Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stupid financial aid question  (Read 494 times)

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stupid financial aid question
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
I am trying to get through law school without taking out any loans at all. I think I come close to being able to do this, but a bit of free money would not hurt so here is my question...FAFSA is only for loans right? The only source of free money are scholarships from schools? If my goal is to not have any debt...there is no need for me to do the fafsa thing is there or does the government hand out money other than loans?
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.

yossarian22

• View Profile
Re: Stupid financial aid question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
I am trying to get through law school without taking out any loans at all. I think I come close to being able to do this, but a bit of free money would not hurt so here is my question...FAFSA is only for loans right? The only source of free money are scholarships from schools? If my goal is to not have any debt...there is no need for me to do the fafsa thing is there or does the government hand out money other than loans?

I believe that law schools can still hand out need-based grants (distinguished from merit-based scholarships) based on what you EFC is when you fill out the FAFSA.  However, if you have enough money laying around to even think about paying for school out-of-pocket, then you clearly won't meet the requirements for a need-based grant. So, I would think that the FAFSA is pretty useless for you, but I'd fill it out anyway, you can always decline the loans they offer you.
160/3.95 | LSN