Law School Discussion

Long-distance relationship during law school

mentalpatient

• WUCL 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Long-distance relationship during law school
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 12:02:02 PM »
Hey OP,

I will be in the same situation as you.  I will be away from my girl friend from August in a 3 hrs driving distance.  She understands that I will be extremely busy during my first year and will visit me once a month on the weekend.  Since she is also a student, I told her she can bring study materials so we can spend at least some time studying togethehr.  Good thing there is a train station right next to my future school campus so it will be easy for her to come and go. 

Maybe I was not thinking with my brain but with something else but she and I recently started dating.  It was unstoppable.  But I am glad she's with me now and am sure we'll work something out while being away for school.  Good luck to you with your girl.

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
i could never do a long distance relationship myself (well, unless the person didn't mind my sleeping w/other people when i didn't see them, but most people won't go for that), but i think it is amazing that you are  in such a great relationship. it sounds like it might be hard but if it works out, the payoff would be huge. good luck!

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »
Look into train stations around the school. My SO even considered getting a year round Amtrak pass because driving to see me took up almost half of the weekend (which means valuable study time). I am a firm believer that you can have a happy, healthy relationship and a fulfillig career. Best wishes to all of you trying to make your relationships last this upcoming fall.

By the way banana I love your tar :D

Oddibemcd

• Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
I think you should post this on XOXO for some views from the other side of the fence. It sounds like you got your *&^% together, this girl...not so much. Furthermore, if she has a 1 yo kid that isn't yours, how long have you been with her? How well do you know her? Can you trust her when you are supposed to be studying that she isn't out? What does she do? It sounds like she still lives with her folks. Be careful man, this girl may have heard law school and just pictured what "could be."
Relationships are great and all, but don't sacrifice yourself and what you want to accomplish.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 03:19:58 PM »
Allow me to illustrate some XOXO posts so OP doesn't need to post this:

"She's a ho-bag gold digger."
"What a loser.  Has a kid, but can't move out of the house?"
"All the female dog wants is your money."
"That female dog is TTT."
"The kid's dad probably knew better than to stay with her."
"She probably bangs every guy she sees, more so since you'll be out of the picture most of the time."

Ad infinitum. 

Oddibemcd

• Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »

Edit: is she cheerful?

Cheerful enough to have a kid. Seriously, he's been seeing her for less than a year and is talking about marriage after he gets out of law school. I have to wonder how many other girls he's been with to say this about a girl who has some baggage. I also am curious about the demands that she is putting on him. Is the distance a big deal to her? Is she pushing him to stay within reach? I would need more information (ages for one thing, school for another) for this to be copacetic if the OP was a friend of mine. Otherwise I'd probably try to talk him out of it.

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »

Cheerful enough to have a kid. Seriously, he's been seeing her for less than a year and is talking about marriage after he gets out of law school. I have to wonder how many other girls he's been with to say this about a girl who has some baggage. I also am curious about the demands that she is putting on him. Is the distance a big deal to her? Is she pushing him to stay within reach? I would need more information (ages for one thing, school for another) for this to be copacetic if the OP was a friend of mine. Otherwise I'd probably try to talk him out of it.

Don't know that and, besides, he's the one worrying about visiting.  Furthermore, it seems that he's sufficiently self-interested, if you read OP's comments.

Oddibemcd

• Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »

Don't know that and, besides, he's the one worrying about visiting.  Furthermore, it seems that he's sufficiently self-interested, if you read OP's comments.

One year old kid that's not his. I doubt he would have stuck with her if he was seeing her before she got knocked up, so I don't think they have been together more than a year. I could be wrong, but no clarification has been given.

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 03:56:04 PM »

One year old kid that's not his. I doubt he would have stuck with her if he was seeing her before she got knocked up, so I don't think they have been together more than a year. I could be wrong, but no clarification has been given.

Up to and including 1 year, 9 months, theoretically.

Oddibemcd

• Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »

Up to and including 1 year, 9 months, theoretically.

In a perfect world, I'd give you this. However, I don't think that too many people are lining up to be with a girl as she starts to develop. Furthermore, this would imply that she got pregnant as a result of a one night stand or broke up with a BF immediately after conception. Neither of these would speak highly of her character. I tend to think that she and the OP met when the kid was four to six months old and have been seeing each other for six to eight months. If he had been around since the kid was born, he would already be Dad. I just want to point out that basing the rest of your life around someone you haven't known for a year is a risky proposition at best.