Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke or Texas?!? HELP PLEASE!  (Read 2008 times)

UncleLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duke or Texas?!? HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
You'll get a great job coming from either school. It's dumb arguing over which approach to the cheesecake is going to yield an extra crumb or not. I say choose based on the coolness of the city. Go Longhorns!
"Method actors give you a photograph. Real actors give you an oil painting." --Charles Laughton

In: BU, GWU, Emory, UTEX
Deferred: Boalt, UPenn, Northwestern
Out: UChicago, Yale, GULC

166/3.83

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »
Either school will get you where you want to go.  But, Texas is a state that works the "Good Ol' Boy Network" and if you are practicing in TX then a degree from UT will get you at least as far as a degree from Duke any day of the week.  Plus, you get to live in Austin (which is the coolest city on earth).
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »
DUKE.  Hands down.  You will have less competition at the OCI's.  All the firms down there have PLENTY of UT alums.  They have some Duke people, too, but would definitely like to get more. 

I'm from Durham and the city does have a bad rep sometimes but it's not entirely deserved.  Feel free to ask me any questions about the place.  Admittedly, it's not as fun as Austin - but on the upside there are far fewer distractions!

Tejan

• Hook 'em!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
DUKE.  Hands down.  You will have less competition at the OCI's.  All the firms down there have PLENTY of UT alums.  They have some Duke people, too, but would definitely like to get more. 

I'm from Durham and the city does have a bad rep sometimes but it's not entirely deserved.  Feel free to ask me any questions about the place.  Admittedly, it's not as fun as Austin - but on the upside there are far fewer distractions!

Not hands down.  Hands up, with your thumb touching the middle and ring fingers, and your pinky and index extended.  Word.
Peace in the Middle East.

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »

Not hands down.  Hands up, with your thumb touching the middle and ring fingers, and your pinky and index extended.  Word.

Word.  Hook 'Em Horns.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »
Duke.  They started sending shwag so they have my vote.  I might even use their 256MB drive at another law school if I end up there.  Tacky yes, but it's practical too.

viktorvaughn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »
I'm in the same boat. It seems to me that the biggest advantage Duke has over Texas is the hiring the summer after 1L, but that doesn't seem to be important to make a decision; I doubt that UT 1Ls are working at Whataburger over the summer.

It does seem to me that when people ask me where I got in, Texas rarely gets much of a response, but Duke usually gets an "oooh," which is nice, but it's hard to base a decision on that as well. It seems to me that if you do want to work in Texas, Chicago, Harvard or Yale will have an advantage over UT, but the lower half of the T14 doesn't seem to have much of an edge. Then again, this is all based on information I've pieced together from this site, and much of it is conjecture I'm sure. But I'm really feeling the prospect of 3 more years in TX more than some layman prestige.

PS - Did Duke send out a flash drive to everyone they accepted? Or do you have to be a supercool 170+ applicant? This favoritism might be the nail in Duke's coffin for me.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 09:16:10 PM »
They sent it to everyone.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »