Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: EVERYTHING on DENVER STURM LAW  (Read 32997 times)

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
EVERYTHING on DENVER STURM LAW
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:43:38 AM »
Moving thread from here:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,77864.0.html
because of there is more traffic on this board...

Ok here are my questions about Denver and the University.

This first question is def. the most important out of the bunch.

1. My fiancee is graduating with a Associates in Nursing this Spring.  She has already been offered 3 jobs here in Texas but she can't accept them until I know where I will be this Fall.  She has heard from 2 students at her school that are trying to move to Denver, that when they inquire about jobs in Denver, they say that they must have a BSN from the Colorado schools. 

I do not want to move to a city, and she not be able to find a good nursing job.. Does anyone know anything about this?  Any suggestions?

2. I would like to live within a 10 minute drive from campus, I would also like to live where a lot of young professions are.. along with other law students.. Maybe a highrise condo, or nice apartment.. What intersection or parts of Denver meet this criteria?

3. Everyone talks about grading curves.. what is Denver's grading curve?

4. What is Denver's true attrition rate?

5. If I am wanting to pursue IP Patent law, health care law, investment law, startup business law, and white collar crime law... But mainly IP Patent.. can I get a job easily graduating from Denver?  I want to be respected and sought after.. I don't want to beg for employment..

6. What is the weather like?  Do you have to carry a snow shovel around in your car?
Are you digging yourself out from inside your apartment?  Is is rainy and overcast alot?
How warm are the summers?  When does summer start in Denver, when does it end?

7. Does the law school sponsor bar review on thursday nights?
what about other social events?  Do professors ever hold parties at their houses?
What are the students like?  Are they rich snobs?  are they blue collar hard workers? 
How does the admin treat the students?

8. How far do you have to walk from the parking garage to your classrooms?  Do you ever find yourself saying.. this really sucks walking all of this way in the freezing cold, or horrid heat?

9. How are the professors?  Are they easy to understand?  Do they make concepts easy to grasp or do you have to struggle to get it..?  Professors make the class and the education that you get at a school.. do you think that you are getting what you are paying for?  $150,000 worth..

10. the facilities are obviously nice.. do you have any complaints about them though?

11. Do you get full access to Lexis Nexis or only partial?

12. How should you prepare for 1L at Denver?

13. Tell me critisisms of the school and things associated with your experience at Denver..

14. Do you know of students who are working part time in a law related area as a 1 or 2L?  If so, how did they get it, and what type of employment is it?  Do you know anyone that is a part time patent agent while attending Denver law?

Thanks a bunch!

Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: EVERYTHING on DENVER STURM LAW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
still no word on scholarship $$$,
so i doubt i'll end up there

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:55:57 AM »

I thought you were sitting out a cycle anyway?
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

I thought you were sitting out a cycle anyway?

most likely, but if they offered sweeet $$ i'd possibly go or at least ask to be deferred and keep the scholarship $$

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:06:49 PM »
Ill try to answer a few of these…

3.  The curve is 3.09 – so between a B and a B+.  I had a couple of classes last semester where there was an even spread between A-C, and a couple of classes where the profs gave almost all B’s.

4.  I think what LSAC says (2.1%) is probably close. I know a couple of students that didn’t do so hot last semester, so they are working with AAP (academic achievement program) to improve their test taking skills.  Plus they had a mandatory meeting with the Profs, where they went over their tests and discussed what they could have done differently.  Nobody in my section failed a class last semester, and I believe my whole section of 90 is back this semester. 

8.  The parking garage is attached to the law school. You have to pay for a year permit - it gets added on to your tuition bill if you choose it.  TOTALLY worthwhile though.

11.  Full access to both Lexis and Westlaw.  I couldn’t imagine life without it.

The rest are all opinion Qs, and my brain is a little fried due to midterms, so Ill come back to those.  ;)

EDIT: Matthies beat me to it, but I thought Id post what I have already...
Matthies - we were told the curve was 3.09, not 3.0.  My classes last semester all ended up being between 3.0 and 3.9.  Dunno.
2L

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »
Yes, welcome back Matthies!!  You were SUCH a huge help last year when I was going crazy before law school.

They curve ALL first year courses and professors have the option of curving classes with 20 or more.  From what I've seen in the grade distribution, most don't curve after 1L.

Academic probation is 2.2 for 1L but the faculty just passed a proposal to raise that to a 2.3.  I agree, it is really hard to flunk out of here.  You really have to try.  If your grades suck, they will work with you.

If you ultimately decide on DU, get a parking pass for the garage.  SO worth it.

Lexis and Westlaw are lifesafers.  Not to mention a good source for free stuff.

I keep hearing how unusual this winter is.  Apparently all this snow we've been getting is not normal.  But it's snow one day, and 70 the next.

I agree on the Guerilla book.  A lady in the career services recommended it and it is awesome!!

Yes, there are social events on Thursdays.  I believe they are called Thank Goodness It's Thursday Night.  Even if you don't go to SBA sponsored events, there's plenty of people willing to go grab a beer with you.

Oh, and if there are any other current DU students reading this...GO TO THE PILG AUCTION tomorrow!!  $25 for dinner, drinking (open bar!!), and dancing with your professors and fellow law students. Bid on brunch with the dean, home cooked dinner from professor, lunch with CO supreme court chief justice, etc etc.

