Law School Discussion

Have not done FAFSA yet- have some questions

JTG

• View Profile
Have not done FAFSA yet- have some questions
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »
It will be completed and in by end of March. Is this too late? I do not expect to qualify for anything but the federal unsubsidized loans and private ones. maybe some federal subsidized if i am lucky.

I am 22 and will be graduating college this May with a bachelor's degree. My parents paid for my college. They could probably afford law school as well but I'd like to handle the burden myself. Do I have to have them fill it out with their info or do I need to need to have my parents fill out sections on it with their relevant financial data? Am I considered independent for purposes of law school financing or no?

Thanks.

h2xblive

Re: Have not done FAFSA yet- have some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »
It will be completed and in by end of March. Is this too late? I do not expect to qualify for anything but the federal unsubsidized loans and private ones. maybe some federal subsidized if i am lucky.

I am 22 and will be graduating college this May with a bachelor's degree. My parents paid for my college. They could probably afford law school as well but I'd like to handle the burden myself. Do I have to have them fill it out with their info or do I need to need to have my parents fill out sections on it with their relevant financial data? Am I considered independent for purposes of law school financing or no?

Thanks.

For some schools, yes. (according to their due dates, at least)

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »
gotcha. anything about the parent/dependent situation?

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »
gotcha. anything about the parent/dependent situation?

Since law school is graduate school, you don't need your parents' financial information for the FAFSA.  You might need it for other financial aid forms, though.

Also, there will be a section on the FAFSA that asks you about bills being paid on your behalf - that will include your parents paying for your tuition.

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »
Does anyone know whether schools usually don't give any consideration to apps filled out after the deadline? Or do they cut you some slack?

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:38:27 PM »
Does anyone know whether schools usually don't give any consideration to apps filled out after the deadline? Or do they cut you some slack?

I think they still consider you for loans but don't consider you for scholarships/grants.  Not sure though, of course... 8)

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:04 AM »
Usually if you don't get it in by the deadline, it means they don't guarantee a response on your application before the initial deposit at the school is due, but it doesn't mean no financial aid. If you're set on going to a given school, or don't mind paying deposits at multiple schools until they get a financial aid package, it's less of a concern. But yea, get it in ASAP as the grants are limited and first-come first-serve.