Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is So Awful About Cooley?  (Read 15786 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What is So Awful About Cooley?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 12:59:34 AM »
I really am so sick of reading all of the nasty comments about Cooley on this site.  While I do realize that Cooley is not the choice of schools for many, I do realize that it is the ONLY chance for others.  In fact, I believe it is the only chance for me.  I earned my degree while on Active duty in the Air Force as an Intelligence Analsyt.  I was in the military for 10 years, and getting my degree was just a block I was trying to check.  I did not focus on grades so much because I was constantly deploying all over the world. 
When I separated from the Air Force, I really wanted to pursue my dream of becoming an attorney.  I knew I had to take the LSAT.  However, I had one last tour in Iraq to do, so I was not able to study and prepare for the LSAT and my score reflected it. 
My plan is to attend Cooley this fall, work my tail off and get the best grades I can,and then try to transfer to a school like Boston College, or University of St Louis after one year.  I will turn this so-called "negative" into a positive.  My dream is not to be a big time law firm attorney, but to serve the people working as a prosecutor somewhere. 
BOTTOM LINE: Before people make general statements about the kind of people that attend Cooley, realize that every person has a situation, and sometimes we have to take that situation and adapt. 
If there is anyone from Cooley out there, I would love to hear from you.  Please email or IM me. 
Thanks!

No one is saying Cooley STUDENTS are the problem. Rather it is the administration's policies. I have not re-read this thread but I don't recall any vitriol directed toward the students that elect to go there, their intelligence, their capacity as future lawyers, etc. One of my good friends here at UIUC is a Cooley transfer, incredibly bright kid.

It is the school itself through its policies of forced attrition of massive numbers, creating a rankings system to promote itself, etc, that draws flak.

Plenty of decent attorneys have come and will come out of Cooley, so don't take it personally.

Thanks, it's just hard not to take it a little personal when you read things like "So, how is it going to feel to graduate law school and not be able to get a job?"  Perhaps that wasn't in this exact thread, but on this site, so I just had to vent.  Good luck to you though, in whatever your endeavors are.

Retake it the LSAT, yeesh.

TITCR
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 08:45:19 AM »
I really am so sick of reading all of the nasty comments about Cooley on this site.  While I do realize that Cooley is not the choice of schools for many, I do realize that it is the ONLY chance for others.  In fact, I believe it is the only chance for me.  I earned my degree while on Active duty in the Air Force as an Intelligence Analsyt.  I was in the military for 10 years, and getting my degree was just a block I was trying to check.  I did not focus on grades so much because I was constantly deploying all over the world. 
When I separated from the Air Force, I really wanted to pursue my dream of becoming an attorney.  I knew I had to take the LSAT.  However, I had one last tour in Iraq to do, so I was not able to study and prepare for the LSAT and my score reflected it. 
My plan is to attend Cooley this fall, work my tail off and get the best grades I can,and then try to transfer to a school like Boston College, or University of St Louis after one year.  I will turn this so-called "negative" into a positive.  My dream is not to be a big time law firm attorney, but to serve the people working as a prosecutor somewhere. 
BOTTOM LINE: Before people make general statements about the kind of people that attend Cooley, realize that every person has a situation, and sometimes we have to take that situation and adapt. 
If there is anyone from Cooley out there, I would love to hear from you.  Please email or IM me. 
Thanks!

As someone who served our country for 10 years (thank you!), I dare say you deserve admittance into a better law school. Good luck retaking the LSAT, and best wishes, regardless.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Swibbles

• Sr. Citizen
  • Never forget Benefactor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »
DJ- Thank you for your service.  Best of luck.

On an unrelated note, I thought it was official that all Cooley-bashing would henceforth be replaced with Regents(aka CBN School of Law)-bashing?
Quote from: Saxby Rogers II
What's Valtrex for?

Herpes, I believe.

Not that, I, uh, know that.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 08:54:16 AM »
Thanks!

No one is saying Cooley STUDENTS are the problem. Rather it is the administration's policies. I have not re-read this thread but I don't recall any vitriol directed toward the students that elect to go there, their intelligence, their capacity as future lawyers, etc. One of my good friends here at UIUC is a Cooley transfer, incredibly bright kid.

It is the school itself through its policies of forced attrition of massive numbers, creating a rankings system to promote itself, etc, that draws flak.

Plenty of decent attorneys have come and will come out of Cooley, so don't take it personally.

Thanks, it's just hard not to take it a little personal when you read things like "So, how is it going to feel to graduate law school and not be able to get a job?"  Perhaps that wasn't in this exact thread, but on this site, so I just had to vent.  Good luck to you though, in whatever your endeavors are.

Don't worry about what other people say; they missed the day in LSAT class (which mommy and daddy paid for I might add) where they discussed generalizations. Furthermore, nobody can predict what YOUR job prospects will be given YOUR propensity for hard work, dedication, etc.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
um...they rank themselves in like the top 14...Creating your own rankings and then ranking yourself makes you a target. There is an additional sentiment that Cooley admits students that they know are not law school material and admit them to generate a quick buck. Whether or not this is true is debatable (although as mentioned below, it is difficult to stay in Cooley).

That being said, I find the comments about Cooley students somewhat insulting. Cooley students have had prestigious feeder clerkships, are partners in law firms across the country, are members of Congress and are routinely leaders in business and politics in Michigan. Kids that graduate from Cooley, imo, are some of the most mentally tough students out there. They know going in that like 40% of the class gets kicked out after the first year, so essentially only the strong survive.  The competition has to be fierce and those that do make it know that they have accomplished something real. Cooley is ABA accredited and I think that the vast majority of its graduates end up being competent and productive attorneys. I think that is probably the most important thing.
YLS c/o 2009

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »
Also it probably doesn't help that you don't have to have a bachelors to attend

WOW, that really shocked me.  I thought it was an ABA requirement.  It seems that in Michigan you don't need it though, you do need an associates or 60-90 credits toward a bachelors though.  At least it isn't as bad as some of these online schools that don't even require you to have a GED to apply for a PhD program.

a number of schools have what they call a 3+3 program, or something like that, where they accept (probably brilliant) applicants with high lsats and no undergrad degree.

however, it's like going to the pros right out of high school - doesnt happen that often.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »
Thanks!

Don't worry about what other people say; they missed the day in LSAT class (which mommy and daddy paid for I might add) where they discussed generalizations. Furthermore, nobody can predict what YOUR job prospects will be given YOUR propensity for hard work, dedication, etc.

Can you say irony?  You know what that is, right?  Basically, it's when you accuse Coolie-haters of making generalizations, and then make a sweeping generalization yourself.  Not everyone going to a good school had mommy and daddy to help us out.  Some of us got there on that "propensity for hard work" you talk about.  Wow...  just, wow. :P

EDIT: Toned down my response a little, getting soft in my old age.  I guess I just don't get this blanket assumption by a lot of T4 folks that the rest of us somehow look down on you, or whatever.  It seems a lot of times like people are just looking for an axe to grind.  I think you'll find most times on this board, that no one really "cares" where you go.  No one in their right mind is going to think you're any lesser or better a human being for going to Coolie, or FIU, or Yale, or Harvard.  But if you ask, how will my prospects be coming from Coolie rather than a Tier 1/2 school, you will get an honest response: It is hard, but not impossible, to succeed at those schools.  If a re-take or a transfer out after your first year are options you're willing to consider, you should look into it.  It's not an attack on you or your abilities, rather, it's just honest advice about the realities of the relative positions of schools and career prospects.  When someone says "good luck getting a job graduating from Coolie", true, they could put it a lot less flippantly, but you have to acknowledge that this task is generally a little more difficult than it would be at some other schools.  Some of what people will have to say is just unpleasant truth.
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

djdvine

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - dj_dvine
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
Thanks!

As someone who served our country for 10 years (thank you!), I dare say you deserve admittance into a better law school. Good luck retaking the LSAT, and best wishes, regardless.

Thanks for the kind words!  I am going to try my hardest wherever I end up.  That is what has been instilled in me for the past decade.  IF I don't do well, it won't be becaue I didn't work at it.
Again, thank you so much!

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »
Thanks!

Can you say irony?  You know what that is, right?  Basically, it's when you accuse Coolie-haters of making generalizations, and then make a sweeping generalization yourself.  Not everyone going to a good school had mommy and daddy to help us out.  Some of us got there on that "propensity for hard work" you talk about.  Wow...  just, wow. :P

EDIT: Toned down my response a little, getting soft in my old age.  I guess I just don't get this blanket assumption by a lot of T4 folks that the rest of us somehow look down on you, or whatever.  It seems a lot of times like people are just looking for an axe to grind.  I think you'll find most times on this board, that no one really "cares" where you go.  No one in their right mind is going to think you're any lesser or better a human being for going to Coolie, or FIU, or Yale, or Harvard.  But if you ask, how will my prospects be coming from Coolie rather than a Tier 1/2 school, you will get an honest response: It is hard, but not impossible, to succeed at those schools.  If a re-take or a transfer out after your first year are options you're willing to consider, you should look into it.  It's not an attack on you or your abilities, rather, it's just honest advice about the realities of the relative positions of schools and career prospects.  When someone says "good luck getting a job graduating from Coolie", true, they could put it a lot less flippantly, but you have to acknowledge that this task is generally a little more difficult than it would be at some other schools.  Some of what people will have to say is just unpleasant truth.

You do make a good point.  Look, I realize that if I go to an employer and tell them I went to Cooley Law School, while another possible applicant went to NYU, or even Texas Law Schools, I automatically am at an advantage.  Each person will just have to make up for the poor reputation in other ways (character, dedication, work-ethic, etc.).  I will say this: It is up to each Cooley grad to better that reputation out there in the "real world" for us that are bringing up the rear. 
Thanks for your thoughts!

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
DJ- Thank you for your service.  Best of luck.

On an unrelated note, I thought it was official that all Cooley-bashing would henceforth be replaced with Regents(aka CBN School of Law)-bashing?

Thanks for the words!
Ya...Regents has been getting quite a bit of slack lately, especially since the whole DOJ issue with the U.S. Attorneys.  Turns out, there are many Regent graduates in the Federal government.  I don't know any, but I hear they are all over the place...interesting.