Law School Discussion

$$$ consideration and negotiation

Big Slick

• All in B!tches
    • View Profile
$$$ consideration and negotiation
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
Is anyone leaning more toward to a certain school because that certain school offered you more money than the others?

Also, is it possible to ask for more $ from certain school because the comparable school offers you a scholarship?

any ideas? 

annita

• View Profile
Re: $$$ consideration and negotiation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:10 AM »
Is anyone leaning more toward to a certain school because that certain school offered you more money than the others?

Also, is it possible to ask for more $ from certain school because the comparable school offers you a scholarship?

any ideas? 

I think a lot of people are in this position. From what I've heard, yes, it is reasonable to mention a scholarship offer from another school, if that school is of comparable quality to the one you're negotiating with. My impression is that, for instance, UT-Austin wouldn't really care if you're getting money from, say, SMU. But someplace like Baylor might, and vice versa.

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »
I'm in a similar bind.  I've gotten money from all the schools to which I was accepted.  The only downfall: the tier 4 gave me nearly a full scholarship, but I want to go to a different school (one that's teetered between tier 2 and 3 status for the past 5 years).  I don't think they're technically comparably-ranked, but since my goal is public interest, I'm still bringing up the money offer from the tier 4 to all the other schools to see if I can get any of them to budge.  We'll see how that goes.

Big Slick

• All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »
Through what mode of communication am I supposed to ask for $?  I am planning to bring this up if I get a chance during admitted student day.  Would it be better to send in letter or email?  should I call?

Has anyone been to one of these ASDs? Does one get a chance to bring this kind of issue one on one with the admission staff?

annita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 01:53:28 PM »
Through what mode of communication am I supposed to ask for $?  I am planning to bring this up if I get a chance during admitted student day.  Would it be better to send in letter or email?  should I call?

Has anyone been to one of these ASDs? Does one get a chance to bring this kind of issue one on one with the admission staff?

If you actually want to *get* more money, I would think the ASW wouldn't be the best time -- there will be tons of people milling around with questions and requests. I'd call, first. If there seems to be openness to negotiation, you'll probably need to fax or send copies of your other offers.

Big Slick

• All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »

If you actually want to *get* more money, I would think the ASW wouldn't be the best time -- there will be tons of people milling around with questions and requests. I'd call, first. If there seems to be openness to negotiation, you'll probably need to fax or send copies of your other offers.

Good point... thanks. 

so who am I supposed to call to ask?  a person who signed my acceptance letter (usually Asst. Dean)?

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »
tag... i'm still deciding if calling/emailing/lettering/chatting in person is the best method. I've heard stories about each working... but I still don't know which would be the best.

Anyone think one is better? Anyone USED one of the methods and care to share the results?

Matokah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:29:05 PM »
Emailed DePaul a week ago.  No response to my request.

Visited Marquette a week ago.  No luck when I asked for more scholarship money in person but the recruiter suggested I email/write the assistant dean of admissions. 

Not much luck so far, apparently.  :-\

I'm going to call DePaul on Monday to verify my email was received.

Big Slick

• All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »

Visited Marquette a week ago.  No luck when I asked for more scholarship money in person but the recruiter suggested I email/write the assistant dean of admissions. 

So to whom did you address the email to? did you just send it to the general email address (like admission@abcd.edu?)

Matokah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »

So to whom did you address the email to? did you just send it to the general email address (like admission@abcd.edu?)

No, I emailed it to the person who signed my acceptance letter (who listed his email and phone number and said to write or call if I had any questions or concerns).  That's why I'm a little perturbed.  I emailed the person who told me to email him and got no response.  Thus, I shall call on Monday and see what's up. :)