Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools discouraging part time attendance?  (Read 734 times)

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
Schools discouraging part time attendance?
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
Okay, here's the situation that I am facing. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar:

I applied and got accepted to the part time program of several T2 schools within a commutable range of my life/job.  I have pretty much decided 99% that I am going to accept one of the offers and have begun to rearrange my life (got a new apartment between school and work, began making arrangements with my job to reduce my hours by 50% in September, reducing my life expenses like crazy to account for the loss of income) and have contacted the admissions office several times to get more information about how to send in seat deposits, etc.

Yesterday, I receive an email from the Dean of Admissions offering me acceptance to the full time program and a (small but generous given my numbers) scholarship offer.  When I emailed back to ask if the scholarship offer was still on the table if I went part time, I basically got a reply of no, with a list of reasons why the part time program is a bad idea. The email basically insinuated that it would be unwise to enter the part time program and try to continue working part time, a plan that I had been assuming all along was fundamental to the purpose of having a part time program.  Most troubling was the warning that the schedule of classes for a PT law student would "make it difficult to find a block of hours for employment."

I'm not prone to the kind of panic that many over there on the traditional students board seem to exhibit, but I must admit that I'm getting kind of nervous.  I'm starting to get the impression that this school does not really want to have part time students, and if I do decide to go this route for a littany of personal reasons (not the least of which is the ability to continue supporting myself without cost-of-living debt while in school) the school will be unsupportive and inflexible.  I sense that this is all leading to a "we told you so" if they turn out to not be very accomodating of the needs of a part time student and this interferes with my ability to succeed. 

I could use some input here.  Has anybody else that is going this route felt that schools were actively discouraging part time attendance?  Is anyone out there currently doing the law school/work combination and finding that this Dean's comments about finding blocks of time for employment to be true?  Has anyone out there decided NOT to go part time as a result of these same concerns?  Just a little insight from the community would help. I thought I had a great plan worked out but the tone of this email gives me some concerns that I may not have made a wise choice...

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Schools discouraging part time attendance?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:08:40 PM »
Just guesses...

a) the person you spoke to personally doesn't like PT and doesn't think anyone should work during LS.

More likely
b) low applications all around, the same numbers that caused many schools to extend deadlines, caused them to have less applicants for FT, thus they need you to make their numbers look good.

Either way, forget him and do what makes you happy.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

verity-seeker

• View Profile
Re: Schools discouraging part time attendance?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »

One reason, purely speculative, why they may be encouraging you to go FT is that they want your LSAT score to count for ranking, it does not count for them if you go PT. Hence no $ for PT based on LSAT score.

I was thinking the same thing. And I agree with the poster who said do what makes YOU happy.