Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.  (Read 13414 times)

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Coulter calls Edwards a Faggot.
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2007, 01:55:35 PM »
Comparisons like that are always rhetorical and I wouldn't recommend getting too het up over them.

I would usually agree with you, but the point of the thred is kindof all about getting too het up over things.  And I do find the comparison personally offensive, so why not get het up? I find the comparison much much much more offensive than using the "f" word, in my opinion.  It isnt fair to say one is offensive and one isn't.

Except one is a belief that is becoming more widespread, including, most importantly, experts on German history and the Holocaust.  I find the thought that someone could still support Bush after all he's done laughable.  He's alienated true conservatives and liberals alike.  He is a disgrace to this country and everything we used to stand for.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Comparisons like that are always rhetorical and I wouldn't recommend getting too het up over them.

I would usually agree with you, but the point of the thred is kindof all about getting too het up over things.  And I do find the comparison personally offensive, so why not get het up? I find the comparison much much much more offensive than using the "f" word, in my opinion.  It isnt fair to say one is offensive and one isn't.

This is what I meant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
UMN '10

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2007, 03:58:49 PM »
Bush is not a war criminal, he is not remotely similar to Adolf Hitler, he has persued policies that are in no way comparable to those of Adolf Hitler.  Comparing him and his actions to Adold Hitler implies that the holocaust and the actions of the Nazi Reich "weren't that bad," and it IS offensive to me.  Ann Coulter illustrating that we have become overly obsessed with political correctness by using a very politically incorrect example, is not offensive to me.  YOU DO NOT HAVE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO BEING OFFENDED.....please, think
W&L '10

Mr. Bitterness

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »
I'm curious, AJF. Do Anne Coulter's comments not offend you because you think her hate speech is just the bluster of a pundit who wants publicity (and you would be similarly unoffended by her calling Barack Obama an n-word)? Or is it because you just don't think that homosexuals are a category of people deserving of protection from hate speech the way blacks, jews, etc. are? Or another reason?

AJF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
I'm curious, AJF. Do Anne Coulter's comments not offend you because you think her hate speech is just the bluster of a pundit who wants publicity (and you would be similarly unoffended by her calling Barack Obama an n-word)? Or is it because you just don't think that homosexuals are a category of people deserving of protection from hate speech the way blacks, jews, etc. are? Or another reason?

I don't like the word faggot, I don't use it.  I think if you examine the context of what she said, she was illustrating that our society has become overly sensitive, because when the Grey's Anatomy Actor (I forget his name) called another Greys anatomy actor a "faggot" he was forced to go to rehab, or lose his job.  I think that this is an overreaction, and I think the response to Coulter's comments are also an overreaction.  When Senator Byrd, Democrat from West Virginia said "ive seen alot of white niggers in my day" on national TV 5 years ago, where was the outrage from the left?  That seems far more offensive of a statement, so the response to Ms. Coulter's offensive remarks can be seen as strictly political, and can be dismissed just as quickly.  As far as what I find offensive, I think the word "n-word" has extremely deeply rooted historical components and I think it is probably more offensive than the word "faggot" in my mind.  I am personally offended by hate speech against Jews.  Im sure faggot is very offensive to the homosexual community but remember, she didnt say "you're a faggot," "I hate faggots," "Faggots are inferior," or really anything of the sort.  She just implied that if she HAD called someone that word, she would be sent to rehab.  If that is hate speech, then most Richard Wright and Mark Twain books would be banned because they address the issue, not participate in it.     
W&L '10

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2007, 04:38:22 PM »
You know who else used a terrorist event to seize unprecedented power, stomp on civil liberties, and invade other nations? Hitler. Maybe the people AJF mentioned weren't so far off, huh?

yes but you don't have a very good analogy in that hitler gassed his own countrymen and attempted to irradicate a culture from the planet...that analogy above is more suited to saddam hussein...

hope this helps you. :-\

wow...actually "irradication," eh?

dipshit.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
Bush is not a war criminal, he is not remotely similar to Adolf Hitler, he has persued policies that are in no way comparable to those of Adolf Hitler. Comparing him and his actions to Adold Hitler implies that the holocaust and the actions of the Nazi Reich "weren't that bad," and it IS offensive to me. Ann Coulter illustrating that we have become overly obsessed with political correctness by using a very politically incorrect example, is not offensive to me. YOU DO NOT HAVE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO BEING OFFENDED.....please, think

actually, bush related to hitler on his mother's side.  they third cousins, or something like that.

sorry.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

julie think ajf have something very, very serious to hide.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »

I don't like the word faggot, I don't use it. I think if you examine the context of what she said, she was illustrating that our society has become overly sensitive, because when the Grey's Anatomy Actor (I forget his name) called another Greys anatomy actor a "faggot" he was forced to go to rehab, or lose his job. I think that this is an overreaction, and I think the response to Coulter's comments are also an overreaction. When Senator Byrd, Democrat from West Virginia said "ive seen alot of white niggers in my day" on national TV 5 years ago, where was the outrage from the left? That seems far more offensive of a statement, so the response to Ms. Coulter's offensive remarks can be seen as strictly political, and can be dismissed just as quickly. As far as what I find offensive, I think the word "n-word" has extremely deeply rooted historical components and I think it is probably more offensive than the word "faggot" in my mind. I am personally offended by hate speech against Jews. Im sure faggot is very offensive to the homosexual community but remember, she didnt say "you're a faggot," "I hate faggots," "Faggots are inferior," or really anything of the sort. She just implied that if she HAD called someone that word, she would be sent to rehab. If that is hate speech, then most Richard Wright and Mark Twain books would be banned because they address the issue, not participate in it.

julie just think a.c. want call j.e. that name.