Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do so many black applicants not post their LSAT?  (Read 16788 times)

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do so many black applicants not post their LSAT?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »
Huh, I never feel as if I'm spending any of my time in those discussions trying to prove I'm not a racist.

There are a variety of reasons for that, among them that you've established a rapport with those who would normally make such a charge, that you take a hard leftist position elsewhere so you're generally given some wiggle room, that you speak in less than straight language, that you typically respond to rather that start topics impeaching AA, and that you are seldom fully clear in your AA position.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2007, 12:49:29 AM »
Huh, I never feel as if I'm spending any of my time in those discussions trying to prove I'm not a racist.

There are a variety of reasons for that, among them that you've established a rapport with those who would normally make such a charge, that you take a hard leftist position elsewhere so you're generally given some wiggle room, that you speak in less than straight language, that you typically respond to rather that start topics impeaching AA, and that you are seldom fully clear in your AA position.

Oh please.  Half of this amounts to "you don't get accused of being racist because you don't act racist most of the time" (I'll take it) and the other half amounts to "you're a mushmouth" (possible, but I'm usually pretty straightforward about what I believe).

Anyway, I really don't think anti-AA posters are accused of racism as much as they drone on about being accused of racism. 

That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 12:55:49 AM »
Half of this amounts to "you don't get accused of being racist because you don't act racist most of the time

You really don't need to make my points for me.  :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »
Half of this amounts to "you don't get accused of being racist because you don't act racist most of the time

You really don't need to make my points for me.  :)

I'm sorry.  Perhaps I was using "less than straight language" and being less than "fully clear."
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 01:24:07 AM »
Answer: Denial, plain and simple.
Definition: Denial is a defense mechanism in which a person is faced with a fact that is too painful to accept and rejects it instead.

If you're black applicant admitted to DePaul with a 149 LSAT when not a single white applicant was admitted with anything below a 156, you'd also hesitate to list your LSAT score. You've been admitted solely based on your race but you'd rather have others, and yourself, believe that it was based on merit, so you enter into denial. In fact, you weren't smart enough and didn't deserve to be admitted - a very painful truth that psychologically, if accepted, would drive one to withdraw. There are thousands of black and other URM applicants out there dealing with this issue right now, and not listing an LSAT score or listing a false score are symptoms. How painful it must be years later, after graduation, to have your peers and society as a whole assume that you were admitted to law school and hired by your current firm simply because you are black.    

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 01:32:01 AM »
I'll answer the question! Why does it matter what their LSAT scores are to us? After suffering through the test, and talking to lawyers who didn't do well on their LSAT, I really don't believe the LSAT measures anything other than your mental pain threshold.

But if this is just another one of those "mine is bigger than yours contests", I don't have the right equipment to compete.

Even if we agreed that the LSAT measured nothing, such a conclusion would be totally irrelevant. Unfortunately for applicants, law schools reject and accept most non-URM applicants based almost solely on their LSAT.

And you are basing this on what??
Back in the saddle again.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:31 AM »
And so very true. There is social and moral imperative to graduate more black lawyers. To acheive this end, schools openly favor black applicants simply for being black. The statistics back it up and the school policies as practiced back it up. We can be for or against it, but we cannot hide the fact that it is happening and that a likely side affect is blacks who are embarassed to admit their low LSAT scores and also a society that will look at those who gained from this as not being worthy of their acheivements. Since blacks score roughly 10 points on average lower than whites on the LSAT, schools will either have to continue this policy of open discrimination against whites or emphasize something other than the LSAT. I happen to agree that for now the moral imperative is too great and that blacks should continue to be admitted purely based on race as is the current policy at most schools. We need more black lawyers and if we end this discrimination it will result in a huge reduction in the already low numbers of black students.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 02:16:30 AM »

Oh please.  Half of this amounts to "you don't get accused of being racist because you don't act racist most of the time" (I'll take it) and the other half amounts to "you're a mushmouth" (possible, but I'm usually pretty straightforward about what I believe).

Anyway, I really don't think anti-AA posters are accused of racism as much as they drone on about being accused of racism.

Lest we forget. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:14 AM »
My comments were based on facts and a psychological theory that I put forth. I'm unappologetic in admitting that it is a broad generalization about the affects these policies might have on the psychology of black applicants. I'm not concerned about making you feel one way or another about the issue, but would be interested in seeing you be the devils advocate. Explain to me why black applicats would not feel embarassed posting subpar LSAT scores and why current policies would not influence society as a whole to assume that blacks were admitted and hired for being black. Prove to me that there is another explanation for so many blacks not posting their LSAT scores. Of course many blacks get high scores and are admitted on merit, but entertain me with your thoughts on the others that are admitted solely based on race. 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:19 AM »
My comments were based on facts and a psychological theory that I put forth. I'm unappologetic in admitting that it is a broad generalization about the affects these policies might have on the psychology of black applicants. I'm not concerned about making you feel one way or another about the issue, but would be interested in seeing you be the devils advocate. Explain to me why black applicats would not feel embarassed posting subpar LSAT scores and why current policies would not influence society as a whole to assume that blacks were admitted and hired for being black. Prove to me that there is another explanation for so many blacks not posting their LSAT scores. Of course many blacks get high scores and are admitted on merit, but entertain me with your thoughts on the others that are admitted solely based on race. 

Why are black applicants obligated to post their LSAT score.  There are a multitude of reasons why someone would not post their LSAT score completely unrelated to embarassment. 
Back in the saddle again.