job is to shock doesn't in and of itself excuse the offense, or does it?

aye find hillary clinton offensive all the time...

so who cares if howard stern or coulter call people the f-word...aye won't lose any sleep over it...they are meant to provoke you...and you got fooled by someone who you think should be taken seriously.

it is an old trick which people like howard stern have mastered...