Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can't bring SO to scholarship reception - bad etiquette?  (Read 1398 times)

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Can't bring SO to scholarship reception - bad etiquette?
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »
I am married, and one of my schools asked that I not bring my husband with me to a scholarship recipients' dinner. I kinda feel like that's bad etiquette on their part. I know it's expensive to feed a lot of people, but surely they can afford it. Is this a common response? To me, it makes the school seem much less family-friendly...

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can't bring SO to scholarship reception - bad etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »
I just don't think it's that big a deal.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  Maybe the venue for the meal can only handle so many people.  Maybe they want it to be a more serious event and less of a social event.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
It's an event for the law school and the students, not the student's guests. There will be plenty of social opps to bring your SO to later on.
Vanderbilt 2010

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:12:17 AM »
I am married, and one of my schools asked that I not bring my husband with me to a scholarship recipients' dinner. I kinda feel like that's bad etiquette on their part. I know it's expensive to feed a lot of people, but surely they can afford it. Is this a common response? To me, it makes the school seem much less family-friendly...

Well I don't know if this is common or not. But I agree with juliemccoy. There are so many social events at law schools that I wouln't even worry about this one. Maybe they just intend it for students only for a reason.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »
I think it is bad etiquette, but probably not indicative of any hostility towards married students.  We can rationalize why they decided to say "you and only you may attend," but if they are trying to woo you, it sounds like they have not done a particularly good job.

What school is this? 

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »
Penn State

Bah - who needs em?  You should have really good scholarship offers from your other schools, anyway. 

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:44:28 AM »
Penn State

I don't see an issue with them not allowing SO at such an event.

That said, with a 166 and 4.11, why are you even worried about Penn State?  You can go to farrrr better schools.
USD 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I am making a non-issue into an issue. In response to Yanksfan, I'm largely leaning towards Penn State due to geography. While I would love to accept the awesome scholarship offer I got from W&L, my husband is not willing to move to VA and the cost of maintaining two households would negate almost all of the price difference.

I figured it had something to do with that.  Oh well.  You should definitely send Penn State your scholarship offer from other schools to see if they will match them.
USD 2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »
I figured it had something to do with that.  Oh well.  You should definitely send Penn State your scholarship offer from other schools to see if they will match them.

I'm guessing she's already got a full ride, no?

drv208

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »
I think that's terribly bad etiquette on behalf of the law school. And strange that they expressly forbade it. I wouldn't go.