Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Atheist at Ole Miss... cultural misfit?  (Read 2670 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Atheist at Ole Miss... cultural misfit?
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:55:28 PM »
I'm aiming for Air Force JAG.  Tuition is of major concern.  Mississippi's cost is very cheap and they have a program that center and a journal that I'm VERY interested in. 

For the last four years I've lived in a fairly liberal Wisconsin college town, and while I embrace fiscal conservatism, socially I'm definately to the left.  I'm definately more libertarian than anything.

The way I see it, atheists are a distrusted minority anywhere, and I generally stay in the closet about it anyways.  Just how foreign is would the culture be for me down there?

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Atheist at Ole Miss... cultural misfit?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »
Keep your mouth shut and learn to enjoy grits for breakfast.  Ever watch "My Cousin Vinny"?
WVU Class of 2011

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
I'm aiming for Air Force JAG.  Tuition is of major concern.  Mississippi's cost is very cheap and they have a program that center and a journal that I'm VERY interested in. 

For the last four years I've lived in a fairly liberal Wisconsin college town, and while I embrace fiscal conservatism, socially I'm definately to the left.  I'm definately more libertarian than anything.

The way I see it, atheists are a distrusted minority anywhere, and I generally stay in the closet about it anyways.  Just how foreign is would the culture be for me down there?

I live in Memphis, which is about 20 minutes from Oxford, and know plently of people who went to Ole Miss. I really don't know much about the law school, but for the university as a whole: It takes a certain type of person to enjoy Ole Miss. From how you described yourself, you are not that person.

I am biased however, as I detest all things about Ole Miss.
I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss...

Michigan Law 2010

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
I'm an atheist who went to Texas Tech (probably similar in religious conviction) for UG and all I can say is good luck getting a date.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
  I wouldn't worry too much. I was quite the loudmouth type atheist when I was younger (still an atheist, just not as loud) and had the same problems in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, and LA as I did in Texas, Little Rock, or Nashville - no more, no less.

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
After thinking some, I would highly recommend that no one from outside of the deep south attend Ole Miss, atheist or not. You are in for one hell of a culture shock.

Michigan Law 2010

brettmsm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
explain...

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:36:49 PM »
explain...

To make it brief, if your thing is hot weather, a town with nothing to do, Jim Beam swilling frat boys and stuck up rich girls, Ole Miss is for you. Also, if you believe that a public university located in the state of Mississippi is in fact "The Harvard of the South", you will like it. Also, if you think it would be fun to spend three years in the one spot where the South is truly assbackwards. It is for you. The average football saturday involves the males waiving confederate flags and screaming "The South will rise again" and throwing empty Jim Beam bottles. The average female is wearing a $500 cocktail dress and heels, which is not very flattering once they vomit all over the front of it.

Ole Miss is everything that is wrong with the South. Generally, I drive about 90 miles an hour to get the hell out of Oxford after a visit.

Michigan Law 2010

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »
UMN '10

bella1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
Okay so I live right down the road from Oxford, and while I personally detest Ole Miss, its really not that bad.  Ole Miss has its stereotypical people yes, but like everywhere else there are tons of people that don't fit into that stereotype.  Friends of mine that go to the law school say its not half as bad as the undergrad.

Oxford is a very small town, but Memphis isn't that far away if you need something a little bigger...

For all of us that hate Ole Miss, there are a crapload of people that love it.  Best advice? Visit and make a choice for yourself.