Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do so many black applicants not post their LSAT?  (Read 16555 times)

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do so many black applicants not post their LSAT?
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
I'll answer the question! Why does it matter what their LSAT scores are to us? After suffering through the test, and talking to lawyers who didn't do well on their LSAT, I really don't believe the LSAT measures anything other than your mental pain threshold.

But if this is just another one of those "mine is bigger than yours contests", I don't have the right equipment to compete.

Its not supposed to be a competition thing, disclosing one's score is a way of providing guidance to future applicants (the whole reason LSN exists in the first place).  However thanks to the comment feature some people turn it into a forum for anti-AA diatribes leaving a number of AA benefactors reluctant to post their scores.   
Me Go Cornell

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

probably to avoid harrassment from other students about their LSAT score and AA...i guess it didn't work

Are you saying that blacks who post their LSAT score on LSN will face harassment? Does this mean that blacks who do not post their LSAT score on LSN will avoid harassment? Could you please explain?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

1LCorvo

• 25,000,754 Ways to Break A Person's Neck S.Segal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »

probably to avoid harrassment from other students about their LSAT score and AA...i guess it didn't work

Are you saying that blacks who post their LSAT score on LSN will face harassment? Does this mean that blacks who do not post their LSAT score on LSN will avoid harassment? Could you please explain?

Any explanation is, at best, probable (nothing seems definite). And the things you inferred do not follow. But, in all honesty, I have the slightest idea. I would imagine that there are a variety of factors...but i thought all this talk of numbers ended after getting in? that's a nice way of saying i don't really feel like speculating; sorry dude.
With the number 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Greg Oden!

(the Trailblazers have been blessed from God)

1LCorvo

• 25,000,754 Ways to Break A Person's Neck S.Segal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »
I'll answer the question! Why does it matter what their LSAT scores are to us? After suffering through the test, and talking to lawyers who didn't do well on their LSAT, I really don't believe the LSAT measures anything other than your mental pain threshold.

But if this is just another one of those "mine is bigger than yours contests", I don't have the right equipment to compete.

Its not supposed to be a competition thing, disclosing one's score is a way of providing guidance to future applicants (the whole reason LSN exists in the first place).  However thanks to the comment feature some people turn it into a forum for anti-AA diatribes leaving a number of AA benefactors reluctant to post their scores.   

prelaw200,
much respect for Gordon Gekko
"anything worth doing is worth doing for money"
With the number 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Greg Oden!

(the Trailblazers have been blessed from God)

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:34 PM »
To the OP,

If your question was truly for a research paper on the feelings of African Americans and their reasoning for not posting their LSAT score, I would first have to question why this paper is of merit.  Seeing that you can only generalize to those students on LSN and LSD it doesn't seem like a very representative sample.  Secondly,  by stating your position on this site, has it ever occurred to you that you might bias your already representative sample?  Finally, chosing to draw your sample from a discussion board on affirmative action not only biases those already skewed and unrepresentative results that you found, but would certainly indicate to your sample that you have already made up your mind on this issue.  Finally, despite having the worst sample I have ever seen, how could you possibly ever confirm the people you are sampling are even of the race that they say they are.

With that being said, why don't you come out and just post your gripe with affirmative action.  If you want a real sample, then why don't you go to grad school and take some classes in survey design and research methods.  If you want to post your gripe, then just do it.  By the way, I am a white male so you don't have to jump to conclusions, but I guess you wouldn't know anyway would you!
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »
To the OP,

If your question was truly for a research paper on the feelings of African Americans and their reasoning for not posting their LSAT score, I would first have to question why this paper is of merit.  Seeing that you can only generalize to those students on LSN and LSD it doesn't seem like a very representative sample.  Secondly,  by stating your position on this site, has it ever occurred to you that you might bias your already representative sample?  Finally, chosing to draw your sample from a discussion board on affirmative action not only biases those already skewed and unrepresentative results that you found, but would certainly indicate to your sample that you have already made up your mind on this issue.  Finally, despite having the worst sample I have ever seen, how could you possibly ever confirm the people you are sampling are even of the race that they say they are.

With that being said, why don't you come out and just post your gripe with affirmative action.  If you want a real sample, then why don't you go to grad school and take some classes in survey design and research methods.  If you want to post your gripe, then just do it.  By the way, I am a white male so you don't have to jump to conclusions, but I guess you wouldn't know anyway would you!

How could I find a better sample? Do you know of another public site where large numbers of individuals share information about their law school admissions statistics? How could I compare the willingness (or unwillingness) of racial groups to share their LSAT score without examining a forum where such behaviors are revealed? Are you suggested that asking someone whether they would feel comfortable revealing their LSAT score is more accurate than examining if they actually do it?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 07:29:54 PM »
Yes, folks.  Segundo is that dumb.

Why do you say that?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 07:33:43 PM »
I ain't no special ed teacher.  Figure it out.

You made a grammatical mistake. It should read "I'm not a special ed teacher"
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
Oh, snap! Called out!

:D

::reaches for Strunk & White::

Did you know that there's a new one featuring illustrations by Maira Kalman of Max (and Pete, and the New Yorker) fame?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »
Oh, snap! Called out!

:D

::reaches for Strunk & White::

Did you know that there's a new one featuring illustrations by Maira Kalman of Max (and Pete, and the New Yorker) fame?

I did not. Is it good?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)