Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gengis and tj.'s Mixtape Emporium and Swap Meet  (Read 8060 times)

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Gengis and tj.'s Mixtape Emporium and Swap Meet
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »
Gengis' Mixtape Emporium

The Background:

Ok so, Strad was asking for some musical recommendations, and, since both J and Lily have threads that have done that and done it well in recent memory, I thought I'd change it up a bit.

The Breakdown:

To my mind, the easiest way to become exposed to a number of new bands or varieties of music is via the mighty mixtape (mix cd, etc.), which varies from a playlist in a myriad of ways. 

1) Mixtapes are specific.  The songs were selected particularly, edited, ordered and reordered until they create a cohesive whole. 

2) Mixtapes are short.  One blank CD, or roughly 80 minutes of music.  Max.  Two companion CDs could work, but they need to be billed and crafted as such.

3) Mixtapes are themed, generally beyond a generic mood.  This may be a bit anal, but I feel that, for example, a "happy music" cd lacks enough specificity of purpose or ideas to constitute a mixtape.  It's the tangible difference between "sex music" and "Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By".  Which brings us to . . .

4) Mixtapes are titled (at least in this Emporium).  This really could just be me, but I love interesting, evocative titles for mixes.

The Obvious Rules:

Don't plagiarize people's mixtapes  - that's just uncool.  Assemble and burn at your will, but acknowledge other people's work.  It's not like anyone here would ever know if you did, but I know it generally takes me 84765384653865 days to really hammer out a mix I'm happy with, and I dang well like to have credit where credit is due. 

Do give at least the title of the song and the artist - other people should, I think, be able to recreate the mix from the info provided.

Don't just lurk and never submit a mix. 

tj.'s Swap Meet

The Concept:

This can sorta go a couple of ways . . .

1) See a mix you like?  Know there's no way in hell you're gonna find that obscure track?  Mostly 'cause you're lazy? Swap!  CD exchange is good for the soul.

2) Want a mix?  Lack the wherewithal, time, or appropriate library to put it together?  Or just want a taste of what someone else will come up with for the same theme?  Swap!  You give them a style request, and they give you one.  You both make CDs for the other (not forgetting of course, to stop by the Emporium and inscribe the tracklist for posterity and us . . . mostly us) and them slap those puppies in the mail.

And feel free to talk music in here y'all - that's how mixtapes are born!  Happy Mixing!!
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

GCoop

Re: Gengiswump's Mixtape Emporium
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:36:14 PM »
Keepin Up With The Joneses

1.  Fred Jones Part 2, Ben Folds w/ John McCrea, Ben Folds Live Album
2.  Me and Mrs. Jones, Billy Paul, Me and Mrs. Jones: The Best of Billy Paul
3.  Casey Jones, Johnny Cash, Blood Sweat and Tears
4.  Crackity Jones, Pixies, Hey - Pixies Live! Norfolk, VA 12/6/2004
5.  Mr. Jones (VH1 Storytellers), Counting Crows, Across a Wire - Live in New York
6.  What Am I to You, Norah Jones, Feels Like Home
7.  Janie Jones, The Clash, The Clash (U.K.)
8.  What's New Pussycat?, Tom Jones, 20th Century Masters - Millennium Collection
9.  Mr. Jones, Talking Heads, Naked
10.  Cigarette, Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen
11.  Ballad of a Thin Man, Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:34:33 AM »
Dammit. I made a thread for this a week or so ago, and nothing.

You're all primates. Except for Miss P.

>:(

Ahem.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,82855.msg2013492.html#msg2013492
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »
Dammit. I made a thread for this a week or so ago, and nothing.

You're all primates. Except for Miss P.

>:(

Ahem.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,82855.msg2013492.html#msg2013492

Ok, hold on, I'm gonna change the title so we can do all of this in one place.

I said it there, but I'll say it here:  I was just "ahem"ing being (unfairly) called a primate.   :)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: Gengis and tj.'s Mixtape Emporium and Swap Meet
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »
This thread is AMAZING.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:45:27 AM »
RUMBLE!

Between Gengis and tj!

