Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bills paid on my behalf!?  (Read 1150 times)

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
    • For the love of God, someone accept me!
bills paid on my behalf!?
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:46:24 PM »
On the FAFSA worksheet, one of the questions asks about money paid on my behalf. . . Does this include my parents paying for tuition, rent, car insurance, et cetera?  If so, this is a massive amount, none of which I will be receiving next year.  So do I have to put in that amount, and how will it effect my EFC?
tyia.

h2xblive

Re: bills paid on my behalf!?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:39:46 PM »
On the FAFSA worksheet, one of the questions asks about money paid on my behalf. . . Does this include my parents paying for tuition, rent, car insurance, et cetera?  If so, this is a massive amount, none of which I will be receiving next year.  So do I have to put in that amount, and how will it effect my EFC?
tyia.

Yes.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
tyia.

Your EFC will be higher if you include that amount, which you are supposed to include.  Then you can appeal to your school's financial aid office and with an addendum asking them to reconsider your EFC as you won't have that income while in law school.  It's the same process that anyone who's giving up a FT job will have to go through.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:10 PM »
Thank you.  I think I've messed this up the last few years, my bad.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Interesting that so many of us are so smart but we can't fill out a simple financial aid form.  LOL!

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Interesting that so many of us are so smart but we can't fill out a simple financial aid form.  LOL!

I think its because we secretly know the answers to all these questions, we're just clinging to some hope that we're not right.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »

I think its because we secretly know the answers to all these questions, we're just clinging to some hope that we're not right.

I agree!  Hilarious response though.  I needed a laugh today.

h2xblive

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »
tyia.

Erm I wouldnt be so quick to put all that stuff on there.  It sounds like you are still a dependent, they are probably claiming you as such on their taxes.   

If thats true, and Im no CPA, I dont think you need to put much/any of those things you are talking about.  If the car loan isnt in your name (or if its joint) then theres probably no need to include it, ditto anything else your parents are co-signers on.  If you are on their insurance then you certainly dont need to include that.
You might also check and make sure that this stuff isnt actually being paid for with undergraduate loans in your name.

You're probably right, but things like where your parents put money on your college account to buy food, books, supplies from the book store, etc. should be counted.  Of course, If your parents paid your tuition, that needs to be included too.

Heck, even cash gifts technically need to be included, but I was told that they were negligible and not to worry about them.

smile

• 168/3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the help.  In my case, all those things are in my name so I did include them.  It ended up being a moot point though, even with all of it my EFC was still 0.