Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How much time did you spend writing your personal statement?

1 night
 8 (10.3%)
1 day
 3 (3.8%)
1-7 days
 19 (24.4%)
8-14 days
 16 (20.5%)
1-2 months
 18 (23.1%)
3-4 months
 11 (14.1%)
5 or more months
 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: How long did you spend on your PS?  (Read 1179 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
How long did you spend on your PS?
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »
I'm just curious about how long people spent writing their personal statements. I know I only spent one day, and I did about 75% of it during that night (I'm making an allowance of not including time spent on brush ups made for individual schools). I wonder how much of an anomaly I am.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How long did you spend on your PS?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »
I took the LSAT in June. Basically I worked on all my essays from the day after the LSAT up until I sent off my first batch of apps in September. I went through about three personal statements and I don't know how many revisions. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Oddibemcd

• Sr. Citizen
  • Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:58:07 PM »
I had a flight at 7:00pm on a Friday. Started applications at 9:00am on Friday, submitted them at 5:00, including my PS and all optional essays I did. In retrospect, probably not the best idea.
Attending: Cornell
In: Cornell, G-Town, W&M(w), FSU(w), U of Cincinnati(w), Santa Clara(w)
Held: Northwestern(w)
Waitlisted: Cardozo(w), Michigan(w), Penn
Out: Chicago, Yale, NYU, Columbia

171/3.4

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
I had a flight at 7:00pm on a Friday. Started applications at 9:00am on Friday, submitted them at 5:00, including my PS and all optional essays I did. In retrospect, probably not the best idea.

Hah, you're about like me (that's one day though, not one night). I did my main optional essays the same time as doing my PS.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »

Hah, you're about like me (that's one day though, not one night). I did my main optional essays the same time as doing my PS.

I did them all over one weekend. One night on the PS, the next morning on the addenda.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
I spent so long writing a PS that I never finished.  I gave up after two weeks and wrote the PS I used for all my apps in three days.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

DelDad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »
About two months.  Most of a month was writers block that produced nothing good.  But the feedback I got from other people on the crappy drafts led to a good draft that I refined after more people gave me feedback and as I adapted it for various schools.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:56 PM »
Depends on how it's defined, I suppose. I started writing a draft the summer of 2004... every few months, I'd revisit it or write a fresh one. By the time I got to actually applying, I had about 9 different ones, though the one I ultimately submitted I wrote in about two sittings - one to write, the other to touch up.

I was going to college part-time though, so it was a looooooooong wait to apply after realizing I wanted to go. Had to fill it with something :)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »
Started fretting about it in mid-October, and it was in the applications by late November.  Did about 3-4 drafts.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

annita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:04:45 PM »
Totally depends on how you define "spend." I started messing around with ideas in July and August. Drafted some paragraphs in October, then buckled down and wrote a full draft, had it read by two or three other people, revised, revised again, all over the course of about five days toward the end of November. Sent off three applications. Found a major typo, revised again, sent off three more applications. Made a few more tiny modifications before I sent off my last four apps in December.