/couldn't resist. 
//carry on.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 01:47:57 AM »
So, a bit of superfluous backstory:
This is a mix I made for an ex-girlfriend after coming home from being abroad for over a year.  I lie, I actually made it for both of us, and what I did was put together a group of songs that were what I thought was sweetly evocative of our relationship and the sort of thing I could put on and would never be sure whether the reflexive response was going to be a smile or a kind of bittersweet longing.  Obviously the response was context dependent (walking around the park behind my house in Prague while trying to forget I had very little else to think about besides missing her or doing the same walk the night before she came to visit).  Completely unrelatedly, the too-long title I typed into iTunes also had to do with the hysterical fact of having come home to find my parents had cleaned my room and found the copy of 'The Joy of Sex' that I had stolen from them when I was 12 and placed it ceremoniously in the middle of my desk.  For the hipsters among you, I make no apologies for the relative mainstreamness of the selections.

So, I present, "The Joy of Sex Was Sitting on My Desk or From Overhead the Sweetness Drives Me Crazy":

She Just Wants To Be   R.E.M.           Reveal
Past the Mission   Tori Amos   Under the Pink
Caleb Meyer           Gillian Welch   Hell Among The Yearlings
Romeo and Juliet   Indigo Girls   Rites of Passage
Carry Me Ohio           Sun Kil Moon   Ghosts Of The Great Highway
Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key   Billy Bragg & Wilco   Mermaid Avenue
Soul One           Blind Melon   Nico
Romulus                   Sufjan Stevens   Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State
Venus Stop the Train   Wilco           YHF Demos
Red Right Ankle           The Decemberists   Her Majesty the Decemberists
Oh My Sweet Carolina   Ryan Adams   Heartbreaker
Singing Softly To Me   Kings Of Convenience   Quiet Is The New Loud
Everything Means Nothing to Me   Elliott Smith   Figure 8
Everything Reminds Me of Her   Elliott Smith   Figure 8
Across The Universe (Bonus)   Rufus Wainwright   Poses
and We'll Dance           Thea Gilmore   Songs from the Gutter
Street Spirit(Fade Out) Radiohead   The Bends

/Chronic overshare off

Really, who didn't bogart their parents' copy of The Joy of Sex?

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:50:48 AM »
This is a mix I made for an ex-girlfriend after coming home from being abroad for over a year.  I lie, I actually made it for both of us, and what I did was put together a group of songs that were what I thought was sweetly evocative of our relationship and the sort of thing I could put on and would never be sure whether the reflexive response was going to be a smile or a kind of bittersweet longing.  Obviously the response was context dependent (walking around the park behind my house in Prague while trying to forget I had very little else to think about besides missing her or doing the same walk the night before she came to visit).  Completely unrelatedly, the too-long title I typed into iTunes also had to do with the hysterical fact of having come home to find my parents had cleaned my room and found the copy of 'The Joy of Sex' that I had stolen from them when I was 12 and placed it ceremoniously in the middle of my desk.  For the hipsters among you, I make no apologies for the relative mainstreamness of the selections.

So, I present, "The Joy of Sex Was Sitting on My Desk or From Overhead the Sweetness Drives Me Crazy":

Romulus                   Sufjan Stevens   Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State

/Chronic overshare off

Me.  My dad offered me their copy, but I already had my own.

At what age?

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:02:15 AM »

/Chronic overshare off

Me.  My dad offered me their copy, but I already had my own.

At what age?

Phew...

Yeah, if it had been offered at the age I found the house copy (also about 12 or so), that would have freaked me out beyond belief.  Nowadays, wouldn't faze me a bit.

As a side note, I'm partial to The Guide to Getting it On.  That was my pseudo-sorority's bible.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 02:10:05 AM »
Not precisely sure where the problem lies but I applaud your self-censorship capability...

It was something about my parents. :D

As a side note, I'm partial to The Guide to Getting it On.  That was my pseudo-sorority's bible.

I actually wrote the makers of The Guide to Getting It On a not happy letter once.

(You should go for The Big Bang - it's great.)

Eh, buying sex books when I'm not getting any is just depressing.

What was your letter about?  And why do our conversations always end up turning naughty?