Law School Discussion

American 2010

Re: American 2010
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
Just got back from spending the day at WCL. Have to say I was extremely impressed. The law building is fantastic.

Sat in on two classes, Constitutional Law and Criminal. The first class, Constitutional, was taught by Wermiel. The room was large, very open, with lots of light and windows. Professor Wermiel seemed casual, lecturing at first and not employing the socratic method but allowing students to volunteer answers. The result, I think, was that many students zoned out a bit. Because I sat in the back I could see everyone's laptops. Lots of ESPN.com, online Sudoku, Tetris, and even a game of WarCraft. And the class discussion centered around Roe v. Wade! With about 15 minutes left Wermiel opened up the class for student comments. He nodded a lot, not giving to much away, but it was at this time that I saw the politics of American start to come out. Works for me.

The second class, Criminal, was with Professor Jones and it rocked. Simply awesome. She was engaging, energetic, and you could tell she really enjoyed teaching. Almost zero internet usage other than an occasional IM. Jones' approach was quite a bit different from Wermiel. You could tell she enjoyed pinning students down (but good naturedly), and it made the class exciting. I shared an elevator with her after class and she said today's class had been a little unusual, that normally she pinned them down even more. If I had the chance I would jump at the opportunity to take one of her courses.

The library, while not huge, is very open and nice. Light streams in from the sky lights above and it seems like an inviting place to study.

There are definitely more females than males and plenty of diversity as well. Walking throughout the building I heard several different languages being spoken, which I loved.

The area surrounding the law school is pretty posh. I don't imagine there are two many places for students to live in the immediate vicinity, still, it's pretty to look at.

I think there was a general feeling at the school that, although below Georgetown and George Washington in the pecking order, WCL was on the way up. No one I talked to expressed much worry about debt (those that go into public interest have options re: their debt) and almost everyone mentioned they were there because of international law. I can't vouch for this but I was told by one student that if you get into the JD program then you don't have to take the GRE to get into the School of International Service. That's pretty sweet.

Hope this helps everyone considering WCL. For those of you going to ASW, have a great time, wish I could be there.

w.c.   

It is great to know you had a nice visit. If you are still in the area, PM me if you have questions about the area and I can try to help.

I took Wermiel for ConLaw my 1L year, and he is a great professor! When I had his class, I personally felt the Roe v. Wade day was one of the more boring. But, perhaps I just expected more considering the nature of the case.

In any event, I am glad you enjoyed the visit. Hope to see you around here in the future.

windycindy

• Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

It is great to know you had a nice visit. If you are still in the area, PM me if you have questions about the area and I can try to help.

I took Wermiel for ConLaw my 1L year, and he is a great professor! When I had his class, I personally felt the Roe v. Wade day was one of the more boring. But, perhaps I just expected more considering the nature of the case.

In any event, I am glad you enjoyed the visit. Hope to see you around here in the future.

Thanks, Shadow.

The big concern for me will be housing, the cost of which could make or break me.

jdhu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »

There are definitely more females than males

Pics?  Haha just kidding, thanks for the information.  I am considering American, and this provides some great insight.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2007, 11:36:46 PM »
Thank you Windy!! Did you take all those pictures you promised me??

And ... are there REALLY lots more females than males?? I'm so tired of that at my current school. :(

kates

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2007, 06:34:30 AM »
Thanks WindyCity, great write-up!

Random question - is there a particular cell phone company that gets great service at American and around that area? Or does it not really matter which one?

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »
Thanks WindyCity, great write-up!

Random question - is there a particular cell phone company that gets great service at American and around that area? Or does it not really matter which one?

Verizon is known for being the most reliable in DC.  It's the only one that gets service on the metro.

WCL02

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:32 AM »
Just got back from spending the day at WCL. Have to say I was extremely impressed. The law building is fantastic.

Sat in on two classes, Constitutional Law and Criminal. The first class, Constitutional, was taught by Wermiel. The room was large, very open, with lots of light and windows. Professor Wermiel seemed casual, lecturing at first and not employing the socratic method but allowing students to volunteer answers. The result, I think, was that many students zoned out a bit. Because I sat in the back I could see everyone's laptops. Lots of ESPN.com, online Sudoku, Tetris, and even a game of WarCraft. And the class discussion centered around Roe v. Wade! With about 15 minutes left Wermiel opened up the class for student comments. He nodded a lot, not giving to much away, but it was at this time that I saw the politics of American start to come out. Works for me.

The second class, Criminal, was with Professor Jones and it rocked. Simply awesome. She was engaging, energetic, and you could tell she really enjoyed teaching. Almost zero internet usage other than an occasional IM. Jones' approach was quite a bit different from Wermiel. You could tell she enjoyed pinning students down (but good naturedly), and it made the class exciting. I shared an elevator with her after class and she said today's class had been a little unusual, that normally she pinned them down even more. If I had the chance I would jump at the opportunity to take one of her courses.

The library, while not huge, is very open and nice. Light streams in from the sky lights above and it seems like an inviting place to study.

There are definitely more females than males and plenty of diversity as well. Walking throughout the building I heard several different languages being spoken, which I loved.

The area surrounding the law school is pretty posh. I don't imagine there are two many places for students to live in the immediate vicinity, still, it's pretty to look at.

I think there was a general feeling at the school that, although below Georgetown and George Washington in the pecking order, WCL was on the way up. No one I talked to expressed much worry about debt (those that go into public interest have options re: their debt) and almost everyone mentioned they were there because of international law. I can't vouch for this but I was told by one student that if you get into the JD program then you don't have to take the GRE to get into the School of International Service. That's pretty sweet.

Hope this helps everyone considering WCL. For those of you going to ASW, have a great time, wish I could be there.

w.c. 

Windy,

Great write up of WCL.  Wermiel's considered a mediocre prof. at AU.  You've hit the nail on the head about its selling points.  I think one of the best aspects of AU is its students. 

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »
Re finding somewhere to live, I think there's definitely something to be said for NOT living with other WCL'ers for 1L year.  I have heard that the result can be that the stress and competition just gets compounded and becomes inescapable.

HeckBoy

• give 'em heck, boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2007, 10:44:37 AM »
Wow, lots of people on WCL's waitlist here, so I'm not alone. Agh, the waiting is killer. Also the fact that we probably won't know anything until after the initial deposits are due is probably gonna kill my ability to go. Yeeesh...

WCL02

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2007, 12:00:38 PM »
Re finding somewhere to live, I think there's definitely something to be said for NOT living with other WCL'ers for 1L year.  I have heard that the result can be that the stress and competition just gets compounded and becomes inescapable.

First of all, there isn't a particular cluster of WCL students living anywhere, with the exception perhaps of the overpriced condos up the street on Mass Ave.  They may have gotten rid of graduate housing - but when I was there it was an incredible deal - really big apartments (close to 1500 sq ft), utilities included, kick ass location (with the shuttle stop right in front) and super cheap parking.