Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do foreign born blacks get AA?  (Read 3757 times)

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do foreign born blacks get AA?
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
Just wondering if an immigrant from Nigeria or something who got an UG degree in the U.S. qualifies for AA. I'm asking cause there is the debate going on of blacks from america being different from those who immigrated from africa voluntarily.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Do foreign born blacks get AA?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:24:23 PM »
Just wondering if an immigrant from Nigeria or something who got an UG degree in the U.S. qualifies for AA. I'm asking cause there is the debate going on of blacks from america being different from those who immigrated from africa voluntarily.

yes. in fact, those are the blacks whom benefit the most.
YLS c/o 2009

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:05:54 AM »

Why do you say that?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »

Why do you say that?

Well I think its fairly obvious from the statistics of Black enrollment at elite schools (at least on the undergraduate and graduate level). I'm not sure about professional schools, though.

By most, I'm not suggesting that foreign born Blacks get more of a boost than African Americans. I'm only stating that the foreign born blacks usually have the academic creditials that would allow them to take advantage of affirmative action - moreso than American Blacks.
YLS c/o 2009

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:19:26 AM »

Why do you say that?

Well I think its fairly obvious from the statistics of Black enrollment at elite schools (at least on the undergraduate and graduate level). I'm not sure about professional schools, though.

By most, I'm not suggesting that foreign born Blacks get more of a boost than African Americans. I'm only stating that the foreign born blacks usually have the academic creditials that would allow them to take advantage of affirmative action - moreso than American Blacks.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that.  People tend to forget that for ever foreign born Black who is educated in the US, there are thousands (if not millions) who will never receive higher education.  Usually the foreign blacks who actually make it to the US have to have higher credentials to be able receive funding, let alone be accepted.

However, when you consider black American children of immigrants, then I would defintely that they are overrepresented in 'elite' istitutions relevant to their share of the African American population.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »

WHOM benefit the most?

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:41:37 PM »

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »

They're international students. US Schools LOVE international students. 

At my Catholic UG, it was actually easier for them to recruit kids from Africa, than it was to get black kids from Philly to come to school. In the US we had a reputation as a "white school," in Africa, it was a free education at a great Catholic School.

Not that we were overloaded with kids from Kenya, the scholarship money just wasn't there...
VIP.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »

They're international students. US Schools LOVE international students. 
At my Catholic UG, it was actually easier for them to recruit kids from Africa, than it was to get black kids from Philly to come to school. In the US we had a reputation as a "white school," in Africa, it was a free education at a great Catholic School.

Not that we were overloaded with kids from Kenya, the scholarship money just wasn't there...

Hmm, I don't think this is necessarily true.  We're more of a novelty than a recruiting priority, based on my experience and other intl kids I know. 

Just want to dispell the myth that schools are eagerly throwing money at tons of intls, because that simply isn't true. In fact, when I applied to undegrad certain schools didn't even consider international students for need based or merit scholarships.

lsn

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »

Hmm, I don't think this is necessarily true.  We're more of a novelty than a recruiting priority, based on my experience and other intl kids I know. 

Just want to dispell the myth that schools are eagerly throwing money at tons of intls, because that simply isn't true. In fact, when I applied to undegrad certain schools didn't even consider international students for need based or merit scholarships.

Why do you say that?

Hmm, not sure I agree with that.  People tend to forget that for ever foreign born Black who is educated in the US, there are thousands (if not millions) who will never receive higher education.  Usually the foreign blacks who actually make it to the US have to have higher credentials to be able receive funding, let alone be accepted.

TITCR...though I think that the OP and JB are defining "foreign-born" as those who were born elsewhere but have since acquired their citizenship or residency status.  When restricted to that group, JB's points ring true.

Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.