Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minnesota vs. DePaul-Kent-Loyola  (Read 831 times)

Vietnow

• View Profile
Minnesota vs. DePaul-Kent-Loyola
« on: February 26, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »
Am I crazy?

I've been accepted at the University of Minnesota and as a Wisconsin resident I qualify for reduced tuition (reciprocity agreement between the states). I've also been accepted at DePaul, Kent, and Loyola with scholarships of 18,000 ; 20,000 ; and 16,000 respectively. With the scholarships it seems to be pretty much a wash financially (esp. at Kent). I want to end up practicing in Chicago (close to my family, girlfriend, always wanted to live there, etc.) and I know for sure that I don't want to do BIGLAW.

So am I crazy for considering going to a T2 school in Chicago (leaning towards Kent) vs. Minnesota? I'm also accepted at IU-Bloomington (with small scholarship) and waiting on Iowa and Illinois (although I think my chances at UIUC are slim cuz I'm out of state). Any advice? I'm really having a tough time with the decision and its starting to get to the point where I need to make some choices. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

CGEsq

• View Profile
Re: Minnesota vs. DePaul-Kent-Loyola
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:00:26 PM »
If you don't want to do biglaw, I think that Kent would be ideal with the $ they're offering.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
yes you are crazy...UMN places quite well in Chicago.  You need to bear in mind you are competing with UChicago, Northwestern and Notre Dame as well as with Illinois and the other big 10 programs, however this is about the order in which prospective employers look to hire...then they move on to T2 schools.  this is true regardless of where you want to practice.  as a rule of thumb pick the highest ranked school with the lowest price tag (plus or minus a few K) and go there...i think the choice here is clearly UMN.  Just out of curiosity why didn't you apply to UW Madison?

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:16:41 PM »
I have applied at UW but I'm currently there as an undergrad and would like a change of scenery. Seven years in one place is a long time...

skyhigh711

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
I am also a UW undergrad with similar scholarships at Kent and Loyola (didn't apply to Depaul).  I just got deferred at UMN.  Would you mind PM'ing me your numbers and if you have any advice for getting accepted at UMN?  I got into UW but I would really like to get into UMN too.

CougMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Am I crazy?

I've been accepted at the University of Minnesota and as a Wisconsin resident I qualify for reduced tuition (reciprocity agreement between the states). I've also been accepted at DePaul, Kent, and Loyola with scholarships of 18,000 ; 20,000 ; and 16,000 respectively. With the scholarships it seems to be pretty much a wash financially (esp. at Kent). I want to end up practicing in Chicago (close to my family, girlfriend, always wanted to live there, etc.) and I know for sure that I don't want to do BIGLAW.

So am I crazy for considering going to a T2 school in Chicago (leaning towards Kent) vs. Minnesota? I'm also accepted at IU-Bloomington (with small scholarship) and waiting on Iowa and Illinois (although I think my chances at UIUC are slim cuz I'm out of state). Any advice? I'm really having a tough time with the decision and its starting to get to the point where I need to make some choices. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Yes you are crazy.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »
Yeah sorry but I'm not even gonna read this thread.  Go to Minn.  Hands down.  It is such a great school, don't pass it up.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »
I agree with all the Minnesota votes. I'm at Illinois and we have a large amount of transfers from the Chicago T2s. All smart kids that did well their 1Ls but realized that the pickings were far slimmer in T2dom than they were willing to gamble with.

Minnesota also has better national pull in the event you want out of Chicago whereas D/K/L are truly Windy City law schools.

Lastly, who would turn down the chance to be a gopher? The most honest mascot since the Fighting Irish.
Air Force JAG Corps

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:23:44 PM »
Am I crazy?

Go gophers!

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:57:17 PM »
As someone who will likely end up at DePaul Kent or Loyola I recommend that you go to Minnesota. If someone from there hypothetically applied to a biglaw firm in Chicago and it was between him and someone from one of the the Chi T2's and ALL the other variables were somehow equal between them, I'd bet the Minnesota person would get the job 9 times out of 10.

But hey, if you really want to move to Chicago and you aren't a competitor for Northwestern, all three of those schools will still give you plenty of opportunities.