Law School Discussion

Yup, LSDAS has now broken a record 3.67------>3.06

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: Yup, LSDAS has now broken a record 3.67------>3.06
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 01:04:48 AM »
It still is all about the numbers.  I just need a way to sneak past their little auto deny system, and I will die trying.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 01:12:58 AM »
Now if only I had those numbers.  My report came back with a 2.06 Degree GPA, and
a cum. 2.16.  My school GPA was 2.67 my school does average grades that are retaken.  (F's U's etc.)  I don't care, not much difference to an adcomm anyway, 2.67 or 2.06, it doesn't really matter when you start that low. 

I read somebody had set up a spreadsheet to look to see what LSDAS actually did to my transcripts?  Can somebody send that template if you still have it?  I really have to go read the whole process, and I will, but it's time consuming.  I'm pretty sure they are correct, not much I can do except brag about the fact that *I* officially own the lowest GPA of anyone applying to ABA schools.  ;D

I just sent you the e-mail, swifty.  Sorry about the GPA; that's a total bummer.  Hopefully the age of those grades lessens the pain quite a bit...  Best of luck!  :)

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 01:42:19 AM »
Thanks, Pookie, I don't know what you sent tho.  I haven't received anything.
If you could try one more time use this address:  yelbag@earthlink.net

TIA

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 01:45:58 AM »
Pookie, I got it the second time around, weird huh?  Thanks!

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 01:47:06 AM »
Pookie, I got it the second time around, weird huh? Thanks!

Oops, I saw that too late.  You're getting it again, at your earthlink account.  :)

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004, 04:14:18 AM »
Sorry for the uniniated, but how does your gpa fall when they calculate it??? I don't get it :P

Matt

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2004, 05:51:17 AM »
It may drop on LSAC because some schools will not count a grade if you retake the class.  So for instance, I take chaotic mathematics and fail the first time.  Retake and make an A.  My school would count only the A, but LSAC counts both, so it averages out to a C.

I went 3.19 -> 3.19.  Heh.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2004, 11:02:10 AM »
Sorry for the uniniated, but how does your gpa fall when they calculate it??? I don't get it :P

Matt

KGB's explanation, or if your school doesn't count minuses (as another poster said).  If you got a lot of A-'s, your school may count them as a 4.0, but LSAC counts them as a 3.67.  Then your GPA may drop a lot.  This would cause your GPA to drop a little bit: My school counts an A- as 3.7, but LSAC counts it as 3.67.  Not much of a difference, but I had a lot of A-'s my first two years.  Luckily, I had a bunch of A+'s too, and my school only gave me 4.0 for them, and LSAC gives 4.33.  So I ended up with a slight boost in my GPA.

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004, 07:33:39 PM »

Matt

KGB's explanation, or if your school doesn't count minuses (as another poster said).  If you got a lot of A-'s, your school may count them as a 4.0, but LSAC counts them as a 3.67.  Then your GPA may drop a lot.  This would cause your GPA to drop a little bit: My school counts an A- as 3.7, but LSAC counts it as 3.67.  Not much of a difference, but I had a lot of A-'s my first two years.  Luckily, I had a bunch of A+'s too, and my school only gave me 4.0 for them, and LSAC gives 4.33.  So I ended up with a slight boost in my GPA.

Yes, but that won't account for a drop from 2.67 to 2.06.  That's more than 1/2 a full grade.  My school DOES average repeated classes, and I don't get A+'s but the minus and plus system is used for A-'s and every other grade.  I only really think I earned an A+ in one class, so that can't be it.  One thing that is interesting is that they don't show my official transcripts.  Can you guys see that on your account?  I petitioned to have two U's (F) taken completely off my record, and they were supposed to be, but I can't check if LSDAS got the transcripts before the grades were taken off.  It's going to be really hard to figure out the LSDAS's process without seeing my grades as they see them.  I am really in a bind.  I mean, think about this for a minute, My school gave me a diploma with a 2.67 GPA, yet LSDAS says its 2.06.  So two grades I received a B
in was based soley on two profs that were (not the type to give A's, I'm serious) contested, were switched to A's.  Now let's say I didn't do that, and graduated with a 2.5 GPA, LSADS takes that and comes up with a 1.995 GPA or something like that, which in their mind, means I did not graduate.  I really wish LSDAS would have put me below 2.00 because I am sure my school would be contacting them.  That is a bad mark on their record, and even though they are a state school, their funding is partly dependent on how students do overall.  I think I'll send it to my school, and say LSDAS feels I didn't earn this diploma, so I am giving it back, and am going to the local paper to tell them what happened.  Ack.  Seriously though, do you guys get to see your transcripts on LSADS?  I also wonder if the 10 or so W's that aren't supposed to count against me if my school doesn't count them, were in fact, entered into the equation.  With a 2.67 GPA, I can at least say I was a B- student, now I am considered a straight C student.  Arghhh.  Oh well, 2.67 and 2.06 will both be auto denied at most schools, so I really need to look for away to get past that, and as I said, I will die trying!   ;)

One last intersting point is that LSDAS says I have 163 hours of course credit, yet only 124 is needed for a degree.   ???  I gotta learn to not ask so many questions in one post!   ;D

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2004, 10:24:46 PM »
First off, I was just explaining the general concept of how LSDAS could be lower than your school's GPA; I thought that's what Matt was asking.  I wouldn't even attempt to explain a 0.61 drop  :)

Secondly, no one can see their transcript on their academic summary report, so it's not just you. 

If your school has a website that allows students to look up transcripts, see if you can get onto that and check your grades that way.  This works for former students (at least at the three schools I've attended).  Otherwise, contact the school to have an unofficial copy of your transcript sent to you.

You should also call LSAC and ask what the hell happened.

Keep us posted, and good luck!  :)