Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is So Awful About Cooley?  (Read 15474 times)

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is So Awful About Cooley?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »

Maybe a system like the US military has for Navy pilots or special forces.

You don't have to pay $30,000 to go to Ranger school though...you get paid.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

h2xblive

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »

Maybe a system like the US military has for Navy pilots or special forces.

You don't have to pay $30,000 to go to Ranger school though...you get paid.

True, but someone with a 145 LSAT can make the decision whether it's worth paying the tuition for a JD degree, not the school.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
I had a friend who went to Cooley before transferring to my school. They're basically ripoff artists. They make their curves ridiculously low, admit a ton of people, then end up flunking a bunch of people out. I'd bet only a third of an incoming class actually graduates from Cooley, with some transferring out and many flunking out. Also, he said that during 1L finals, they had back to back to back finals on three days. At most other schools, they give you three days in between finals.

Also know a guy who transferred from Florida Coastal. He said he was lured in by the "scholarships" they offer everyone. Then they make their curve ridiculously low as well. He told me that they basically fail out a third of their incoming class after their 1L year, and then fail out a third of the 2L class. He had below a 3.0 and was in the top 20% of his class

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 10:05:23 AM »
I always thought “cooley” (the word not necessarily the school) was a euphemism for a person’s ass. At least that’s what my mama called it.  ;D :D ;D :D ;D
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

djdvine

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - dj_dvine
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
I really am so sick of reading all of the nasty comments about Cooley on this site.  While I do realize that Cooley is not the choice of schools for many, I do realize that it is the ONLY chance for others.  In fact, I believe it is the only chance for me.  I earned my degree while on Active duty in the Air Force as an Intelligence Analsyt.  I was in the military for 10 years, and getting my degree was just a block I was trying to check.  I did not focus on grades so much because I was constantly deploying all over the world. 
When I separated from the Air Force, I really wanted to pursue my dream of becoming an attorney.  I knew I had to take the LSAT.  However, I had one last tour in Iraq to do, so I was not able to study and prepare for the LSAT and my score reflected it. 
My plan is to attend Cooley this fall, work my tail off and get the best grades I can,and then try to transfer to a school like Boston College, or University of St Louis after one year.  I will turn this so-called "negative" into a positive.  My dream is not to be a big time law firm attorney, but to serve the people working as a prosecutor somewhere. 
BOTTOM LINE: Before people make general statements about the kind of people that attend Cooley, realize that every person has a situation, and sometimes we have to take that situation and adapt. 
If there is anyone from Cooley out there, I would love to hear from you.  Please email or IM me. 
Thanks!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:04 PM »
I really am so sick of reading all of the nasty comments about Cooley on this site.  While I do realize that Cooley is not the choice of schools for many, I do realize that it is the ONLY chance for others.  In fact, I believe it is the only chance for me.  I earned my degree while on Active duty in the Air Force as an Intelligence Analsyt.  I was in the military for 10 years, and getting my degree was just a block I was trying to check.  I did not focus on grades so much because I was constantly deploying all over the world. 
When I separated from the Air Force, I really wanted to pursue my dream of becoming an attorney.  I knew I had to take the LSAT.  However, I had one last tour in Iraq to do, so I was not able to study and prepare for the LSAT and my score reflected it. 
My plan is to attend Cooley this fall, work my tail off and get the best grades I can,and then try to transfer to a school like Boston College, or University of St Louis after one year.  I will turn this so-called "negative" into a positive.  My dream is not to be a big time law firm attorney, but to serve the people working as a prosecutor somewhere. 
BOTTOM LINE: Before people make general statements about the kind of people that attend Cooley, realize that every person has a situation, and sometimes we have to take that situation and adapt. 
If there is anyone from Cooley out there, I would love to hear from you.  Please email or IM me. 
Thanks!

No one is saying Cooley STUDENTS are the problem. Rather it is the administration's policies. I have not re-read this thread but I don't recall any vitriol directed toward the students that elect to go there, their intelligence, their capacity as future lawyers, etc. One of my good friends here at UIUC is a Cooley transfer, incredibly bright kid.

It is the school itself through its policies of forced attrition of massive numbers, creating a rankings system to promote itself, etc, that draws flak.

Plenty of decent attorneys have come and will come out of Cooley, so don't take it personally.
Air Force JAG Corps

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
Thanks!

No one is saying Cooley STUDENTS are the problem. Rather it is the administration's policies. I have not re-read this thread but I don't recall any vitriol directed toward the students that elect to go there, their intelligence, their capacity as future lawyers, etc. One of my good friends here at UIUC is a Cooley transfer, incredibly bright kid.

It is the school itself through its policies of forced attrition of massive numbers, creating a rankings system to promote itself, etc, that draws flak.

Plenty of decent attorneys have come and will come out of Cooley, so don't take it personally.

Thanks, it's just hard not to take it a little personal when you read things like "So, how is it going to feel to graduate law school and not be able to get a job?"  Perhaps that wasn't in this exact thread, but on this site, so I just had to vent.  Good luck to you though, in whatever your endeavors are.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »
Thanks!

Thanks, it's just hard not to take it a little personal when you read things like "So, how is it going to feel to graduate law school and not be able to get a job?"  Perhaps that wasn't in this exact thread, but on this site, so I just had to vent.  Good luck to you though, in whatever your endeavors are.

Likewise. I'm headed to AF JAG, so, a bit of an inverse of your career path.

Air Force JAG Corps

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
Thanks!

Likewise. I'm headed to AF JAG, so, a bit of an inverse of your career path.

WOW!  That's great news, good luck with that.  I think you'll enjoy it.  You can practice all kinds of different types of law, depending on what base you're at.  If you have any "Air Force" questions, let me know.

Actually, I have decided to re-take my LSAT this June.  Cooley said that if I scored just 6 points more then I would qualify for some scholarships. Also, if I do really well, then I just may sit out a year and try to get into a better school altogether.  Time to hit the books!

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 12:47:43 AM »
Thanks!

Retake it the LSAT, yeesh.