Good luck with your midterms cesco!  I know people in Marsh's property were going crazy.

And good luck to all of you awaiting your acceptance and/or making your final decision.
3L @ University of Denver

Blackacre2009

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »
Hmmmm.....I too should be studying for my midterm this week, but instead I'm procrastinating!!!

Anyways I'll try to put my two cents in on the questions that I can :)

1.  I have no idea about the nursing market in Denver but one of my good friends was saying a few weeks back that she had heard from her cousin (who is an RN) that there is a HUGE shortage of RNs as well as Nursing Assistants in and around the denver metro area, so I would think that your wife might be able to find a job here.

3 and 4: I agree with everyone else above, it's hard to flunk out, you really have to try (and by try I mean never show up for class and never do your reading).  That being said I do know several people on academic probation but from what I have heard they are getting lots of help and DU really does want to ensure that everyone who enrolls here graduates (hence the AAP tutoring programs, etc.)  From what I understand, academic probation is between a 2.0 and a 2.2 (faculty did just vote to increase the minimum requried gpa to a 2.3 so next year probation will be from a 2.0-2.3).  If you are below a 2.0 after your first semester of 1L then you are put on probation.  If you finish 1L with at least a 2.0 then you are allowed to continue to 2L (again with probation being until you get to a 2.2- or 2.3 next year).  If after 1L (after completing both semesters) you are below a 2.0 then you can be academically dismissed from school and if at anytime in your 2L or 3L years you fall below a 2.0 you can be dismissed, but I really think this is a rare occurence. 

5: No idea about the patent law stuff, but I do know that all of the IP postings I have seen require an undergraduate degree in engineering or a hard science and from what I have heard IP firms really like people who have some work expereince in engineering or even people with masters degrees in those fields, but as far as how the IP job market is here in Denver I have no idea :)

6: The weather here is some of the BEST in the nation!  This winter has been abnormal and frankly I'm getting sick of all of the snow (we've had a LOT this year compared to past years), but compared to winters in other places (minesota, the northeast, etc) I will put up with another 6 weeks of snow here to not have to deal with frigid cold temperatures and humidity.  The summers are great (we have some hot days but it's mostly pretty mild) and if you like to be outdoors then this is one of the best places on the planet.  Just to give you an idea of how great the location is I can go to class on Friday morning (from 9-10:15) and be on the ski slopes by 2:00 and thanks to night skiing at Keystone I can ski until 9:00pm :)  (and now all of my classmates know what I spent yesterday doing!!!)

8: Buy a parking pass for the attached garage...it's well worth the $$$ and when you have a 50 pound constittutional law book to lug around you'll be glad you don't have to hike a mile back to your car at night.

12: Prepare for 1L (no matter where you go) by taking time off to relax!  I quit my job 2 weeks prior to school starting and spent the time catching up with friends and family, shopping, being lazy, etc and it was great.  If you can afford it, taking a vacation is also great because once you start law school and depending on what you end up doing in your summers while in law school you may not have the chance to go away on vacation for a while.  I didn't read any law school prep books, but I have lots of friends who started law school before I even applied so I knew what i was getting into and what to expect, if you don't know anyone in law school reading a book about the experience, etc might not be a bad idea. 

13: I don't really have any criticisms of DU as a school.  I have thought about trying to transfer to CU at the end of this year, but that has more to do with my personal feelings about where I want to be and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything about DU as a school.  That being said, I really do think I'm getting a great eduaction at DU and I enjoy the professors and getting to know my classmates this year has been a very fun and rewarding experience.

Anyways, I hope this info helps, good luck!

scvalent

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »
Hey I just got accepted to DU and I am wondering about a couple of things regarding finances.

1. Considering the extremely high tuition at DU, how are you able to pay your tuition? I know that Stafford loans only cover upwards of around $20,000/year, what other sources of funds do you obtain to pay your tuition?

2. I am a Colorado resident, do residents of the State get any sort of tuition discount? I assume not, but I did find a Colorado Residency Verification form on the DU Law website and I am wondering what exactly is the purpose of that form.

I am pretty sure that DU would be the school for me, however I am definitely afraid of the financial burden that attending DU poses. I have never been in debt, therefore I cannot imagine having to pay back $150,000 in loans when I finish law school. Is the school worth the price? Any responses from current students or prospective student would be kindly appreciated!!!!

watson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:17:16 AM »
I am visiting Denver next week for Admitted Day as well as to check out the area and apartments.  I am thrilled and nervous at the same time.  Any tips on things to see or to check out while there?
University of Denver - Class of 2010!!

chonefiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »
Two important questions:

What kinds of numbers do you need to get some/any decent money at Denver? My GPA is not too hot (3.2) but my LSAT is around their 75% (162). I'll also be going to law school straight from ug so I'm pretty poor. They sent me a letter stating that they're gonna be making offers this/next week online.

More importantly, where is the nearest Chipotle? I know there is one on 16th street and I'm really hoping that it is not the closest one to campus.

Big props to you guys for answering everybody's questions. Good to have these insights when we're making these decisions.