Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Great advice for pre-law students  (Read 593 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Great advice for pre-law students
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:21:03 AM »
Check this out: http://3lepiphany.typepad.com/3l_epiphany/2006/05/advice_for_inco.html

There is some great advice here!

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Great advice for pre-law students
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:00:53 PM »
The one that seemed a bit off is:

"For studying, just don't"

Even on an open-book exam, I think that not studying and relying on a well-written outline even on an open-book exam could turn out disastrous...but I guess that depends on personal style

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »
I had an open book exam last semester.  I never even had time to open the book.  I relied on my outline entirely.  You simply don't have time to read stuff in your casebook during an exam.  Unlike undergrad where books have charts, graphs and pictures, these are usually just straight caselaw, which is impossible to read under time pressure. 

The not studying comment I am sure was meant to be satirical.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:35:01 PM »
The not studying comment I am sure was meant to be satirical.

Well then, skepticism rescinded

Overall good read though, I enjoyed it

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
I think it gives 0L's some idea of the great variety of opinions, methods and habits that law students use to get themselves through the experience.  There is no right answer to what to do in law school, other than "work smart, don't go crazy and remember that it's over quickly"

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:42:04 PM »
I think it gives 0L's some idea of the great variety of opinions, methods and habits that law students use to get themselves through the experience.  There is no right answer to what to do in law school, other than "work smart, don't go crazy and remember that it's over quickly"

Yup, I feel like it's probably easy to get caught up in how everyone else is studying and ignore what really works best for you.  I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to reduce the paranoia that I'm not doing things right

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
Exactly!  I went through the same thing last semester.  There was an infamous gunner in my small section who would say stuff like, "you didn't start outlining yet?  Oh my god!" or "I am 2 weeks ahead in Torts reading".  It drove me nuts.  Once I learned to ignore that crap, I started feeling better about school and my own abilities.